- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 289537, 11 pages
Physiological and Biochemical Responses of Ulva prolifera and Ulva linza to Cadmium Stress
1College of Natural Resources and Environmental Science, Key Laboratory of Marine Biology, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210095, China
2Zhejiang Mariculture Research Institute, Zhejiang Key Laboratory of Exploitation and Preservation of Coastal Bio-Resource, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325005, China
3College of Oceanography, Huaihai Institute of Technology, Lianyungang, Jiangsu 222005, China
Received 2 January 2013; Accepted 3 February 2013
Academic Editors: J. Huang and Z. Wang
Copyright © 2013 He-ping Jiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Zhu, J. Xu, F. Wang, and B. Lee, “An assessment of selected heavy metal contamination in the surface sediments from the South China Sea before 1998,” Journal of Geochemical Exploration, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2011.
- A. Sari and M. Tuzen, “Biosorption of Pb(II) and Cd(II) from aqueous solution using green alga (Ulva lactuca) biomass,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 302–308, 2008.
- B. Xu, X. Yang, Z. Gu, Y. Zhang, Y. Chen, and Y. Lv, “The trend and extent of heavy metal accumulation over last one hundred years in the Liaodong Bay, China,” Chemosphere, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 442–446, 2009.
- P. Lodeiro, B. Cordero, J. L. Barriada, R. Herrero, and M. E. Sastre De Vicente, “Biosorption of cadmium by biomass of brown marine macroalgae,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 16, pp. 1796–1803, 2005.
- B. Volesky and Z. R. Holan, “Biosorption of heavy metals,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 235–250, 1995.
- E. A. Webster, A. J. Murphy, J. A. Chudek, and G. M. Gadd, “Metabolism-independent binding of toxic metals by Ulva lactuca: cadmium binds to oxygen-containing groups, as determined by NMR,” BioMetals, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 105–117, 1997.
- M. Kumar, P. Kumari, V. Gupta, P. A. Anisha, C. R. K. Reddy, and B. Jha, “Differential responses to cadmium induced oxidative stress in marine macroalga Ulva lactuca (Ulvales, Chlorophyta),” BioMetals, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 315–325, 2010.
- S. Hajialigol, M. A. Taher, and A. Malekpour, “A new method for the selective removal of cadmium and zion ions from aqueous solution by modified clinoptilolite,” Adsorption Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 487–496, 2006.
- P. X. Sheng, Y. P. Ting, J. P. Chen, and L. Hong, “Sorption of lead, copper, cadmium, zinc, and nickel by marine algal biomass: characterization of biosorptive capacity and investigation of mechanisms,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 131–141, 2004.
- A. El-Sikaily, A. E. Nemr, A. Khaled, and O. Abdelwehab, “Removal of toxic chromium from wastewater using green alga Ulva lactuca and its activated carbon,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 148, no. 1-2, pp. 216–228, 2007.
- S. Karthikeyan, R. Balasubramanian, and C. S. P. Iyer, “Evaluation of the marine algae Ulva fasciata and Sargassum sp. for the biosorption of Cu(II) from aqueous solutions,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 452–455, 2007.
- K. Masakorala, A. Turner, and M. T. Brown, “Influence of synthetic surfactants on the uptake of Pd, Cd and Pb by the marine macroalga, Ulva lactuca,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 897–904, 2008.
- P. J. Say, I. G. Burrows, and B. A. Whitton, “Enteromorpha as a monitor of heavy metals in estuaries,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 195, pp. 119–126, 1990.
- P. Malea, J. W. Rijstenbil, and S. Haritonidis, “Effects of cadmium, zinc and nitrogen status on non-protein thiols in the macroalgae Enteromorpha spp. from the Scheldt Estuary (SW Netherlands, Belgium) and Thermaikos Gulf (N Aegean Sea, Greece),” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 45–60, 2006.
- A. Lin, S. Shen, G. Wang et al., “Comparison of chlorophyll and photosynthesis parameters of floating and attached Ulva prolifera,” Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2011.
- C. Yarish, T. Chopin, R. Wilkes, A. C. Mathieson, X. G. Fei, and S. Lu, “Domestication of Nori for northeast America: the Asian experience,” Bulletin of Aquaculture Association of Canada, vol. 1, pp. 11–17, 1999.
- J. R. Xia, Y. J. Li, J. Lu, and B. Chen, “Effects of copper and cadmium on growth, photosynthesis, and pigment content in Gracilaria lemaneiformis,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 979–986, 2004.
- Q. Zheng, Z. Liu, G. Chen, Y. Gao, Q. Li, and J. Wang, “Comparison of osmotic regulation in dehydrationand salinity-stressed sunflower seedlings,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 966–981, 2010.
- D. P. Häder, M. Lebert, and E. W. Helbling, “Effects of solar radiation on the Patagonian macroalga Enteromorpha linza (L.) J. Agardh—Chlorophyceae,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 43–54, 2001.
- K. Kamer and P. Fong, “Nitrogen enrichment ameliorates the negative effects of reduced salinity on the green macroalga Enteromorpha intestinalis,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 218, pp. 87–93, 2001.
- F. B. Wu, J. Dong, Q. Q. Qiong, and G. P. Zhang, “Subcellular distribution and chemical form of Cd and Cd-Zn interaction in different barley genotypes,” Chemosphere, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1437–1446, 2005.
- M. B. Gilliam, M. P. Sherman, J. M. Griscavage, and L. J. Ignarro, “A spectrophotometric assay for nitrate using NADPH oxidation by Aspergillus nitrate reductase,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 359–365, 1993.
- Q. Zhou and B. Yu, “Changes in content of free, conjugated and bound polyamines and osmotic adjustment in adaptation of vetiver grass to water deficit,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 417–425, 2010.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- J. J. Irigoyen, D. W. Emerich, and M. Sanchezdiaz, “Water-stress induced changes in concentrations of proline and total soluble sugars in nodulated alfalfa (Medicago sativa) plants,” Plant Physiology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 1992.
- J. Song, G. Feng, C. Y. Tian, and F. S. Zhang, “Osmotic adjustment traits of Suaeda physophora, Haloxylon ammodendron and Haloxylon persicum in field or controlled conditions,” Plant Science, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2006.
- J. W. Markham, B. P. Kremer, and K. R. Sperling, “Cadmium effects on growth and physiology of Ulva lactuca,” Helgoländer Meeresuntersuchungen, vol. 33, no. 1–4, pp. 103–110, 1980.
- D. Liu, J. K. Keesing, Z. Dong et al., “Recurrence of the world's largest green-tide in 2009 in Yellow Sea, China: Porphyra yezoensis aquaculture rafts confirmed as nursery for macroalgal blooms,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1423–1432, 2010.
- H. A. Baumann, L. Morrison, and D. B. Stengel, “Metal accumulation and toxicity measured by PAM—Chlorophyll fluorescence in seven species of marine macroalgae,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1063–1075, 2009.
- M. P. Benavides, S. M. Gallego, and M. L. Tomaro, “Cadmium toxicity in plants,” Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 21–34, 2005.
- S. Hu, C. H. Tang, and M. Wu, “Cadmium accumulation by several seaweeds,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 65–71, 1996.
- M. T. Milone, C. Sgherri, H. Clijsters, and F. Navari-Izzo, “Antioxidative responses of wheat treated with realistic concentration of cadmium,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 265–276, 2003.
- L. Sanità Di Toppi and R. Gabbrielli, “Response to cadmium in higher plants,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 105–130, 1999.
- F. F. Nocito, L. Pirovano, M. Cocucci, and G. A. Sacchi, “Cadmium-induced sulfate uptake in maize roots,” Plant Physiology, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 1872–1879, 2002.
- Z. Ciecko, S. Kalembasa, M. Wyszkowski, and E. Rolka, “The effect of elevated cadmium content in soil on the uptake of nitrogen by plants,” Plant, Soil and Environment, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 283–294, 2004.
- H. Obata and M. Umebayashi, “Effects of cadmium on mineral nutrient concentrations in plants differing in tolerance for cadmium,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 97–105, 1997.
- I. Maksimović, R. Kastori, L. Krstić, and J. Luković, “Steady presence of cadmium and nickel affects root anatomy, accumulation and distribution of essential ions in maize seedlings,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 589–592, 2007.
- T. Ghnaya, I. Slama, D. Messedi, C. Grignon, M. H. Ghorbel, and C. Abdelly, “Effects of Cd2+ on K+, Ca2+ and N uptake in two halophytes Sesuvium portulacastrum and Mesembryanthemum crystallinum: consequences on growth,” Chemosphere, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 72–79, 2007.
- R. John, P. Ahmad, K. Gadgil, and S. Sharma, “Effect of cadmium and lead on growth, biochemical parameters and uptake in Lemna polyrrhiza L.,” Plant, Soil and Environment, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 262–270, 2008.
- S. Verma and R. S. Dubey, “Effect of cadmium on soluble sugars and enzymes of their metabolism in rice,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 2001.
- P. K. Singh and R. K. Tewari, “Cadmium toxicity induced changes in plant water relations and oxidative metabolism of Brassicajuncea L. plants,” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 2003.
- S. Jana and M. A. Choudhuri, “Synergistic effects of heavy metal pollutants on senescence in submerged aquatic plants,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 21, no. 1–4, pp. 351–357, 1984.
- D. Delmail, P. Labrousse, P. Hourdin, L. Larcher, C. Moesch, and M. Botineau, “Differential responses of Myriophyllum alterniflorum DC (Haloragaceae) organs to copper: physiological and developmental approaches,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 664, no. 1, pp. 95–105, 2011.
- R. Munns and M. Tester, “Mechanisms of salinity tolerance,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 59, pp. 651–681, 2008.