- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 425136, 7 pages
Recent Advances in the Surgical Treatment of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: A Comprehensive Review
1Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, P.O. Box 245131, Tucson, AZ 85724-5131, USA
2Division of Surgical Oncology, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Received 10 November 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editors: M. Iacobone and C. Zerrweck
Copyright © 2013 Raghunandan Venkat and Marlon A. Guerrero. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Kebebew and O. H. Clark, “Differentiated thyroid cancer: “complete” rational approach,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 942–951, 2000.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- A. R. Shaha, “Implications of prognostic factors and risk groups in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer,” Laryngoscope, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 393–402, 2004.
- B. Cady, “Our AMES is true: how an old concept still hits the mark: or, risk group assignment points the arrow to rational therapy selection in differentiated thyroid cancer,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 462–468, 1997.
- R. M. Tuttle, R. Leboeuf, and A. R. Shaha, “Medical management of thyroid cancer: a risk adapted approach,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 712–716, 2008.
- K. Y. Bilimoria, D. J. Bentrem, C. Y. Ko et al., “Extent of surgery affects survival for papillary thyroid cancer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 3, pp. 375–384, 2007.
- E. L. Mazzaferri and R. L. Young, “Papillary thyroid carcinoma: a 10 year follow-up report of the impact of therapy in 576 patients,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 511–518, 1981.
- I. D. Hay, G. B. Thompson, C. S. Grant et al., “Papillary thyroid carcinoma managed at the Mayo Clinic during six decades (1940–1999): temporal trends in initial therapy and long-term outcome in 2444 consecutively treated patients,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 879–885, 2002.
- E. L. Mazzaferri and S. M. Jhiang, “Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 418–428, 1994.
- J. J. Jong, S. W. Kang, J. S. Yun et al., “Comparative study of endoscopic thyroidectomy versus conventional open thyroidectomy in papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC) patients,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 477–480, 2009.
- J. Z. Di, H. W. Zhang, X. D. Han, et al., “Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy for accidental papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: comparison with conventional open thyroidectomy with 5 years follow-up,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 124, pp. 3293–3296, 2011.
- W. W. Kim, J. S. Kim, S. M. Hur et al., “Is robotic surgery superior to endoscopic and open surgeries in thyroid cancer?” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 779–784, 2011.
- J. Lee, J. H. Lee, K. Y. Nah, E. Y. Soh, and W. Y. Chung, “Comparison of endoscopic and robotic thyroidectomy,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1439–1446, 2011.
- Y. S. Chung, J. H. Choe, K. H. Kang et al., “Endoscopic thyroidectomy for thyroid malignancies: comparison with conventional open thyroidectomy,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 2302–2308, 2007.
- W. T. Shen, L. Ogawa, D. Ruan, I. Suh, Q. Y. Duh, and O. H. Clark, “Central neck lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid cancer: the reliability of surgeon judgment in predicting which patients will benefit,” Surgery, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 398–403, 2010.
- T. A. Moo, J. McGill, J. Allendorf, J. Lee, T. Fahey, and R. Zarnegar, “Impact of prophylactic central neck lymph node dissection on early recurrence in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1187–1191, 2010.
- M. A. Rosenbaum and C. R. McHenry, “Central neck dissection for papillary thyroid cancer,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 135, no. 11, pp. 1092–1097, 2009.
- M. Perrino, G. Vannucchi, L. Vicentini et al., “Outcome predictors and impact of central node dissection and radiometabolic treatments in papillary thyroid cancers cm,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 201–210, 2009.
- M. Sywak, L. Cornford, P. Roach, P. Stalberg, S. Sidhu, and L. Delbridge, “Routine ipsilateral level VI lymphadenectomy reduces postoperative thyroglobulin levels in papillary thyroid cancer,” Surgery, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1000–1007, 2006.
- W. A. Hawk and J. B. Hazard, “The many appearances of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid,” Cleveland Clinic Quarterly, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 207–215, 1976.
- J. J. Michels, M. Jacques, M. Henry-Amar, and S. Bardet, “Prevalence and prognostic significance of tall cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 212–219, 2007.
- A. K. C. Leung, S. M. Chow, and S. C. K. Law, “Clinical features and outcome of the tall cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Laryngoscope, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2008.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Revised American thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1167–1214, 2009.
- A. R. Shaha, J. P. Shah, and T. R. Loree, “Low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer: the need for selective treatment,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 328–333, 1997.
- J. B. Morris and W. J. Schirmer, “The “right stuff”: five nobel prize-winning surgeons,” Surgery, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 71–80, 1990.
- L. Brunaud, R. Zarnegar, N. Wada, P. Ituarte, O. H. Clark, and Q. Y. Duh, “Incision length for standard thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy: when is it minimally invasive?” Archives of Surgery, vol. 138, no. 10, pp. 1140–1143, 2003.
- C. S. Huscher, S. Chiodini, C. Napolitano, and A. Recher, “Endoscopic right thyroid lobectomy,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 11, article 877, 1997.
- P. Miccoli, P. Berti, C. Bendinelli, M. Conte, F. Fasolini, and E. Martino, “Minimally invasive video-assisted surgery of the thyroid: a preliminary report,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 385, no. 4, pp. 261–264, 2000.
- W. B. Inabnet III, B. P. Jacob, and M. Gagner, “Minimally invasive endoscopic thyroidectomy by a cervical approach: early vessel ligation decreases the duration of surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1808–1811, 2003.
- Y. Ikeda, H. Takami, Y. Sasaki, S. Kan, and M. Niimi, “Endoscopic neck surgery by the axillary approach,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 336–340, 2000.
- F. F. Palazzo, F. Sebag, and J. F. Henry, “Endocrine surgical technique: endoscopic thyroidectomy via the lateral approach,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 339–342, 2006.
- P. Miccoli, P. Berti, G. L. Frustaci, C. E. Ambrosini, and G. Materazzi, “Video-assisted thyroidectomy: indications and results,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 391, no. 2, pp. 68–71, 2006.
- S. W. Kang, S. C. Lee, S. H. Lee et al., “Robotic thyroid surgery using a gasless, transaxillary approach and the da Vinci S system: the operative outcomes of 338 consecutive patients,” Surgery, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 1048–1055, 2009.
- R. B. Kuppersmith and F. C. Holsinger, “Robotic thyroid surgery: an initial experience with North American patients,” Laryngoscope, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 521–526, 2011.
- D. Fritze and G. M. Doherty, “Surgical management of cervical lymph nodes in differentiated thyroid cancer,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 285–300, 2010.
- S. Bardet, E. Malville, J. P. Rame et al., “Macroscopic lymph-node involvement and neck dissection predict lymph-node recurrence in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 551–560, 2008.
- F. Arturi, D. Russo, D. Giuffrida et al., “Early diagnosis by genetic analysis of differentiated thyroid cancer metastases in small lymph nodes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 1638–1641, 1997.
- I. D. Hay, C. S. Grant, W. F. Taylor, and W. M. McConahey, “Ipsilateral lobectomy versus bilateral lobar resection in papillary thyroid carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of surgical outcome using a novel prognostic scoring system,” Surgery, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 1088–1095, 1987.
- J. D. Brierley, T. Panzarella, R. W. Tsang, et al., “A comparison of different staging systems predictability of patient outcome. Thyroid carcinoma as an example,” Cancer, vol. 79, pp. 2414–2423, 1997.
- S. E. Carty, D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty et al., “Consensus statement on the terminology and classification of central neck dissection for thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1153–1158, 2009.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, G. M. Doherty, and D. L. Steward, “The pros and cons of prophylactic central compartment lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 683–689, 2009.
- V. Zaydfudim, I. D. Feurer, M. R. Griffin, and J. E. Phay, “The impact of lymph node involvement on survival in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma,” Surgery, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 1070–1078, 2008.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “What is the optimal initial treatment of low-risk papillary thyroid cancer (and why is it controversial)?” Oncology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 579–588, 2009.
- J. A. Pereira, J. Jimeno, J. Miquel et al., “Nodal yield, morbidity, and recurrence after central neck dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Surgery, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 1095–1101, 2005.
- M. A. Kouvaraki, S. E. Shapiro, B. D. Fornage et al., “Role of preoperative ultrasonography in the surgical management of patients with thyroid cancer,” Surgery, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 946–954, 2003.
- J. F. Moley and M. K. DeBenedetti, “Patterns of nodal metastases in palpable medullary thyroid carcinoma: recommendations for extent of node dissection,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 229, no. 6, pp. 880–888, 1999.
- G. F. W. Scheumann, O. Gimm, G. Wegener, H. Hundeshagen, H. Dralle, and B. Cady, “Prognostic significance and surgical management of locoregional lymph node metastases in papillary thyroid cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 559–568, 1994.
- L. E. Tisell, B. Nilsson, J. Mölne et al., “Improved survival of patients with papillary thyroid cancer after surgical microdissection,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 854–859, 1996.
- C. X. Shan, W. Zhang, D. Z. Jiang, et al., “Routine central neck dissection in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 122, pp. 797–804, 2012.
- E. Gemsenjäger, A. Perren, B. Seifert, G. Schüler, I. Schweizer, and P. U. Heitz, “Lymph node surgery in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 182–190, 2003.
- Y. Ito, C. Tomoda, T. Uruno et al., “Preoperative ultrasonographic examination for lymph node metastasis: usefulness when designing lymph node dissection for papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 498–501, 2004.
- M. E. Kupferman, M. Patterson, S. J. Mandel, V. LiVolsi, and R. S. Weber, “Patterns of lateral neck metastasis in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 857–860, 2004.
- N. R. Caron, Y. Y. Tan, J. B. Ogilvie et al., “Selective modified radical neck dissection for papillary thyroid cancer—is level I, II and V dissection always necessary?” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 833–840, 2006.
- M. Xing, “Prognostic utility of BRAF mutation in papillary thyroid cancer,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 321, no. 1, pp. 86–93, 2010.
- Y. E. Nikiforov, “Molecular analysis of thyroid tumors,” Modern Pathology, vol. 242, supplement 2, pp. S34–S43, 2011.
- Y. E. Nikiforov and M. N. Nikiforova, “Molecular genetics and diagnosis of thyroid cancer,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 7, pp. 569–580, 2011.
- A. L. Melck, L. Yip, and S. E. Carty, “The utility of BRAF testing in the management of papillary thyroid cancer,” Oncologist, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1285–1293, 2010.