- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 543696, 6 pages
Goblet Cell Carcinoids of the Appendix
Department of Medicine V, Aarhus University Hospital, 44 Norrebrogade, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Received 11 November 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editors: H. C. Lin, D. Morris, and L. Roncucci
Copyright © 2013 Nanna Holt and Henning Grønbæk. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. B. Abt and S. L. Carter, “Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix. An ultrastructural and histochemical study,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 301–306, 1976.
- N. H. Anderson, J. E. Somerville, C. F. Johnston, D. M. Hayes, K. D. Buchanan, and J. M. Sloan, “Appendiceal goblet cell carcinoids: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study,” Histopathology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 61–65, 1991.
- P. H. Cooper and R. L. Warkel, “Ultrastructure of the goblet cell type of adenocarcinoid of the appendix,” Cancer, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2687–2695, 1978.
- R. Kanthan, A. Saxena, and S. C. Kanthan, “Goblet cell carcinoids of the appendix: immunophenotype and ultrastructural study,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 386–390, 2001.
- B. T. Lin and A. M. Gown, “Mixed carcinoid and adenocarcinoma of the appendix: report of 4 cases with immunohistochemical studies and a review of the literature,” Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 271–276, 2004.
- D. M. Ramnani, I. I. Wistuba, C. Behrens, A. F. Gazdar, L. H. Sobin, and J. Albores-Saavedra, “K-ras and p53 mutations in the pathogenesis of classical and goblet cell carcinoids of the appendix,” Cancer, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 1999.
- M. Stancu, T. T. Wu, C. Wallace, P. S. Houlihan, S. R. Hamilton, and A. Rashid, “Genetic alterations in goblet cell carcinoids of the vermiform appendix and comparison with gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors,” Modern Pathology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1189–1198, 2003.
- S. G. Subbuswamy, N. M. Gibbs, C. F. Ross, and B. C. Morson, “Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix,” Cancer, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 338–344, 1974.
- F. Gagné, P. Fortin, V. Dufour, and C. Delage, “Tumors of the appendix associating histologic features of carcinoid and adenocarcinoma,” Annales d'Anatomie Pathologique, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 393–406, 1969.
- X. Gui, L. Qin, Z. H. Gao, V. Falck, and N. Harpaz, “Goblet cell carcinoids at extraappendiceal locations of gastrointestinal tract: an underrecognized diagnostic pitfall,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 790–795, 2011.
- P. H. Watson and A. Alguacil-Garcia, “Mixed crypt cell carcinoma. A clinicopathological study of the so-called ‘Goblet cell carcinoid’,” Virchows Archiv A, vol. 412, no. 2, pp. 175–182, 1987.
- L. H. Tang, J. Shia, R. A. Soslow et al., “Pathologic classification and clinical behavior of the spectrum of goblet cell carcinoid tumors of the appendix,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1429–1443, 2008.
- Y. Jiang, H. Long, T. Li, W. Wang, H. Liu, and X. Zhang, “Schistosomiasis may contribute to goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 565–568, 2012.
- A. C. Goede, M. E. Caplin, and M. C. Winslet, “Carcinoid tumour of the appendix,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1317–1322, 2003.
- K. Hemminki and X. Li, “Incidence trends and risk factors of carcinoid tumors: a nationwide epidemiologic study from Sweden,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 2204–2210, 2001.
- M. E. McCusker, T. R. Coté, L. X. Clegg, and L. H. Sobin, “Primary malignant neoplasms of the appendix: a population-based study from the surveillance, epidemiology and end-results program, 1973–1998,” Cancer, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 3307–3312, 2002.
- T. H. Pham, B. Wolff, S. C. Abraham, and E. Drelichman, “Surgical and chemotherapy treatment outcomes of goblet cell carcinoid: a tertiary cancer center experience,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 370–376, 2006.
- B. Varisco, B. McAlvin, J. Dias, and D. Franga, “Adenocarcinoid of the appendix: is right hemicolectomy necessary? A meta-analysis of retrospective chart reviews,” American Surgeon, vol. 70, no. 7, pp. 593–599, 2004.
- P. Bucher, P. Gervaz, F. Ris, W. Oulhaci, J. F. Egger, and P. Morel, “Surgical treatment of appendiceal adenocarcinoid (goblet cell carcinoid),” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1436–1439, 2005.
- S. J. Connor, G. B. Hanna, and F. A. Frizelle, “Appendiceal tumors: retrospective clinicopathologic analysis of appendiceal tumors from 7,970 appendectomies,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 1998.
- U. Knigge and C. P. Hansen, “Appendicial carcinoid tumors and goblet cell carcinoids,” Ugeskrift for Læger, vol. 172, no. 22, pp. 1678–1681, 2010.
- E. Liu, D. A. Telem, R. R. Warner, A. Dikman, and C. M. Divino, “The role of Ki-67 in predicting biological behavior of goblet cell carcinoid tumor in appendix,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 202, no. 4, pp. 400–403, 2011.
- Y. Jiang, H. Long, W. Wang, H. Liu, Y. Tang, and X. Zhang, “Clinicopathological features and immunoexpression profiles of goblet cell carcinoid and typical carcinoid of the appendix,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 127–132, 2011.
- C. Toumpanakis, R. A. Standish, E. Baishnab, M. C. Winslet, and M. E. Caplin, “Goblet cell carcinoid tumors (adenocarcinoid) of the appendix,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 315–322, 2007.
- K. O. Alsaad, S. Serra, A. Schmitt, A. Perren, and R. Chetty, “Cytokeratins 7 and 20 immunoexpression profile in goblet cell and classical carcinoids of appendix,” Endocrine Pathology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2007.
- J. A. Butler, A. Houshiar, F. Lin, S. E. Wilson, N. P. Lang, and S. A. Curley, “Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 168, no. 6, pp. 685–687, 1994.
- R. L. Warkel, P. H. Cooper, and E. B. Helwig, “Adenocarcinoid, a mucin-producing carcinoid tumor of the appendix: a study of 39 cases,” Cancer, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2781–2793, 1978.
- K. T. Chen, “Appendiceal adenocarcinoid with ovarian metastasis,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 286–288, 1990.
- H. Mahteme and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis from adenocarcinoid of appendiceal origin,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 1168–1173, 2004.
- U. Plöckinger, A. Couvelard, M. Falconi et al., “Consensus guidelines for the management of patients with digestive neuroendocrine tumours: well-differentiated tumour/carcinoma of the appendix and goblet cell carcinoma,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 20–30, 2008.
- R. R. P. Warner and T. M. O'Dorisio, “Radiolabeled peptides in diagnosis and tumor imaging: clinical overview,” Seminars in Nuclear Medicine, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 2002.
- B. Eriksson, M. Bergstrom, A. Sundin, C. Juhlin, H. Orlefors, K. Oberg, et al., “The role of PET in localization of neuroendocrine and adrenocortical tumors,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 970, pp. 159–169, 2002.
- U. F. Pape, A. Perren, B. Niederle, D. Gross, T. Gress, F. Costa, et al., “ENETS consensus guidelines for the management of patients with neuroendocrine neoplasms from the jejuno-ileum and the appendix including goblet cell carcinomas,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 135–156, 2012.
- R. C. Thirlby, C. S. Kasper, and R. C. Jones, “Metastatic carcinoid tumor of the appendix. Report of a case and review of the literature,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 1984.
- J. C. Byrn, J. L. Wang, C. M. Divino, S. Q. Nguyen, and R. R. P. Warner, “Management of goblet cell carcinoid,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 396–402, 2006.
- J. P. Boudreaux, D. S. Klimstra, M. M. Hassan et al., “The NANETS consensus guideline for the diagnosis and management of neuroendocrine tumors: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the jejunum, ileum, appendix, and cecum,” Pancreas, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 753–766, 2010.
- P. S. Pahlavan and R. Kanthan, “Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 3, article 36, 2005.
- P. Cashin, P. Nygren, P. Hellman, D. Granberg, H. Andréasson, and H. Mahteme, “Appendiceal adenocarcinoids with peritoneal carcinomatosis treated with cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy: a retrospective study of in vitro drug sensitivity and survival,” Clinical Colorectal Cancer, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 108–112, 2011.