- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
This article has been retracted as it is found to contain a substantial amount of material from a number of previously published papers. The three most plagiarized papers are: (1) K. I. Hidari and T. Suzuki, “Dengue virus receptor,” Tropical Medicine and Health, vol. 39, no. 4, supplement, pp. 37–43, 2011. (2) A. Cabrera-Hernandez and D. R. Smith, “Mammalian dengue virus receptors,” Dengue Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 662, pp. 119–135, 2005. (3) A. Cabrera-Hernandez, C.Thepparit, L. Suksanpaisan, and D. R. Smith, “Dengue virus entry into liver (HepG2) cells is independent of hsp90 and hsp70,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 386–392, 2007.
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 684690, 6 pages
Recent Advances in DENV Receptors
Department of Microbiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, China
Received 27 February 2013; Accepted 3 April 2013
Academic Editors: G. Borkow and E. J. Im
Copyright © 2013 Shuyu Fang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. C. McMinn, “The molecular basis of virulence of the encephalitogenic flaviviruses,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 2711–2722, 1997.
- J. F. L. Chin, J. J. H. Chu, and M. L. Ng, “The envelope glycoprotein domain III of dengue virus serotypes 1 and 2 inhibit virus entry,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2007.
- K. Stiasny, C. Kössl, J. Lepault, F. A. Rey, and F. X. Heinz, “Characterization of a structural intermediate of flavivirus membrane fusion,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 3, no. 2, p. e20, 2007.
- R. Perera and R. J. Kuhn, “Structural proteomics of dengue virus,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 369–377, 2008.
- S. Bressanelli, K. Stiasny, S. L. Allison et al., “Structure of a flavivirus envelope glycoprotein in its low-pH-induced membrane fusion conformation,” EMBO Journal, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 728–738, 2004.
- M. Kielian and F. A. Rey, “Virus membrane-fusion proteins: More than one way to make a hairpin,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 2006.
- S. Mukhopadhyay, R. J. Kuhn, and M. G. Rossmann, “A structural perspective of the Flavivirus life cycle,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2005.
- S. Miller, S. Kastner, J. Krijnse-Locker, S. Bühler, and R. Bartenschlager, “The non-structural protein 4A of dengue virus is an integral membrane protein inducing membrane alterations in a 2K-regulated manner,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 12, pp. 8873–8882, 2007.
- S. Miller and J. Krijnse-Locker, “Modification of intracellular membrane structures for virus replication,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 363–374, 2008.
- S. Welsch, S. Miller, I. Romero-Brey et al., “Composition and three-dimensional architecture of the dengue virus replication and assembly sites,” Cell Host and Microbe, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 365–375, 2009.
- S. J. L. Wu, G. Grouard-Vogel, W. Sun et al., “Human skin Langerhans cells are targets of dengue virus infection,” Nature Medicine, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 816–820, 2000.
- E. Navarro-Sanchez, R. Altmeyer, A. Amara et al., “Dendritic-cell-specific ICAM3-grabbing non-integrin is essential for the productive infection of human dendritic cells by mosquito-cell-derived dengue viruses,” EMBO Reports, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 723–728, 2003.
- B. Tassaneetrithep, T. H. Burgess, A. Granelli-Piperno et al., “DC-SIGN (CD209) mediates dengue virus infection of human dendritic cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 197, no. 7, pp. 823–829, 2003.
- P. Y. Lozach, L. Burleigh, I. Staropoli et al., “Dendritic cell-specific intercellular adhesion molecule 3-grabbing non-integrin (DC-SIGN)-mediated enhancement of dengue virus infection is independent of DC-SIGN internalization signals,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 25, pp. 23698–23708, 2005.
- M. M. F. Alen, S. J. F. Kaptein, T. De Burghgraeve, J. Balzarini, J. Neyts, and D. Schols, “Antiviral activity of carbohydrate-binding agents and the role of DC-SIGN in dengue virus infection,” Virology, vol. 387, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2009.
- E. Pokidysheva, Y. Zhang, A. J. Battisti et al., “Cryo-EM reconstruction of dengue virus in complex with the carbohydrate recognition domain of DC-SIGN,” Cell, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 485–493, 2006.
- K. Hacker, L. White, and A. M. de Silva, “N-linked glycans on dengue viruses grown in mammalian and insect cells,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 2097–2106, 2009.
- M. M. F. Alen, T. de Burghgraeve, S. J. F. Kaptein, J. Balzarini, J. Neyts, and D. Schols, “Broad Antiviral activity of Carbohydrate-binding agents against the four serotypes of dengue virus in monocyte-derived dendritic cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e21658, 2011.
- J. L. Miller, B. J. M. DeWet, L. Martinez-Pomares et al., “The mannose receptor mediates dengue virus infection of macrophages,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 4, no. 2, p. e17, 2008.
- S. T. Chen, Y. L. Lin, M. T. Huang et al., “CLEC5A is critical for dengue-virus-induced lethal disease,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7195, pp. 672–676, 2008.
- K. Triantafilou, M. Triantafilou, and R. L. Dedrick, “A CD14-independent LPS receptor cluster,” Nature Immunology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 338–345, 2001.
- Y. Chen, T. Maguire, R. E. Hileman et al., “Dengue virus infectivity depends on envelope protein binding to target cell heparan sulfate,” Nature Medicine, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 866–871, 1997.
- Y. C. Chen, S. Y. Wang, and C. C. King, “Bacterial lipopolysaccharide inhibits dengue virus infection of primary human monocytes/macrophages by blockade of virus entry via a CD14-dependent mechanism,” Journal of Virology, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 2650–2657, 1999.
- J. Reyes-Del Valle, S. Chávez-Salinas, F. Medina, and R. M. Del Angel, “Heat shock protein 90 and heat shock protein 70 are components of dengue virus receptor complex in human cells,” Journal of Virology, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 4557–4567, 2005.
- H. Y. Wei, L. F. Jiang, D. Y. Fang, and H. Y. Guo, “Dengue virus type 2 infects human endothelial cells through binding of the viral envelope glycoprotein to cell surface polypeptides,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 3095–3098, 2003.
- I. Bosch, K. Xhaja, L. Estevez et al., “Increased production of interleukin-8 in primary human monocytes and in human epithelial and endothelial cell lines after dengue virus challenge,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 5588–5597, 2002.
- F. Kiessling, C. Haller, and J. Kartenbeck, “Cell-cell contacts in the human cell line ECV304 exhibit both endothelial and epithelial characteristics,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 297, no. 1, pp. 131–140, 1999.
- K. J. L. Liew and V. T. K. Chow, “Differential display RT-PCR analysis of ECV304 endothelial-like cells infected with dengue virus type 2 reveals messenger RNA expression profiles of multiple human genes involved in known and novel roles,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 597–609, 2004.
- N. Dalrymple and E. R. Mackow, “Productive dengue virus infection of human endothelial cells is directed by heparan sulfate-containing proteoglycan receptors,” Journal of Virology, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 9478–9485, 2011.
- P. Hilgard and R. Stockert, “Heparan sulfate proteoglycans initiate dengue virus infection of hepatocytes,” Hepatology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1069–1077, 2000.
- B. K. Thaisomboonsuk, E. T. Clayson, S. Pantuwatana, D. W. Vaughn, and T. P. Endy, “Characterization of dengue-2 virus binding to surfaces of mammalian and insect cells,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 375–383, 2005.
- J. De Jesús Martínez-Barragán and R. M. Del Angel, “Identification of a putative coreceptor on Vero cells that participates in dengue 4 virus infection,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 17, pp. 7818–7827, 2001.
- R. Germi, J. M. Crance, D. Garin et al., “Heparan sulfate-mediated binding of infectious dengue virus type 2 and yellow fever virus,” Virology, vol. 292, no. 1, pp. 162–168, 2002.
- C. Thepparit, W. Phoolcharoen, L. Suksanpaisan, and D. R. Smith, “Internalization and propagation of the dengue virus in human hepatoma (HepG2) cells,” Intervirology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 78–86, 2004.
- H. Bielefeldt-Ohmann, M. Meyer, D. R. Fitzpatrick, and J. S. Mackenzie, “Dengue virus binding to human leukocyte cell lines: Receptor usage differs between cell types and virus strains,” Virus Research, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 2001.
- Y. L. Lin, H. Y. Lei, Y. S. Lin, T. M. Yeh, S. H. Chen, and H. S. Liu, “Heparin inhibits dengue-2 virus infection of five human liver cell lines,” Antiviral Research, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 93–96, 2002.
- J. J. Hung, M. T. Hsieh, M. J. Young, C. L. Kao, C. C. King, and W. Chang, “An external loop region of domain III of dengue virus type 2 envelope protein is involved in serotype-specific binding to mosquito but not mammalian cells,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 378–388, 2004.
- R. M. Marks, H. Lu, R. Sundaresan et al., “Probing the interaction of dengue virus envelope protein with heparin: Assessment of glycosaminoglycan-derived inhibitors,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 13, pp. 2178–2187, 2001.
- P. Pattnaik, J. P. Babu, S. K. Verma, V. Tak, and P. V. L. Rao, “Bacterially expressed and refolded envelope protein (domain III) of dengue virus type-4 binds heparan sulfate,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 846, no. 1-2, pp. 184–194, 2007.
- M. Götte, “Syndecans in inflammation,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 575–591, 2003.
- G. Mertens, J. J. Cassiman, H. Van den Berghe, J. Vermylen, and G. David, “Cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans from human vascular endothelial cells. Core protein characterization and antithrombin III binding properties,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 28, pp. 20435–20443, 1992.
- J. L. Zhang, J. L. Wang, N. Gao, Z. T. Chen, Y. P. Tian, and J. An, “Up-regulated expression of β3 integrin induced by dengue virus serotype 2 infection associated with virus entry into human dermal microvascular endothelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 356, no. 3, pp. 763–768, 2007.
- A. Couvelard, P. Marianneau, C. Bedel et al., “Report of a fatal case of dengue infection with hepatitis: Demonstration of dengue antigens in hepatocytes and liver apoptosis,” Human Pathology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1106–1110, 1999.
- L. Rosen, M. T. Drouet, and V. Deubel, “Detection of dengue virus RNA by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction in the liver and lymphoid organs but not in the brain in fatal human infection,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 720–724, 1999.
- M. R. Huerre, N. Trong Lan, P. Marianneau et al., “Liver histopathology and biological correlates in five cases of fatal dengue fever in Vietnamese children,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 438, no. 2, pp. 107–115, 2001.
- C. Thepparit and D. R. Smith, “Serotype-specific entry of dengue virus into liver cells: Identification of the 37-kilodalton/67-kilodalton high-affinity laminin receptor as a dengue virus serotype 1 receptor,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 22, pp. 12647–12656, 2004.
- C. Hundt, J. M. Peyrin, S. Haïk et al., “Identification of interaction domains of the prion protein with its 37-kDa/67-kDa laminin receptor,” EMBO Journal, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 5876–5886, 2001.
- S. Jindadamrongwech, C. Thepparit, and D. R. Smith, “Identification of GRP 78 (BiP) as a liver cell expressed receptor element for dengue virus serotype 2,” Archives of Virology, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 915–927, 2004.
- A. Cabrera-Hernandez, C. Thepparit, L. Suksanpaisan, and D. R. Smith, “Dengue virus entry into liver (HepG2) cells is independent of hsp90 and hsp70,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 386–392, 2007.
- E. J. Soilleux, R. Barten, and J. Trowsdale, “Cutting edge: DC-SIGN; a related gene, DC-SIGNR; and CD23 form a cluster on 19p13,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 6, pp. 2937–2942, 2000.
- A. Engering, S. J. Van Vliet, K. Hebeda et al., “Dynamic populations of dendritic cell-specific ICAM-3 grabbing nonintegrin-positive immature dendritic cells and liver/lymph node-specific ICAM-3 grabbing nonintegrin-positive endothelial cells in the outer zones of the paracortex of human lymph nodes,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 1587–1595, 2004.
- A. A. Bashirova, T. B. H. Geijtenbeek, G. C. F. Van Duijnhoven et al., “A dendritic cell-specific intercellular adhesion molecule 3-grabbing nonintegrin (DC-SIGN)-related protein is highly expressed on human liver sinusoidal endothelial cells and promotes HIV-1 infection,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 193, no. 6, pp. 671–678, 2001.
- A. Cabrera-Hernandez and D. R. Smith, “Mammalian dengue virus receptors,” Dengue Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 662, pp. 119–135, 2005.
- S. B. Halstead, “Dengue,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9599, pp. 1644–1652, 2007.
- S. B. Halstead and E. J. O'Rourke, “Dengue viruses and mononuclear phagocytes. I. Infection enhancement by non-neutralizing antibody,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 201–217, 1977.
- J. S. Salas-Benito and R. M. Del Angel, “Identification of two surface proteins from C6/36 cells that bind dengue type 4 virus,” Journal of Virology, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 7246–7252, 1997.
- M. Y. Mendoza, J. S. Salas-Benito, H. Lanz-Mendoza, S. Hernández-Martinez, and R. M. Del Angel, “A putative receptor for dengue virus in mosquito tissues: localization of a 45-KDA glycoprotein,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 76–84, 2002.
- M. De Lourdes Muñoz, A. Cisneros, J. Cruz, P. Das, R. Tovar, and A. Ortega, “Putative dengue virus receptors from mosquito cells,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 251–258, 1998.
- R. F. Mercado-Curiel, H. A. Esquinca-Avilés, R. Tovar, Á. Díaz-Badillo, M. Camacho-Nuez, and M. D. L. Muñoz, “The four serotypes of dengue recognize the same putative receptors in Aedes aegypti midgut and Ae. albopictus cells,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 6, article 85, 2006.
- D. R. Smith, “An update on mosquito cell expressed dengue virus receptor proteins,” Insect Molecular Biology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- P. Sakoonwatanyoo, V. Boonsanay, and D. R. Smith, “Growth and production of the dengue virus in C6/36 cells and identification of a laminin-binding protein as a candidate serotype 3 and 4 receptor protein,” Intervirology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 161–172, 2006.
- A. Kuadkitkan, N. Wikan, C. Fongsaran, and D. R. Smith, “Identification and characterization of prohibitin as a receptor protein mediating DENV-2 entry into insect cells,” Virology, vol. 406, no. 1, pp. 149–161, 2010.
- M. S. Paingankar, M. D. Gokhale, and D. N. Deobagkar, “Dengue-2-virus-interacting polypeptides involved in mosquito cell infection,” Archives of Virology, vol. 155, no. 9, pp. 1453–1461, 2010.
- K. Stiasny, C. Koessl, and F. X. Heinz, “Involvement of lipids in different steps of the flavivirus fusion mechanism,” Journal of Virology, vol. 77, no. 14, pp. 7856–7862, 2003.