- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 693514, 7 pages
Prognosis of Elderly Japanese Patients Aged ≥80 Years Undergoing Hemodialysis
1Department of Urology, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu-chou, Hirosaki 036-8562, Japan
2Department of Urology, Oyokyo Kidney Research Institute, Hirosaki 036-8243, Japan
3Department of Advanced Transplant and Regenerative Medicine, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Hirosaki 036-8562, Japan
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 3 September 2013
Academic Editors: R. Ando, F. Hinoshita, S. Kuriyama, and R. Sakai
Copyright © 2013 Shingo Hatakeyama et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Imai, M. Horio, K. Iseki et al., “Prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in the Japanese general population predicted by the MDRD equation modified by a Japanese coefficient,” Clinical and Experimental Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 156–163, 2007.
- E. Imai, M. Horio, T. Watanabe et al., “Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in the Japanese general population,” Clinical and Experimental Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 621–630, 2009.
- Patient Registration Committee, An Overview of Regular Dialysis Treatment in Japan, Japanese Society of Dialysis Therapy, 2012.
- Statistics and Information Department, Life Expectancies at Specified Ages, Vital Statistics of Japan, Ministers' Secretariat, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2008.
- S. Matsuo, E. Imai, M. Horio et al., “Revised Equations for Estimated GFR From Serum Creatinine in Japan,” The American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 982–992, 2009.
- G. Manjunath, M. J. Sarnak, and A. S. Levey, “Prediction equations to estimate glomerular filtration rate: an update,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 785–792, 2001.
- M. M. Oken, R. H. Creech, and T. E. Davis, “Toxicology and response criteria of the eastern cooperative oncology group,” The American Journal of Clinical Oncology: Cancer Clinical Trials, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 649–655, 1982.
- M. Fukagawa, K. Yokoyama, F. Koiwa et al., “Clinical practice guideline for the management of chronic kidney disease-mineral and bone disorder,” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 247–288, 2013.
- H. Hirakata, K. Nitta, M. Inaba et al., “Japanese society for dialysis therapy guidelines for management of cardiovascular diseases in patients on chronic hemodialysis,” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 387–435, 2012.
- A. K. Akobeng, “Understanding diagnostic tests 3: receiver operating characteristic curves,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 644–647, 2007.
- P. L. Neves, A. Sousa, I. Bernardo et al., “Chronic haemodialysis for very old patients,” Age and Ageing, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 356–359, 1994.
- L. Vandelli, G. Medici, S. Perrone, and E. Lusvarghi, “Haemodialysis therapy in the elderly,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 89–94, 1996.
- B. Röhrich, D. von Herrath, G. Asmus, and K. Schaefer, “The elderly dialysis patient: management of the hospital stay,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 69–72, 1998.
- K. Schaefer and B. Röhrich, “The dilemma of renal replacement therapy patients over 80 years of age. Dialysis should not be withheld,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 35–36, 1999.
- S. K. Munshi, N. Vijayakumar, N. A. Taub, H. Bhullar, T. C. N. Lo, and G. Warwick, “Outcome of renal replacement therapy in the very elderly,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 2001.
- U. N. Peri, A. Z. Fenves, and J. P. Middleton, “Improving survival of octogenarian patients selected of haemodialysis,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 2201–2206, 2001.
- D. Joly, D. Anglicheau, C. Alberti et al., “Octogenarians reaching end-stage renal disease: cohort study of decision-making and clinical outcomes,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1012–1021, 2003.
- B. Faller, J. B. Beuscart, L. Frimat, and The Association des néphrologues de l'Est, “Competing-risk analysis of death and dialysis initiation among elderly (≥80 years) newly referred to nephrologists: a French prospective study,” BMC Nephrology, vol. 14, article 103, 2013.
- R. C. Carson, M. Juszczak, A. Davenport, and A. Burns, “Is maximum conservative management an equivalent treatment option to dialysis for elderly patients with significant comorbid disease?” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1611–1619, 2009.
- World Health Organization and Ebrary Inc., World Health Statistics 2008, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- A. Smyth, “End-stage renal disease and renal replacement therapy in older patients,” Nephro-Urology Monthly, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 425–430, 2012.
- M. K. Tamura and W. C. Winkelmayer, “Treated and untreated kidney failure in older adults: what's the right balance?” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 23, pp. 2545–2546, 2012.
- F. E. M. Murtagh, J. E. Marsh, P. Donohoe, N. J. Ekbal, N. S. Sheerin, and F. E. Harris, “Dialysis or not? A comparative survival study of patients over 75 years with chronic kidney disease stage 5,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1955–1962, 2007.
- S. M. Chandna, M. Da Silva-Gane, C. Marshall, P. Warwicker, R. N. Greenwood, and K. Farrington, “Survival of elderly patients with stage 5 CKD: comparison of conservative management and renal replacement therapy,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1608–1614, 2011.
- N. Demoulin, C. Beguin, L. Labriola, and M. Jadoul, “Preparing renal replacement therapy in stage 4 CKD patients referred to nephrologists: a difficult balance between futility and insufficiency. A cohort study of 386 patients followed in Brussels,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 220–226, 2011.
- D. L. Lamping, N. Constantinovici, P. Roderick et al., “Clinical outcomes, quality of life, and costs in the North Thames dialysis study of elderly people on dialysis: a prospective cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9241, pp. 1543–1550, 2000.
- M. K. Tamura, K. E. Covinsky, G. M. Chertow, K. Yaffe, C. S. Landefeld, and C. E. McCulloch, “Functional status of elderly adults before and after initiation of dialysis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 16, pp. 1539–1547, 2009.