- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 746254, 5 pages
The Aquatic Environment as a Reservoir of Vibrio cholerae O1 in Hydrographic Basins of the State of Pernambuco, Brazil
1Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhães, FIOCRUZ-PE, Avendia Professor Moraes Rego, s/n. Cidade Universitária, 50670-420 Recife, PE, Brazil
2Laboratório Central de Saúde Pública Dr. Milton Bezerra Sobral (LACEN-PE), Secretaria Estadual de Saúde de Pernambuco (SES-PE), Praça Oswaldo Cruz, s/n. Boa Vista, 50050-911 Recife, PE, Brazil
3Instituto Oswaldo Cruz (IOC), FIOCRUZ-RJ, Avenida Brasil, 4365 Manguinhos, 21040-360 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 6 December 2012; Accepted 23 January 2013
Academic Editors: K. Ohmiya, J. L. Romalde, and D. Zhou
Copyright © 2013 Carina Lucena Mendes-Marques et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Goel, M. Jain, P. Kumar, S. Bhadauria, D. V. Kmboj, and L. Singh, “A new variant of Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor causing cholera in India,” Journal of Infection, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 280–281, 2008.
- A. Safa, G. B. Nair, and R. Y. C. Kong, “Evolution of new variants of Vibrio cholerae O1,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 18, pp. 46–54, 2010.
- S. Chatterjee, K. Ghosh, A. Raychoudhuri et al., “Incidence, virulence factors, and clonality among clinical strains of non-O1, non-O139 Vibrio cholerae isolates from hospitalized diarrheal patients in Kolkata, India,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1087–1095, 2009.
- G. N. D. Theophilo, D. P. Rodrigues, N. C. Leal, and E. Hofer, “Distribution of virulence markers in clinical and environmental Vibrio cholerae non-O1/non-O139 strains isolated in Brazil from 1991 to 2000,” The Revista Do Instituto De Medicina Tropical De Sao Paulo, vol. 48, pp. 65–67, 2006.
- F. A. M. O. Cariri, A. P. R. Costa, C. C. Melo et al., “Characterization of potentially virulent non-O1/non-O139 Vibrio cholerae strains isolated from human patients,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2010.
- R. R. Colwell, “Global climate change and infectious diseases: the cholera paradigm,” Science, vol. 274, pp. 2025–2031, 1996.
- N. C. Leal, A. C. de Araújo Figueiroa, V. O. Cavalcanti et al., “Characterization of Vibrio cholerae isolated from the aquatic basins of the State of Pernambuco, Brazil,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 102, pp. 272–276, 2008.
- C. L. Mendes, F. G. C. Abath, and N. C. Leal, “Development of a multiplex single-tube nested PCR (MSTNPCR) assay for Vibrio cholerae O1 detection,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 2008.
- T. J. Barrett, P. A. Blake, G. K. Morris, N. D. Puhr, H. B. Bradford, and J. G. Wells, “Use of Moore swabs for isolating Vibrio cholerae from sewage,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 11, pp. 385–388, 1980.
- G. V. A. Pessoa and E. A. M. Da Silva, “Medium of Rugai and lysine motility combined in one single tube for the presumptive identification of enterobacteriaceae,” Revista do Instituto Adolfo Lutz, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 97–100, 1972 (Portuguese).
- NCID—National Center for Infectious Diseases and Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Laboratory methods for the diagnosis of Vibrio cholerae,” in Laboratory Identification of V. Cholerae, chapter 6, p. 136, CDC/NCID, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 1994, http://www.cdc.gov/cholera/pdf/laboratory-methods-for-the-diagnosis-of-vibrio-cholerae-chapter-6.pdf.
- P. Keim, L. B. Price, A. M. Klevytska et al., “Multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis reveals genetic relationships within Bacillus anthracis,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 182, pp. 2928–2936, 2000.
- S. P. Keasler and R. H. Hall, “Detecting and biotyping Vibrio cholerae O1 with multiplex polymerase chain reaction,” The Lancet, vol. 341, no. 8861, p. 1661, 1993.
- N. C. Leal, M. Sobreira, T. C. Leal-Balbino et al., “Evaluation of a RAPD-based typing scheme in a molecular epidemiology study of Vibrio cholerae O1, Brazil,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 96, pp. 447–454, 2004.
- S. Chakraborty, A. K. Mukhopadhyay, R. K. Bhadra et al., “Virulence genes in environmental strains of Vibrio cholerae,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, pp. 4022–4028, 2000.
- M. S. Islam, S. Ahsan, S. I. Khan et al., “Virulence properties of rough and smooth strains of Vibrio cholerae O1,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 229–235, 2004.
- J. Chun, A. Huq, and R. R. Colwell, “Analysis of 16S-23S rRNA intergenic spacer regions of Vibrio cholerae and Vibrio mimicus,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, pp. 2202–2208, 1999.
- K. L. F. Cooper, C. K. Y. Luey, M. Bird et al., “Development and validation of a PulseNet standardized pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocol for subtyping of Vibrio cholerae,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2006.
- F. J. Rohlf, NTSYSpc: Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System, version 2.11, Exeter Software, Setauket, NY, USA, 2000.
- L. R. Dice, “Measures of the amount of ecological association between species,” Ecology, vol. 26, pp. 379–393, 1945.
- F. C. Tenover, R. D. Arbeit, R. V. Goering et al., “Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, pp. 2233–2239, 1995.
- Brasil—Ministério da Saúde and Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde, Manual Integrado Da Vigilância Epidemiológica Da Cólera, 2008, http://portal.saude.gov.br/portal/arquivos/pdf/manual_integrado_vig_colera.pdf.
- J. Reidl and K. E. Klose, “Vibrio cholerae and cholera: out of the water and into the host,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 125–139, 2002.
- K. L. Meibom, M. Blokesch, N. A. Dolganov, C. Y. Wu, and G. K. Schoolnik, “Microbiology: chitin induces natural competence in Vibrio cholerae,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5755, pp. 1824–1827, 2005.