- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 849716, 6 pages
Levels of Organochlorine Pesticides and Heavy Metals in Surface Waters of Konya Closed Basin, Turkey
Department of Environmental Engineering, Necmettin Erbakan University, 42060 Konya, Turkey
Received 28 December 2012; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editors: S. Bhattacharya, N. Fontanals, and J.-F. Liu
Copyright © 2013 Mehmet Emin Aydin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Cicchella, B. de Vivo, A. Lima, S. Albanese, R. A. R. McGill, and R. R. Parrish, “Heavy metal pollution and Pb isotopes in urban soils of Napoli, Italy,” Geochemistry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 103–112, 2008.
- S. Wu, S. Zhou, and X. Li, “Determining the anthropogenic contribution of heavy metal accumulations around a typical industrial town: Xushe, China,” Journal of Geochemical Exploration, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 92–97, 2011.
- G. Zarazua, P. Ávila-Pérez, S. Tejeda, I. Barcelo-Quintal, and T. Martínez, “Analysis of total and dissolved heavy metals in surface water of a Mexican polluted river by total reflection X-ray fluorescence spectrometry,” Spectrochimica Acta B, vol. 61, no. 10-11, pp. 1180–1184, 2006.
- W. Luo, Y. Lu, T. Wang et al., “Ecological risk assessment of arsenic and metals in sediments of coastal areas of northern Bohai and Yellow Seas, China,” AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment, vol. 39, pp. 367–375, 2010.
- P. Guo, Y. Gong, C. Wang, X. Liu, and J. Liu, “Arsenic speciation and effect of arsenate inhibition in a Microcystis aeruginosa culture medium under different phosphate regimes,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1754–1759, 2011.
- B. Debelius, J. M. Forja, and L. M. Lubián, “Toxicity of copper, nickel and zinc to Synechococcus populations from the Strait of Gibraltar,” Journal of Marine Systems, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2011.
- H. Iwata, S. Tanabe, N. Sakai, A. Nishimura, and R. Tatsukawa, “Geographical distribution of persistent organochlorines in air, water and sediments from Asia and Oceania, and their implications for global redistribution from lower latitudes,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 15–33, 1994.
- K. L. Foster, M. L. Mallory, L. Hill, and J. M. Blais, “PCB and organochlorine pesticides in northern fulmars (fulmarusglacialis) from a high arctic colony: chemical exposure, fate, and transfer to predators,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 30, pp. 2055–2064, 2011.
- W. Chen, M. Jing, J. Bu et al., “Organochlorine pesticides in the surface water and sediments from the Peacock River Drainage Basin in Xinjiang, China: a study of an arid zone in Central Asia,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 177, no. 1–4, pp. 1–21, 2011.
- H. S. Wang, Y. G. Zhao, Y. B. Man, C. K. C. Wong, and M. H. Wong, “Oral bioaccessibility and human risk assessment of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) via fish consumption, using an in vitro gastrointestinal model,” Food Chemistry, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 1673–1679, 2011.
- S. Ş. Köprücü, K. Köprücü, M. Ş. Ural, U. Ispir, and M. Pala, “Acute toxicity of organophosphorous pesticide diazinon and its effects on behavior and some hematological parameters of fingerling European catfish (Silurus glanis L.),” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2006.
- WWF-Turkey, Project Final Report of Turkey's Last, World Wildlife Fund, 2010.
- APHA, AWWA, and WEF, Standard Methods For the Examination of Water and waste Water, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 20th edition, 1998.
- US EPA, “Method 3510C, Separatory Funnel Liquid-Liquid Extraction,” SW846 CH 4.2.1, 1996.
- A. Tor and M. E. Aydin, “Application of liquid-phase microextraction to the analysis of trihalomethanes in water,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 575, no. 1, pp. 138–143, 2006.
- S. Ozcan, “Viable and rapid determination of organochlorine pesticides in water,” Clean—Soil, Air, Water, vol. 38, no. 5-6, pp. 457–465, 2010.
- W. Qu, R. P. S. Suri, X. Bi, G. Sheng, and J. Fu, “Exposure of young mothers and newborns to organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in Guangzhou, China,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 16, pp. 3133–3138, 2010.
- C. Turgut, “The contamination with organochlorine pesticides and heavy metals in surface water in Küçük Menderes River in Turkey, 2000–2002,” Environment International, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 2003.
- C. Turgut and A. Fomin, “Residues of selected pesticides in the Küçük Menderes river in Turkey,” Zeitschrift für PflKrankh und Pflschutz, vol. 18, pp. 1053–1057, 2002.
- Z. Ayas, N. Barlas, and D. Kolankaya, “Determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in various environments and organisms in Goksu Delta, Turkey,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 171–181, 1997.
- N. E. Barlas, “Determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in aquatic systems and organisms in upper Sakarya Basin, Türkiye,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 62, pp. 278–285.
- I. Osuna-Flores and M. C. Riva, “Organochlorine pesticide residue concentrations in shrimps, sediments, and surface water from bay of Ohuira, Topolobampo, Sinaloa, Mexico,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 532–539, 2002.
- J. R. Kuckllck, T. F. Bldleman, L. L. McConnell, M. D. Walla, and G. P. Ivanov, “Organochlorines in the water and biota of Lake Baikal, Siberia,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 1994.
- L. J. Blus, C. J. Henny, T. E. Kaiser, and R. A. Grove, “Effects of wildlife from use of endrin in Washington state orchards,” Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference, vol. 48, pp. 159–174, 1983.
- S. Salati and F. Moore, “Assessment of heavy metal concentration in the Khoshk River water and sediment, Shiraz, Southwest Iran,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 164, no. 1–4, pp. 677–689, 2010.
- R. L. Gutiérrez, H. Rubio-Arias, R. Quintana, J. A. Ortega, and M. Gutierrez, “Heavy metals in water of the San Pedro River in Chihuahua, Mexico and its potential health risk,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 91–98, 2008.
- M. S. Dundar and H. Altundag, “Investigation of heavy metal contaminations in the lower Sakarya river water and sediments,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 128, no. 1–3, pp. 177–181, 2007.
- A. P. Karageorgis, N. P. Nikolaidis, H. Karamanos, and N. Skoulikidis, “Water and sediment quality assessment of the Axios River and its coastal environment,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 23, no. 17–19, pp. 1929–1944, 2003.
- E. Adamiec and E. Helios-Rybicka, “Distribution of pollutants in the odra river system part IV. Heavy metal distribution in water of the upper and middle Odra river, 1998–2000,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 669–673, 2002.
- Z. Levkov and S. Krstic, “Use of algae for monitoring of heavy metals in the River Vardar, Macedonia,” Mediterranean Marine Science, vol. 3, pp. 99–112, 2002.
- EC, “The quality of water intended to human consumption. Directive 1998/83/EC,” Official Journal L330/05.12.1998, European Community, 1998.
- USEPA, National Recommended Water Quality Criteria, United States Environmental Protection Agency. Office of Water, Office of Science and Technology, 2006.
- WHO, Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 3rd edition, 2004.
- TRWHC, Regulations of Waters for Human Consumption, 25730, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Turkish Official Gazette, 2005.
- USEPA, “National primary drinking water regulations,” EPA 816-F-09-004, United States Environmental Protection Agency, 2009.
- IARC, Arsenic and Arseniccompounds (Group 1), IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, 1987.
- P. Ravenscroft, J. M. McArthur, and B. A. Hoque, “Geochemical and palaeohydrological controls on pollution of groundwater by arsenic,” in Arsenic Exposure and Health Effects IV, W. R. Chappell, C. O. Abernathy, and R. L. Calderon, Eds., pp. 53–77, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2001.