- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 872026, 8 pages
Influence of Root Exudates on the Bacterial Degradation of Chlorobenzoic Acids
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology Prague, Technicka 3, 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Received 6 August 2013; Accepted 3 September 2013
Academic Editors: T. Cajthaml and F. Fatone
Copyright © 2013 Blanka Vrchotová et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Matějů, Kompendium Sanačních Technologií, Vodní zdroje Ekomonitor spol s. r. o., Chrudim, Czech Republic, 2006.
- S. A. Adebusoye, F. W. Picardal, M. O. Ilori, and O. O. Amund, “Influence of chlorobenzoic acids on the growth and degradation potentials of PCB-degrading microorganisms,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1203–1208, 2008.
- J. D. Scholten, K.-H. Chang, P. C. Babbitt, H. Charest, M. Sylvestre, and D. Dunaway-Mariano, “Novel enzymic hydrolytic dehalogenation of a chlorinated aromatic,” Science, vol. 253, no. 5016, pp. 182–185, 1991.
- W. J. Hickey and D. D. Focht, “Degradation of mono-, di-, and trihalogenated benzoid acids by Pseudomonas aeruginosa JB2,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 3842–3850, 1990.
- D. K. Chatterjee, S. T. Kellogg, S. Hamada, and A. M. Chakrabarty, “Plasmid specifying total degradation of 3-chlorobenzoate by a modified ortho pathway,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 639–646, 1981.
- M. A. Providenti and R. C. Wyndham, “Identification and functional characterization of CbaR, a MarR-like modulator of the cbaABC-encoded chlorobenzoate catabolism pathway,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 3530–3541, 2001.
- J. Krooneman, A. O. Slickers, T. M. Pedro Gomes, L. J. Forney, and J. C. Gottschal, “Characterization of 3-chlorobenzoate degrading aerobic bacteria isolated under various environmental conditions,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2000.
- D. H. Pieper, “Aerobic degradation of polychlorinated biphenyls,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 170–191, 2005.
- W. Reineke and H. J. Knackmuss, “Chemical structure and biodegradability of halogenate aromatic compounds. Substituent effects on 1,2-dioxygenation of benzoic acid,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 542, no. 3, pp. 412–423, 1978.
- K. Demnerova, H. Stiborova, M. B. Leigh et al., “Bacteria degrading PCBs and CBs isolated from long-term PCB contaminated soil,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 47–55, 2003.
- L. Pavlů, J. Vosáhlová, H. Klierová, M. Prouza, K. Demnerová, and V. Brenner, “Characterization of chlorobenzoate degraders isolated from polychlorinated biphenyl-contaminated soil and sediment in the Czech Republic,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 381–386, 1999.
- B. S. Hernandez, F. K. Higson, R. Kondrat, and D. D. Focht, “Metabolism of and inhibition by chlorobenzoates in Pseudomonas putida P111,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 3361–3366, 1991.
- S. D. Siciliano and J. J. Germida, “Degradation of chlorinated benzoic acid mixtures by plant-bacteria associations,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 728–733, 1998.
- W. J. J. van den Tweel, J. B. Kok, and J. A. M. de Bont, “Reductive dechlorination of 2,4-dichlorobenzoate to 4-chlorobenzoate and hydrolytic dehalogenation of 4-chloro-4-bromo-, and 4-iodobenzoate by Alcaligenes denitrificans NTB-1,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 810–815, 1987.
- S. A. Adebusoye and M. Miletto, “Characterization of multiple chlorobenzoic acid-degrading organisms from pristine and contaminated systems: mineralization of 2,4-dichlorobenzoic acid,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 3041–3048, 2011.
- G. Baggi, S. Bernasconi, M. Zangrossi, L. Cavalca, and V. Andreoni, “Co-metabolism of di- and trichlorobenzoates in a 2-chlorobenzoate-degrading bacterial culture: effect of the position and number of halo-substituents,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2008.
- M. Muzikář, Z. Křesinová, K. Svobodová, et al., “Biodegradation of chlorobenzoic acids by ligninolytic fungi,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 196, pp. 386–394, 2011.
- G. Baggi and M. Zangrossi, “Degradation of chlorobenzoates in soil suspensions by indigenous populations and a specialized organism: interactions between growth and non-growth substrates,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 311–318, 1999.
- S. D. Siciliano and J. J. Germida, “Enhanced phytoremediation of chlorobenzoates in rhizosphere soil,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 299–305, 1999.
- S. D. Siciliano and J. J. Germida, “Bacterial inoculants of forage grasses that enhance degradation of 2-chlorobenzoic acid in soil,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1098–1104, 1997.
- M. Macková, B. Vrchotová, K. Francová et al., “Biotransformation of PCBs by plants and bacteria—consequences of plant-microbe interactions,” European Journal of Soil Biology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 233–241, 2007.
- K. Deavers, T. Macek, U. G. Karlson, and S. Trapp, “Removal of 4-chlorobenzoic acid from spiked hydroponic solution by willow trees (Salix viminalis),” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1355–1361, 2010.
- T. Macek, M. Macková, and J. Káš, “Exploitation of plants for the removal of organics in environmental remediation,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2000.
- M. Mackova, T. Macek, and D. N. Dowling, Eds., Phytoremediation and Rhizoremediation, Theoretical Background, Focus on Biotechnology, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2006.
- B. S. Hernandez, S.-C. Koh, M. Chial, and D. D. Focht, “Terpene-utilizing isolates and their relevance to enhanced biotransformation of polychlorinated biphenyls in soil,” Biodegradation, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 153–158, 1997.
- A. N. Seal, J. E. Pratley, T. Haig, and M. An, “Identification and quantitation of compounds in a series of allelopathic and non-allelopathic rice root exudates,” Journal of Chemical Ecology, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1647–1662, 2004.