- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 282507, 7 pages
Cytomegalovirus Reactivation in Ulcerative Colitis Patients
1Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
2Department of Gastroenterology, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijianzuang, Hebei 05000, China
3Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Davis Building, Room 4066, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Received 14 August 2010; Accepted 15 November 2010
Academic Editor: T. Arakawa
Copyright © 2011 Minh Nguyen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. H. Taylor, “Cytomegalovirus,” American Family Physician, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 519–526, 2003.
- D. G. Begos, R. Rappaport, and D. Jain, “Cytomegalovirus infection masquerading as an ulcerative colitis flare- up: case report and review of the literature,” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 323–328, 1997.
- E. Dimitroulia, N. Spanakis, A. E. Konstantinidou, N. J. Legakis, and A. Tsakris, “Frequent detection of cytomegalovirus in the intestine of patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 879–884, 2006.
- P. J. Hamlin, M. N. Shah, N. Scott, J. I. Wyatt, and P. D. Howdle, “Systemic cytomegalovirus infection complicating ulcerative colitis: a case report and review of the literature,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 80, no. 942, pp. 233–235, 2004.
- W. J. Britt and C. A. Alford, “Cytomegalovirus,” Virology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 2493–2523, 1996.
- C. Soderberg-Naucler, “Human cytomegalovirus persists in its host and attacks and avoids elimination by the immune system,” Critical Reviews in Immunology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 231–263, 2006.
- C. Soderberg-Naucler, K. N. Fish, and J. A. Nelson, “Reactivation of latent human cytomegalovirus by allogeneic stimulation of blood cells from healthy donors,” Cell, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 1997.
- C. Soderberg-Naucler, K. N. Fish, and J. A. Nelson, “Interferon-γ and tumor necrosis factor-α specifically induce formation of cytomegalovirus-permissive monocyte-derived macrophages that are refractory to the antiviral activity of these cytokines,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 3154–3163, 1997.
- E. Domenech, R. Vega, I. Ojanguren, et al., “Cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis: a prospective, comparative study on prevalence and diagnostic strategy,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1373–1379, 2008.
- N. Kambham, R. Vij, C. A. Cartwright, and T. Longacre, “Cytomegalovirus infection in steroidrefractory ulcerative colitis: a case-control study,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 365–373, 2004.
- R. Osaki, A. Andoh, T. Tsujikawa et al., “Acute cytomegalovirus infection superimposed on corticosteroid-naive ulcerative colitis,” Internal Medicine, vol. 47, no. 14, pp. 1341–1344, 2008.
- P. Pfau, M. L. Kochman, E. E. Furth, and G. R. Lichtenstein, “Cytomegalovirus colitis complicating ulcerative colitis in the steroid-naive patient,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 895–899, 2001.
- C. Rachima, E. Maoz, S. Apter, et al., “Cytomegalovirus infection associated with ulcerative colitis in immunocompetent individuals,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 74, no. 874, pp. 486–489, 1998.
- K. L. Streetz, T. Buhr, H. Wedemeyer et al., “Acute CMV-colitis in a patient with a history of ulcerative colitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 119–122, 2003.
- Y. Takahashi and T. Tange, “Prevalence of cytomegalovirus infection in inflammatory bowel disease patients,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 722–726, 2004.
- K. A. Papadakis, J. K. Tung, S. W. Binder et al., “Outcome of cytomegalovirus infections in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 2137–2142, 2001.
- R. Vega, X. Bertran, M. Menacho et al., “Cytomegalovirus infection in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1053–1056, 1999.
- V. C. Mariguela, S. G. F. Chacha, A. D. A. Cunha, L. E. D. A. Troncon, S. Zucoloto, and L. T. M. Figueiredo, “Cytomegalovirus in colorectal cancer and idiopathic ulcerative colitis,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 83–87, 2008.
- A. Kuwabara, H. Okamoto, T. Suda, Y. Ajioka, and K. Hatakeyama, “Clinicopathologic characteristics of clinically relevant cytomegalovirus infection in inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 823–829, 2007.
- M. Minami, M. Ohta, T. Ohkura et al., “Cytomegalovirus infection in severe ulcerative colitis patients undergoing continuous intravenous cyclosporine treatment in Japan,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 754–760, 2007.
- G. Maconi, E. Colombo, P. Zerbi et al., “Prevalence, detection rate and outcome of cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis patients requiring colonic resection,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 418–423, 2005.
- M. Cottone, G. Pietrosi, G. Martorana et al., “Prevalence of cytomegalovirus infection in severe refractory ulcerative and Crohn's colitis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 773–775, 2001.
- V. D'Ovidio, P. Vernia, G. Gentile et al., “Cytomegalovirus infection in inflammatory bowel disease patients undergoing anti-TNFα therapy,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 180–183, 2008.
- L. C. Hookey, W. Depew, A. Boag, and S. J. Vanner, “6-Mercaptopurine and inflammatory bowel disease: hidden ground for the cytomegalovirus,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 319–322, 2003.
- J. Kishore, U. Ghoshal, U. C. Ghoshal et al., “Infection with cytomegalovirus in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: prevalence, clinical significance and outcome,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1155–1160, 2004.
- T. Kojima, T. Watanabe, K. Hata, M. Shinozaki, T. Yokoyama, and H. Nagawa, “Cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 706–711, 2006.
- M. G. Revello and G. Gerna, “Diagnosis and management of human cytomegalovirus infection in the mother, fetus, and newborn infant,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 680–715, 2002.
- B. Weber, A. Berger, and H. Rabenau, “Human cytomegalovirus infection: diagnostic potential of recombinant antigens for cytomegalovirus antibody detection,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 157–170, 2001.
- A. T. Rowshani, F. J. Bemelman, E. M. M. van Leeuwen, R. A. W. Van Lier, and I. J. M. Ten Berge, “Clinical and immunologic aspects of cytomegalovirus infection in solid organ transplant recipients,” Transplantation, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 381–386, 2005.
- G. Boivin, J. Handfield, E. Toma et al., “Evaluation of the AMPLICOR cytomegalovirus test with specimens from human immunodeficiency virus-infected subjects,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2509–2513, 1998.
- T. Lazzarotto, G. T. Maine, P. Dal Monte, H. Frush, K. Shi, and M. P. Landini, “Detection of serum immunoglobulin M to human cytomegalovirus by Western blotting correlates better with virological data than detection by conventional enzyme immunoassay,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 597–600, 1996.
- J. D. Meyers, P. Ljungman, and L. D. Fisher, “Cytomegalovirus excretion as a predictor of cytomegalovirus disease after marrow transplantation: importance of cytomegalovirus viremia,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 373–380, 1990.
- A. Michaelides, L. Liolios, E. M. Glare et al., “Increased human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) DNA load in peripheral blood leukocytes after lung transplantation correlates with HCMV pneumonitis,” Transplantation, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 141–147, 2001.
- W. D. Rawlinson, “Broadsheet. Number 50: diagnosis of human cytomegalovirus infection and disease,” Pathology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 109–115, 1999.
- L. Beaugerie, C. Cywiner-Golenzer, L. Monfort et al., “Definition and diagnosis of cytomegalovirus colitis in patients infected by human immunodeficiency virus,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 423–429, 1997.
- A. Kandiel and B. Lashner, “Cytomegalovirus colitis complicating inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 2857–2865, 2006.
- M. M. Maher and M. I. Nassar, “Acute cytomegalovirus infection is a risk factor in refractory and complicated inflammatory bowel disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2456–2462, 2009.
- V. Criscuoli, M. R. Rizzuto, and M. Cottone, “Cytomegalovirus and inflammatory bowel disease: is there a link?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 30, pp. 4813–4818, 2006.
- K. Matsuoka, Y. Iwao, T. Mori et al., “Cytomegalovirus is frequently reactivated and disappears without antiviral agents in ulcerative colitis patients,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 331–337, 2007.
- I. A. Eyre-Brook and S. Dundas, “Incidence and clinical significance of colonic cytomegalovirus infection in idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease requiring colectomy,” Gut, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1419–1425, 1986.
- M. Nguyen, K. Bradford, and X. Zhang, “Severity of cytomegalovirus infection on pathology specimens is associated with colectomy rates and response to antiviral therapy in inflammatory bowel disease patients,” Digestive Disease Week, vol. 2010, no. 445, 2010.