- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 95402, 12 pages
Variation-Tolerant and Low-Power Source-Synchronous Multicycle On-Chip Interconnect Scheme
1VLSI Design Group, NVIDIA Corporation, Santa Clara 95050, CA, USA
2Electrical Enginering and Computer Science Department (EECS), Northwestern University, Evanston, 60208-3118, IL, USA
3Circuit Research Laboratories, Intel Corporation, Hillsboro 97124, OR, USA
Received 6 November 2006; Revised 27 February 2007; Accepted 16 March 2007
Academic Editor: Davide Bertozzi
Copyright © 2007 Maged Ghoneima et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Meindl, J. A. Davis, P. Zarkesh-Ha, C. S. Patel, K. P. Martin, and P. A. Kohl, “Interconnect opportunities for gigascale integration,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 46, no. 2-3, pp. 245–263, 2002.
- K. Rahmat, S. Nakagawa, S-Y. Oh, and J. Moll, “A scaling scheme for interconnects in deep-submicron processes,” Tech. Rep. HPL-95-77, Hewlett Packard, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 1995.
- L. P. Carloni, K. L. McMillan, and A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Theory of latency-insensitive design,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1059–1076, 2001.
- L. Scheffer, “Methodologies and tools for pipelined on-chip interconnect,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Design: VLSI in Computers and Processors (ICCD '02), pp. 152–157, Freiburg, Germany, September 2002.
- R. Lu, G. Zhong, C.-K. Koh, and K.-Y. Chao, “Flip-flop and repeater insertion for early interconnect planning,” in Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE '02), pp. 690–695, Paris, France, March 2002.
- P. Cocchini, “Concurrent flip-flop and repeater insertion for high performance integrated circuits,” in Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD '02), pp. 268–273, San Jose, Calif, USA, November 2002.
- “IEEE 1149.1-2001: Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture,” Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- M. Khellah, M. Ghoneima, and J. Tschanz, et al., “A skewed repeater bus architecture for on-chip energy reduction in microprocessors,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Design: VLSI in Computers and Processors (ICCD '05), pp. 253–257, San Jose, Calif, USA, October 2005.
- S. Borkar, P. Dubey, and K. Kahn, et al., “Platform 2015: Intel Processor and Platform Evolution for the next Decade,” 2005, White Paper, Intel Corporation.
- A. Edman and C. Svensson, “Timing closure through a globally synchronous, timing partitioned design methodology,” in Proceedings of the 41st Design Automation Conference (DAC '04), pp. 71–74, San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2004.
- B. Black, D. W. Nelson, C. Webb, and N. Samra, “3D processing technology and its impact on IA32 microprocessors,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Design: VLSI in Computers and Processors (ICCD '04), pp. 316–318, San Jose, Calif, USA, October 2004.
- S. Das, A. Chandrakasan, and R. Reif, “Three-dimensional integrated circuits: performance, design methodology, and CAD tools,” in Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (VLSI '03), pp. 13–18, Tampa, Fla, USA, February 2003.
- W. J. Dally and J. W. Poulton, Digital Systems Engineering, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1998.
- J. A. McNeill, “Jitter in ring oscillators,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 870–879, 1997.
- M. Mansuri and C.-K. K. Yang, “Jitter optimization based on phase-locked loop design parameters,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1375–1382, 2002.
- H. B. Bakoglu and J. D. Meindl, “Optimal interconnection circuits for VLSI,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 903–909, 1985.
- T. Sakurai, “Closed-form expressions for interconnection delay, coupling, and crosstalk in VLSI's,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 118–124, 1993.
- M. Ghoneima and Y. Ismail, “Optimum positioning of interleaved repeaters in bidirectional buses,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 461–469, 2005.
- A. B. Kang, S. Muddu, E. Sarto, and R. Sharma, “Interconnect tuning strategies for high-performance ICs,” in Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe (DATE '98), pp. 471–478, Paris, France, February 1998.
- K. Nose and T. Sakurai, “Two schemes to reduce interconnect delay in bi-directional and uni-directional buses,” in Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on VLSI Circuits (VLSIC '01), pp. 193–194, Kyoto, Japan, June 2001.
- K. Hirose and H. Yasuura, “A bus delay reduction technique considering crosstalk,” in Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE '00), pp. 441–445, Paris, France, March 2000.
- M. Pedram, Q. Wu, and X. Wu, “A new design of double edge triggered flip-flops,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Conference of the Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC '98), pp. 417–421, Yokohama, Japan, February 1998.
- R. Bashirullah, W. Liu, R. Cavin, and D. Edwards, “A hybrid current/voltage mode on-chip signaling scheme with adaptive bandwidth capability,” IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 876–880, 2004.
- Predictive Technology model, http://www.eas.asu.edu/~ptm/.