- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 892370, 12 pages
A Time-Consistent Video Segmentation Algorithm Designed for Real-Time Implementation
1NXP Semiconductors, 2 Rue de la Girafe, B.P. 5120, 14079 Caen, Cedex 5, France
2Laboratoire GREYC, 6 Boulevard du Maréchal Juin, 14050 Caen, France
3NXP Semiconductors, High Tech Campus 60, 5656 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Received 30 April 2007; Revised 13 November 2007; Accepted 17 January 2008
Academic Editor: Jean-Baptiste Begueret
Copyright © 2008 M. El Hassani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Iannizzotto and L. Vita, “Fast and accurate edge-based segmentation with no contour smoothing in 2-D real images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1232–1237, 2000.
- Y. Haxhimusa, A. Ion, W. G. Kropatsch, and T. Illetschko, “Evaluating minimum spanning tree based segmentation algorithms,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns (CAIP '05), A. Gagalowicz and W. Philips, Eds., vol. 3691 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 579–586, Versailles, France, September 2005.
- L. Brun, M. Mokhtari, and F. Meyer, “Hierarchical watersheds within the combinatorial pyramid framework,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Discrete Geometry for Computer Imagery (DGCI '05), vol. 3429 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 34–44, Poitiers, France, April 2005.
- R. Nock and F. Nielsen, “Statistical region merging,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1452–1458, 2004.
- S. Lallich, F. Muhlenbach, and J.-M. Jolion, “A test to control a region growing process within a hierarchical graph,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2201–2211, 2003.
- S. Pateux, “Spatial segmentation of color images according to the MDL formalism,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Color in Graphics and Image Processing (CGIP '00), vol. 2, pp. 89–93, Saint Étienne, France, October 2000.
- J. Shi and J. Malik, “Normalized cuts and image segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 888–905, 2000.
- E. Sharon, A. Brandt, and R. Basri, “Fast multiscale image segmentation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '00), vol. 1, pp. 70–77, Hilton Head Island, SC, USA, June 2000.
- L. Vincent and P. Soille, “Watersheds in digital spaces: an efficient algorithm based on immersion simulations,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 583–598, 1991.
- M. Couprie, L. Najman, and G. Bertrand, “Quasi-linear algorithms for the topological watershed,” Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, vol. 22, no. 2-3, pp. 231–249, 2005.
- P. Salembier and L. Garrido, “Binary partition tree as an efficient representation for image processing, segmentation, and information retrieval,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 561–576, 2000.
- P. F. Felzenszwalb and D. P. Huttenlocher, “Efficient graph-based image segmentation,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 167–181, 2004.
- Y. Deng and B. Manjunath, “Unsupervised segmentation of colour-texture regions in images and video,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 800–810, 2001.
- C. Fiorio and R. Nock, “Sorted region merging to maximize test reliability,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '00), vol. 1, pp. 808–811, Vancouver, BC, Canada, September 2000.
- H.-Y. Wang and K.-K. Ma, “Automatic video object segmentation via 3D structure tensor,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '03), vol. 1, pp. 153–156, Barcelona, Spain, September 2003.
- D. DeMenthon, “Spatio-temporal segmentation of video by hierarchical mean shift analysis,” in Proceedings of the Statistical Methods in Video Processing Workshop, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 2002.
- L.-Y. Duan, M. Xu, Q. Tian, and C.-S. Xu, “Mean shift based video segment representation and applications to replay detection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '04), vol. 5, pp. 709–712, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 2004.
- F. Moscheni, S. Bhattacharjee, and M. Kunt, “Spatio-temporal segmentation based on region merging,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 897–915, 1998.
- D. Wang, “Unsupervised video segmentation based on watersheds and temporal tracking,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 539–546, 1998.
- I. Patras, E. A. Hendriks, and R. L. Lagendijk, “Video segmentation by MAP labeling of watershed segments,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 326–332, 2001.
- C. McDiarmid, “Concentration,” in Probabilistic Methods for Algorithmic Discrete Mathematics, pp. 195–248, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- A. M. Tekalp, “Video segmentation,” in Handbook of Image and Video Processing, Elsiever, Oxford, UK, 2005.
- A. A. Alatan, L. Onural, M. Wollborn, R. Mech, E. Tuncel, and T. Sikora, “Image sequence analysis for emerging interactive multimedia services-the European COST 211 framework,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 802–813, 1998.
- A. Caplier, L. Bonnaud, and J. Chassery, “Robust fast extraction of video objects combining frame differences and adaptative reference image,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 2, pp. 785–788, Thessaloniki, Greece, October 2001.
- C. Fiorio and J. Gustedt, “Two linear time Union-Find strategies for image processing,” Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 165–181, 1996.
- G. J. Klinker, S. A. Shafer, and T. Kanade, “A physical approach to color image understanding,” in Color, G. E. Healey, S. A. Shafer, and L. B. Wolff, Eds., pp. 134–165, Jones And Bartlett, Sudbury, Mass, USA, 1992.
- L. Wolf, X. Huang, I. Martin, and D. Metaxas, “Patch-based texture edges and segmentation,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV '06), vol. 3952 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 481–493, Graz, Austria, May 2006.
- L. Brun and M. Mokhtari, “Two high speed color quantization algorithms,” in Proceedings of Computer Graphics, and Image Processing (CGIP '00), pp. 116–121, Cépaduès, Saint Étienne, France, October 2000.
- A. Desolneux, L. Moisan, and J. Morel, “Meaningful alignments,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 7–23, 2000.
- A. Mitiche and P. Bouthemy, “Computation and analysis of image motion: a synopsis of current problems and methods,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 29–55, 1996.
- K. Wu, E. Otoo, and A. Shoshani, “Optimizing connected component labeling algorithms,” in Medical Imaging 2005: Image Processing, vol. 5747 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1965–1976, San Diego, Calif, USA, April 2005.
- “pnx1500 databook,” http://www.tcshelp.com/public_files.html.
- M. El Hassani, M. Duranton, and S. Jehan-Besson, “Dynamic peaking,” 2007, submitted patent NXP.