- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 343787, 12 pages
Lossless and Low-Power Image Compressor for Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, 57 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5A9
Received 10 February 2011; Accepted 12 April 2011
Academic Editor: Rached Tourki
Copyright © 2011 Tareq Hasan Khan and Khan A. Wahid. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Moglia, A. Menciassi, and P. Dario, “Recent patents on wireless capsule endoscopy,” Recent Patents on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 24–33, 2008.
- D. O. Faigel and D. R. Cave, Capsule Endoscopy, Saunders Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2008.
- P. Swain, “The future of wireless capsule endoscopy,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 4142–4145, 2008.
- C. McCaffrey, O. Chevalerias, C. O'Mathuna, and K. Twomey, “Swallowable-capsule technology,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2008.
- D. Salomon, Data Compression: The Complete Reference, Springer, 3rd edition, 2004.
- S. Golomb, “Run-length encodings,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 399–401, 1966.
- “OmniVisoin OVM7690 cameracube,” 2010, http://www.ovt.com/.
- “Aptina MT9V131 image sensor,” 2010, http://www.aptina.com/.
- K. Wahid, S. B. Ko, and D. Teng, “Efficient hardware implementation of an image compressor for wireless capsule endoscopy applications,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 2761–2765, June 2008.
- P. Turcza and M. Duplaga, “Low-power image compression for wireless capsule endoscopy,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Imaging Systems and Techniques, pp. 1–4, May 2007.
- M. Lin, L. R. Dung, and P. K. Weng, “An ultra-low-power image compressor for capsule endoscope,” BioMedical Engineering Online, vol. 5, no. 14, pp. 1–8, 2006.
- ITU-T Recommendation T.87, “Lossless and near-lossless compression of continuous-tone still images—Baseline,” 1998.
- M. J. Weinberger, G. Seroussi, and G. Sapiro, “The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: principles and standardization into JPEG-LS,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1309–1324, 2000.
- X. Chen, X. Zhang, L. Zhang et al., “A wireless capsule endoscope system with low power controlling and processing ASIC,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 11–22, 2009.
- X. Xiang, L. Guolin, C. Xinkai, L. Xiaowen, and Z. Wang, “A low-power digital IC design inside the wireless endoscopic capsule,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2390–2400, 2006.
- M. Papadonikolakis, V. Pantazis, and A. P. Kakarountas, “Efficient high-performance ASIC implementation of JPEG-LS encoder,” in Proceedings of the Design, Automation & Test in Europe Conference & Exhibition, pp. 1–6, April 2007.
- N. Bourbakis, G. Giakos, and A. Karargyris, “Design of new-generation robotic capsules for therapeutic and diagnostic endoscopy,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- M. Quirini, A. Menciassi, C. Stefanini, S. Gorini, G. Pernorio, and P. Dario, “Development of a legged capsule for the gastrointestinal tract: an experimental set-up,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 161–167, July 2005.
- S. Hosseini and M. B. Khamesee, “Design and control of a magnetically driven capsule-robot for endoscopy and drug delivery,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Toronto International Conference Science and Technology for Humanity, pp. 697–702, September 2009.
- O. Alonso, L. Freixas, and A. Dieguez, “Advancing towards smart endoscopy with specific electronics to enable locomotion and focusing capabilities in a wireless endoscopic capsule robot,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference, pp. 213–216, November 2009.
- “Gastrolab,” 2010, http://www.gastrolab.net/.
- Zarlink Semiconductor, “ZL70101 MICS transceiver,” 2010, http://www.zarlink.com/.
- Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 600–612, 2004.
- Z. Wang and A. C. Bovik, “Mean squared error: love it or leave it?” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 98–117, 2009.
- C. Cheng, Z. Liu, C. Hu, and M. Meng, “A novel wireless capsule endoscope with JPEG compression engine,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics, pp. 553–558, August 2010.
- C. Hu, M. Meng, L. Liu, Y. Pan, and Z. Liu, “Image representation and compression for capsule endoscope robot,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation, pp. 506–511, June 2009.
- J. Wu and Y. E. Li, “Low-complexity video compression for capsule endoscope based on compressed sensing theory,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 3727–3730, USA, September 2009.
- L. R. Dung, Y. Y. Wu, H. C. Lai, and P. K. Weng, “A modified H.264 Intra-frame video encoder for capsule endoscope,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference (BIOCAS '08), pp. 61–64, November 2008.
- “JPEG-LS public domain code,” 2010, http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~jakulin/jpeg-ls/mirror.htm.
- T. Khan and K. Wahid, “Design of a DVP compatible bridge to randomly access pixels of high speed image sensors,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp. 905–906, 2011.
- T. Silva, C. Diniz, J. Vortmann, L. Agostini, A. Susin, and S. Bampi, “A pipelined 8×8 2-D forward DCT hardware architecture for H.264/AVC high profile encoder,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Pacific Rim Conference on Advances in Image and Video Technology, pp. 5–15, Santiago, Chile, 2007.
- L. Pillai, “Video compression using DCT,” 2002, Xilinx Application Note: Virtex-II Series.