- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 748019, 20 pages
Low-Complexity Hierarchical Mode Decision Algorithms Targeting VLSI Architecture Design for the H.264/AVC Video Encoder
1Microelectronics Group (GME), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500, P.O. Box 15064, 91501-970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Group of Architectures and Integrated Circuits (GACI), Federal University of Pelotas (UFPel), Campus Universitário s/n, P.O. Box 354, 96010-900 Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Received 18 December 2011; Accepted 1 March 2012
Academic Editor: Maurizio Martina
Copyright © 2012 Guilherme Corrêa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU), ITU-T Recommendation H.264/AVC (05/03): Advanced Video Coding for Generic Audiovisual Services, International Telecommunication Union, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjøntegaard, and A. Luthra, “Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 560–576, 2003.
- G. J. Sullivan and T. Wiegand, “Rate-distortion optimization for: Video compression,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 74–90, 1998.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, “Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 688–703, 2003.
- W. Fengqin, F. Yangyu, L. Yajing, and L. Weihua, “Fast intra mode decision algorithm in H.264/AVC using characteristics of transformed coefficients,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Visual Information Engineering (VIE '08), pp. 245–249, July 2008.
- Y. I. Jeon, C. H. Han, S. W. Lee, and H. S. Kang, “Fast intra mode decision algorithm using directional gradients for H.264,” in Proceedings of the 2009 2nd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing (CISP '09), October 2009.
- H. Kim and Y. Altunbasak, “Low-complexity macroblock mode selection for H.264/AVC encoders,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '04), pp. 765–768, Atlanta, Ga, USA, October 2004.
- J. Lee and B. Jeon, “Fast mode decision for H.264,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '04), pp. 1131–1134, June 2004.
- Y. M. Lee, J. D. Wu, and Y. Lin, “An improved SATD-based intra mode decision algorithm for H.264/AVC,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '09), pp. 1029–1032, April 2009.
- S. Liquan, L. Zhi, Z. Zhaoyang, and S. Xuli, “Fast inter mode decision using spatial property of motion field,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 6, Article ID 4657454, pp. 1208–1214, 2008.
- Y. M. Lee, Y. T. Sun, and Y. Lin, “SATD-based intra mode decision for H.264/AVC video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 20, no. 3, Article ID 5308396, pp. 463–469, 2010.
- D. Wu, F. Pan, K. P. Lim et al., “Fast intermode decision in H.264/AVC video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 953–958, 2005.
- I. Richardson, H.264/AVC and MPEG-4 Video Compression-Video Coding for Next-Generation Multimedia, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 2003.
- K. Suhring, “H.264/AVC Reference Software,” In: Fraunhofer Heinrich-Hertz-Institute, http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/download/.
- J. C. Wang, J. F. Wang, J. F. Yang, and J. T. Chen, “A fast mode decision algorithm and its vlsi design for H.264/AVC intra-prediction,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1414–1422, 2007.
- Y. C. Kao, H. C. Kuo, Y. T. Lin et al., “A high-performance VLSI architecture for intra prediction and mode decision in H.264/AVC video encoding,” in Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS '06), pp. 562–565, December 2006.
- Y. K. Lin, C. W. Ku, D. W. Li, and T. S. Chang, “A 140-MHz 94 K gates HD1080p 30-frames/s intra-only profile H.264 encoder,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 19, no. 3, Article ID 4783023, pp. 432–436, 2009.
- M. Weipeng, Y. Shuyuan, G. Li, and P. Chaoke, “An efficient fast mode decision algorithm based on motion cost for h.264 inter prediction,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Intelligent Information Technology Application Workshop (IITA 2008), pp. 550–553, December 2008.
- A. C. W. Yu, G. R. Martin, and H. Park, “Fast inter-mode selection in the H.264/AVC standard using a hierarchical decision process,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 18, no. 2, Article ID 4400036, pp. 186–195, 2008.
- A. C. Yu, “Efficient block-size selection algorithm for inter-frame coding in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. III169–III172, May 2004.
- G. Corrêa, C. Diniz, S. Bampi, D. Palomino, R. Porto, and L. Agostini, “Homogeneity and distortion-based intra mode decision architecture for H.264/AVC,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS '10), pp. 591–594, December 2010.
- D. Palomino, G. Corrêa, Claudio Diniz, S. Bampi, L. Agostini, and A. Susin, “Algorithm and hardware design of a fast intra-frame mode decision module for H.264/AVC encoders,” in Proceedings of the 24th Symposium on Integrated Circuits and Systems Design (SBCCI '11), August 2011.
- Altera Corporation: FPGA, CPLD and ASIC, http://www.altera.com/.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited, http://www.tsmc.com/.
- The EDA Technology Leader-Mentor Graphics, http://www.mentor.com/.