- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 328307, 6 pages
A Basic Strategy to Manage Global Health with Reference to Livestock Production in Asia
Department of Ecosystem and Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, T2N 2Z6, Canada
Received 16 October 2010; Revised 6 June 2011; Accepted 21 August 2011
Academic Editor: Carolyn J. Henry
Copyright © 2011 David C. Hall and Quynh Ba Le. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel, Norton, London, UK, 1990.
- R. H. Beach, C. Poulos, and S. K. Pattanayak, “Prevention and control of avian influenza: a view from the farm household,” in Proceedings of the CAES-FLP-CATPRN Joint Workshop: Crises in Agriculture and Resource Sectors: Analysis of Policy Responses, Calgary, Canada, October 2006.
- R. A. Weiss and A. J. McMichael, “Social and environmental risk factors in the emergence of infectious diseases,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, pp. S70–S76, 2004.
- D. C. Hall, “Competitiveness of livestock farming in Vietnam: constraints and opportunities,” in Proceedings of the Canadian Agricultural Economics Society Symposium, Toronto, Canada, May 2009.
- I. Maltsoglou and G. Rapsomanikis, “The contribution of livestock to household income in vietnam: a household typology based analysis,” Pro-Poor Livestock Policy Initiative (PPLPI) Working Paper 21; Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2005.
- D. C. Hall, T. D. Thao, D. V. Minh, and L. V. Lien, “Competitiveness of the livestock sector in Vietnam. A world bank white paper,” in Proceedings of the WB-EASRD and FAO-TCIP, Hanoi, Vietnam, December 2006.
- D. C. Hall and M. G. S. Alam, “Unpublished data from field site visits to four districts in Bangladesh,” 2008–2010.
- H. Steinfeld, “The livestock revolution—a global veterinary mission,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 125, no. 1-2, pp. 19–41, 2004.
- T. F. Randolph, E. Schelling, D. Grace et al., “Role of livestock in human nutrition and health for poverty reduction in developing countries,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 2788–2800, 2007.
- T. Ahmed, “Malnutrition in Bangladesh: How Far Are We from Achieving MDG 1?” The International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, https://centre.icddrb.org/pub/publication.jsp?classificationID=1&pubID=7904.
- M. Marks and T. Sultana, “Economic impact of cattle transfers during the CLP's Asset Transfer Programme (2006–2008),” Chars Livelihoods Programme, U.K. Department for International Development, 2009.
- M. G. S. Alam, S. Raha, and D. C. Hall, “Project Progress Report: Improving Livelihood through Herd Health Management and Milk Market Access to Poor Farmers Living in Northern Bangladesh,” Bangladesh Agricultural University and the Krishi Gobeshona Foundation, 2010.
- The World Health Organization (WHO), “The control of neglected zoonotic diseases: a route to poverty alleviation,” in Proceedings of the WHO/DFID-AHPMeeting, WHO Zoonoses and Veterinary Public Health, Geneva, Switzerland, September 2005.
- D. C. Hall, M. M. Rahman, N. Ahamed, et al., “Livestock Policy and Action Plan,” Department of Livestock Services, Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock, Government of Bangladesh, Dhaka, 2005.
- D. U. Pfeiffer, P. Q. Minh, V. Martin, M. Epprecht, and M. J. Otte, “An analysis of the spatial and temporal patterns of highly pathogenic avian influenza occurrence in Vietnam using national surveillance data,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 302–309, 2007.
- T. Sproul, D. Zilberman, J. Ifft, D. Roland-Holst, and J. Otte, “Economics of avian flu policy,” HPAI Research Net Research Brief 18, 2009.
- J. Henning, D. U. Pfeiffer, and L. T. Vu, “Risk factors and characteristics of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) post-vaccination outbreaks,” Veterinary Research, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1–12, 2009.
- Government of Vietnam, “The Government of Vietnam—United Nations Joint Program (JP) to fight Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI),” Hanoi, 2009.
- D. C. Hall and L. B. Quynh, “Midterm evaluation of the government of Vietnam—UN Joint program on avian influenza,” Final Report, Agrifood Consulting International, Bethesda, Md, US, 2009.
- D. C. Hall, “Building capacity for research and practice in ecosystem approaches to health in Southeast Asia,” 1st Interim Technical Report, International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, 2010.