- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 172072, 8 pages
Single Intramammary Infusion of Recombinant Bovine Interleukin-8 at Dry-Off Induces the Prolonged Secretion of Leukocyte Elastase, Inflammatory Lactoferrin-Derived Peptides, and Interleukin-8 in Dairy Cows
1Dairy Hygiene Research Division, Hokkaido Research Station, National Institute of Animal Health (NIAH), National Agriculture and Food Research Organization (NARO), 4 Hitsujigaoka, Sapporo 062-0045, Japan
2Intellectual Property and Technology Management Section, NIAH, NARO, 3-1-1 Kannnondai, Tsukuba 305-0856, Japan
3Pathology and Pathophysiology Research Division, NIAH, NARO, 3-1-1 Kannnondai, Tsukuba 305-0856, Japan
4Laboratory of Biochemistry, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-0818, Japan
Received 11 April 2012; Accepted 25 June 2012
Academic Editor: Jyoji Yamate
Copyright © 2012 Atsushi Watanabe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Moser, M. Wolf, A. Walz, and P. Loetscher, “Chemokines: multiple levels of leukocyte migration control,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 2004.
- M. Baggiolini, B. Dewald, and B. Moser, “Interleukin-8 and related chemotactic cytokines—CXC and CC chemokines,” Advances in Immunology, vol. 55, pp. 97–179, 1994.
- K. Kimura, J. P. Goff, M. E. Kehrli, and T. A. Reinhardt, “Decreased neutrophil function as a cause of retained placenta in dairy cattle,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 544–550, 2002.
- J. L. Caswell, D. M. Middleton, and J. R. Gordon, “The importance of interleukin-8 as a neutrophil chemoattractant in the lungs of cattle with pneumonic pasteurellosis,” Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 229–232, 2001.
- C. Riollet, P. Rainard, and B. Poutrel, “Cells and cytokines in inflammatory secretions of bovine mammary gland,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 480, pp. 247–258, 2000.
- D. D. Bannerman, M. J. Paape, J. W. Lee, X. Zhao, J. C. Hope, and P. Rainard, “Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus elicit differential innate immune responses following intramammary infection,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 463–472, 2004.
- D. D. Bannerman, M. J. Paape, J. P. Goff, K. Kimura, J. D. Lippolis, and J. C. Hope, “Innate immune response to intramammary infection with Serratia marcescens and Streptococcus uberis,” Veterinary Research, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 681–700, 2004.
- D. D. Bannerman, A. Chockalingam, M. J. Paape, and J. C. Hope, “The bovine innate immune response during experimentally-induced Pseudomonas aeruginosa mastitis,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 107, no. 3-4, pp. 201–215, 2005.
- A. C. W. Kauf, R. F. Rosenbusch, M. J. Paape, and D. D. Bannerman, “Innate immune response to intramammary Mycoplasma bovis infection,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 3336–3348, 2007.
- P. Rainard, A. Fromageau, P. Cunha, and F. B. Gilbert, “Staphylococcus aureus lipoteichoic acid triggers inflammation in the lactating bovine mammary gland,” Veterinary Research, vol. 39, no. 5, article 52, 2008.
- H. Simojoki, T. Salomäki, S. Taponen, A. Iivanainen, and S. Pyörälä, “Innate immune response in experimentally induced bovine intramammary infection with Staphylococcus simulans and S. epidermidis,” Veterinary Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2011.
- M. Paape, J. Mehrzad, X. Zhao, J. Detilleux, and C. Burvenich, “Defense of the bovine mammary gland by polymorphonuclear neutrophil leukocytes,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 109–121, 2002.
- C. Burvenich, V. Van Merris, J. Mehrzad, A. Diez-Fraile, and L. Duchateau, “Severity of E. coli mastitis is mainly determined by cow factors,” Veterinary Research, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 521–564, 2003.
- G. B. Mitchell, B. N. Albright, and J. L. Caswell, “Effect of interleukin-8 and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor on priming and activation of bovine neutrophils,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 1643–1649, 2003.
- M. R. Barber and T. J. Yang, “Chemotactic activities in nonmastitic and mastitic mammary secretions: presence of interleukin-8 in mastitic but not nonmastitic secretions,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 82–86, 1998.
- J. L. Caswell, D. M. Middleton, and J. R. Gordon, “Production and functional characterization of recombinant bovine interleukin-8 as a specific neutrophil activator and chemoattractant,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 327–340, 1999.
- K. N. Galvão, G. M. Pighetti, S. H. Cheong, D. V. Nydam, and R. O. Gilbert, “Association between interleukin-8 receptor-α (CXCR1) polymorphism and disease incidence, production, reproduction, and survival in Holstein cows,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 2083–2091, 2011.
- M. G. H. Stevens, L. J. Peelman, B. De Spiegeleer et al., “Differential gene expression of the toll-like receptor-4 cascade and neutrophil function in early- and mid-lactating dairy cows,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 1277–1288, 2011.
- R. J. Harmon and F. H. S. Newbould, “Neutrophil leukocytes as a source of lactoferrin in bovine milk,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1603–1606, 1980.
- L. Brandolini, R. Bertini, C. Bizzarri et al., “IL-1β primes IL-8-activated human neutrophils for elastase release, phospholipase D activity, and calcium flux,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 427–434, 1996.
- B. Korkmaz, T. Moreau, and F. Gauthier, “Neutrophil elastase, proteinase 3 and cathepsin G: physicochemical properties, activity and physiopathological functions,” Biochimie, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 227–242, 2008.
- Y. Komine, T. Kuroishi, J. Kobayashi et al., “Inflammatory effect of cleaved bovine lactoferrin by elastase on staphylococcal mastitis,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 715–723, 2006.
- N. Boudjellab, H. S. Chan-Tang, X. Li, and X. Zhao, “Interleukin 8 response by bovine mammary epithelial cells to lipopolysaccharide stimulation,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1563–1567, 1998.
- M. R. Barber, A. G. Pantschenko, L. S. Hinckley, and T. J. Yang, “Inducible and constitutive in vitro neutrophil chemokine expression by mammary epithelial and myoepithelial cells,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 791–798, 1999.
- A. Watanabe, Y. Yagi, H. Shiono, Y. Yokomizo, and S. Inumaru, “Effects of intramammary infusions of interleukin-8 on milk protein composition and induction of acute-phase protein in cows during mammary involution,” Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 291–296, 2008.
- J. Hirota, S. Shimizu, A. Watanabe et al., “Establishment of a quantitative bovine CXCL8 sandwich ELISA with newly developed monoclonal antibodies,” European Cytokine Network, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2011.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- W. N. Fishbein, “Quantitative densitometry of 1-50 μg protein in acrylamide gel slabs with coomassie blue,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 388–401, 1972.
- K. L. Smith, J. H. Harrison, D. D. Hancock, D. A. Todhunter, and H. R. Conrad, “Effect of vitamin E and selenium supplementation on incidence of clinical mastitis and duration of clinical symptoms,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1293–1300, 1984.
- V. D. Bhatt, M. S. Patel, C. G. Joshi, and A. Kunjadia, “Identification and antibiogram of microbes associated with bovine mastitis,” Animal Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 163–169, 2011.
- National Mastitis Council: Subcommittee on Screening Tests, “Direct microscopic somatic cell count in milk,” Journal of Milk and Food Technology, vol. 31, pp. 350–354, 1968.
- R. H. Miller, M. J. Paape, R. R. Peters, and M. D. Young, “Total and differential somatic cell counts and N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase activity in mammary secretions during dry period,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 1751–1755, 1990.
- L. Bouchard, S. Blais, C. Desrosiers, X. Zhao, and P. Lacasse, “Nitric oxide production during endotoxin-induced mastitis in the cow,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 2574–2581, 1999.
- A. Watanabe, I. Uchida, K. Nakata, Y. Fujimoto, and S. Oikawa, “Molecular cloning of bovine (Bos taurus) cDNA encoding a 94-kDa glucose-regulated protein and developmental changes in its mRNA and protein content in the mammary gland,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 547–557, 2001.
- B. J. Nonnecke and K. L. Smith, “Biochemical and antibacterial properties of bovine mammary secretion during mammary involution and at parturition,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 2863–2872, 1984.
- W. L. Hurley, “Mammary gland function during involution,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1637–1646, 1989.
- S. Kandasamy, B. B. Green, A. L. Benjamin, and D. E. Kerr, “Between-cow variation in dermal fibroblast response to lipopolysaccharide reflected in resolution of inflammation during Escherichia coli mastitis,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 5963–5975, 2011.
- M. H. Weng, T. C. Yu, S. E. Chen et al., “Regional accretion of gelatinase B in mammary gland during gradual and acute involution of dairy animals,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 202–210, 2008.
- T.-C. Yu, C.-J. Chang, C.-H. Ho et al., “Modifications of the defense and remodeling functionalities of bovine neutrophils inside the mammary gland of milk stasis cows received a commercial dry-cow treatment,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 144, no. 3-4, pp. 210–219, 2011.
- F. L. Schanbacher, R. E. Goodman, and R. S. Talhouk, “Bovine mammary lactoferrin: implications from messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) sequence and regulation contrary to other milk proteins,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 3812–3831, 1993.
- D. Patel, R. A. Almeida, J. R. Dunlap, and S. P. Oliver, “Bovine lactoferrin serves as a molecular bridge for internalization of Streptococcus uberis into bovine mammary epithelial cells,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 137, no. 3-4, pp. 297–301, 2009.
- P. Hyvönen, S. Käyhkö, S. Taponen, A. Von Wright, and S. Pyörälä, “Effect of bovine lactoferrin on the internalization of coagulase-negative staphylococci into bovine mammary epithelial cells under in-vitro conditions,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 144–151, 2009.
- H. W. Barkema, Y. H. Schukken, and R. N. Zadoks, “Invited review: the role of cow, pathogen, and treatment regimen in the therapeutic success of bovine Staphylococcus aureus mastitis,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1877–1895, 2006.
- P. Gruet, P. Maincent, X. Berthelot, and V. Kaltsatos, “Bovine mastitis and intramammary drug delivery: review and perspectives,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 245–259, 2001.
- P. M. Sears and K. K. McCarthy, “Management and treatment of staphylococcal mastitis,” Veterinary Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 171–185, 2003.
- L. Sutra and B. Poutrel, “Virulence factors involved in the pathogenesis of bovine intramammary infections due to Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 79–89, 1994.
- S. Taponen and S. Pyörälä, “Coagulase-negative staphylococci as cause of bovine mastitis-Not so different from Staphylococcus aureus?” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 134, no. 1-2, pp. 29–36, 2009.
- A. M. Alluwaimi, “The cytokines of bovine mammary gland: prospects for diagnosis and therapy,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 211–222, 2004.