- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 207950, 4 pages
Copper Deficiency in Sheep with High Liver Iron Accumulation
1Departamento de Clinica Médica, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Professor Dr. Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, Cidade Universitária, 05508-270 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Departamento de Ciências Animais, Universidade Federal Rural do Semiárido, 59.625-900 Mossoró, RN, Brazil
Received 7 September 2012; Revised 14 November 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Marta I. Miranda Castañón
Copyright © 2012 Isadora Karolina Freitas de Sousa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. R. McDowell, Minerals For Ruminants Under Pasture in Tropical Regions, Empathizing Brazil, UNESP, São Paulo, Brazil, 1999.
- E. L. Ortolani, C. H. Machado, and M. C. A. Sucupira, “Assessment of some clinical and laboratory variables for early diagnosis of cumulative copper poisoning in sheep,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 289–293, 2003.
- N. F. Suttle, Mineral Nutrition of Livestock, Cabi Publishing, Wallingford, UK, 4th edition, 2010.
- E. C. Cardoso, L. R. McDowell, W. G. Vale, et al., “Cooper and molybdenium status of cattle and buffaloes in Marajo island, Brazil,” International Journal Animal Science, vol. 12, pp. 57–60, 1997.
- A. P. Marques, F. Riet-Correa, M. P. Soares, E. L. Ortolani, and M. J. Giuliodori, “Sudden deaths in cattle associated with copper deficiency,” Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 21–32, 2003.
- W. R. Humphries, M. Phillippo, B. W. Young, and I. Bremner, “The influence of dietary iron and molybdenum on copper metabolism in calves,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 77–86, 1983.
- M. D. Garrick, K. G. Dolan, C. Horbinski et al., “DMT1: a mammalian transporter for multiple metals,” BioMetals, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 41–54, 2003.
- S. L. Hansen, P. Schlegel, L. R. Legleiter, K. E. Lloyd, and J. W. Spears, “Bioavailability of copper from copper glycinate in steers fed high dietary sulfur and molybdenum,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 173–179, 2008.
- N. F. Suttle and D. W. Peter, “Rumen sulfide metabolism as a major determinant of the availability of copper to ruminants,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Trace Elements in Man and Animals, C. F. Mills, I. Bremner, and J. K. Chesters, Eds., pp. 367–370, Royal Slough Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Farnham, UK, 1985.
- N. V. M. Dos Santos, J. E. D. S. Sarkis, J. L. Guerra et al., “Epidemiological, clinical, etiological and histopatological evaluation of delayed enzootic ataxia outbreaks in kids and lambs,” Ciencia Rural, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1207–1213, 2006.
- B. D. Brewer, “Neurologic disease of sheep and goats,” Veterinary Clinics of North America: Large Animal Practice, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 677–700, 1983.
- A. H. H. Minervino, R. A. Barrêto Júnior, F. A. M. L. Rodrigues et al., “Paracostal liver biopsy in cattle and buffalo,” Ciencia Rural, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 798–802, 2009.
- R. A. Laven and S. L. Smith, “Copper deficiency in sheep: an assessment of the relationship between concentrations of copper in serum and plasma,” New Zealand Veterinary Journal, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 334–338, 2008.
- A. H. H. Minervino, R. A. Barrêto Júnior, R. N. F. Ferreira et al., “Clinical observations of cattle and buffalos with experimentally induced chronic copper poisoning,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 473–478, 2009.
- O. M. Radostits, C. C. Gay, K. W. Hinchcliff, and D. C. Blood, Veterinary Medicine: A Textbook of the Diseases of Cattle, Horses, Sheep, Pigs and Goat, Guanabara Koogan, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 9th edition, 2002.
- C. H. Tokarnia, J. Döbereiner, S. S. Moraes, and P. V. Peixoto, “Mineral deficiencies and imbalances in cattle and sheep—a review of Brazilian studies made between 1987 and 1998,” Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 47–62, 1999.
- F. Riet-Correa, “Mineral supplementation in small ruminants in the semiarid region,” Veterinary Science in the Tropics, vol. 7, pp. 112–130, 2004.
- A. V. S. dos Marques, P. C. Soares, F. Riet-Correa et al., “Serum and liver concentrations of copper, iron, zinc and molybdenum in sheep and goats in the state of Pernambuco,” Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 398–406, 2011.
- H. B. Jones, S. R. Gooneratne, and J. McC. Howell J., “X-ray microanalysis of liver and kidney in copper loaded sheep with and without thiomolybdate administration,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 273–282, 1984.