- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 394189, 7 pages
Evaluation of Protein Concentration and Limiting Amino Acids Including Lysine and Met + Cys in Prestarter Diet on Performance of Broilers
1Department of Animal and Poultry, Health and Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, P.O. Box 14155-6453, Tehran, Iran
2Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, P.O. Box 14155-6453, Tehran, Iran
Received 18 May 2012; Revised 29 August 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editor: Pedro J. Ginel
Copyright © 2012 Mohsen Farkhoy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Economic Research Service USDA, “Agricultural policy reform in the WTO—the road ahead,” AER no. 802, USDA, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- Z. Kamran, M. A. Mirza, A. U. Haq, and S. Mahmood, “Effect of decreasing dietary protein levels with optimum amino acids profile on the performance of broilers,” Pakistan Veterinary Journal, vol. 24, pp. 165–168, 2004.
- G. M. Pesti, “Impact of dietary amino acid and crude protein levels in broiler feeds on biological performance,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 477–486, 2009.
- M. T. Kidd, C. D. McDaniel, S. L. Branton, E. R. Miller, B. B. Boren, and B. I. Fancher, “Increasing amino acid density improves live performance and carcass yields of commercial broilers,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 593–604, 2004.
- I. R. Wallis, “Dietary supplements of methionine increase breast meat yield and decrease abdominal fat in growing broiler chickens,” Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 131–141, 1999.
- V. Ravindran and W. L. Bryden, “Amino acid availability in poultry—In vitro and in vivo measurements,” Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 889–908, 1999.
- S. L. Vieira, A. Lemme, D. B. Goldenberg, and I. Brugalli, “Responses of growing broilers to diets with increased sulfur amino acids to lysine ratios at two dietary protein levels,” Poultry Science, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1307–1313, 2004.
- Y. Han and D. H. Baker, “Digestible lysine requirement of male and female broiler chicks during the period three to six weeks posthatching,” Poultry science, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 1739–1745, 1994.
- Research Council National, Nutrient Requirements of Poultry, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 9th edition, 1994.
- M. Vazquez and G. M. Pesti, “Estimation of the lysine requirement of broiler chicks for maximum body gain and feed efficiency,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 241–246, 1997.
- M. T. Kidd, B. J. Kerr, K. M. Halpin, G. W. McWard, and C. L. Quarles, “Lysine levels in starter and grower-finisher diets affect broiler performance and carcass traits,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 351–358, 1998.
- B. J. Kerr, M. T. Kidd, K. M. Halpin, G. W. Mcward, and C. L. Quarles, “Lysine level increases live performance and breast yield in male broilers,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 381–390, 1999.
- J. Si, C. A. Fritte, D. J. Burnham, and P. W. Waldroup, “Relationship of dietary lysine level to the concentration of all essential amino acids in broiler diets,” Poultry Science, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1472–1479, 2001.
- M. C. Labadan, K. N. Hsu, and R. E. Austic, “Lysine and arginine requirements of broiler chickens at two-to three-week intervals to eight weeks of age,” Poultry Science, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 599–606, 2001.
- D. Sklan and Y. Noy, “Crude protein and essential amino acid requirements in chicks during the first week posthatch,” British Poultry Science, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 266–274, 2003.
- J. Si, C. A. Fritts, P. W. Waldroup, and D. J. Burnham, “Effects of excess methionine from meeting needs for total sulfur amino acids on utilization of diets low in crude protein by broiler chicks,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 579–587, 2004.
- B. S. Lumpkins, A. B. Batal, and D. H. Baker, “Variations in the digestible sulfur amino acid requirement of broiler chickens due to sex, growth criteria, rearing environment, and processing yield characteristics,” Poultry Science, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 325–330, 2007.
- R. P. Cody and J. K. Smith, Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 4th edition, 1997.
- B. J. Kerr and M. T. Kidd, “Amino acid supplementation of low-protein broiler diets: 2. Formulation on an ideal amino acid basis,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 310–320, 1999.
- S. Temim, A. M. Chagneau, S. Guillaumin, J. Michel, R. Peresson, and S. Tesseraud, “Does excess dietary protein improve growth performance and carcass characteristics in heat-exposed chickens?” Poultry Science, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 312–317, 2000.
- A. S. Hussein, A. H. Cantor, A. J. Pescatore et al., “Effect of low protein diets with amino acid supplementation on broiler growth,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 354–362, 2001.
- K. Bregendahl, J. L. Sell, and D. R. Zimmerman, “Effect of low-protein diets on growth performance and body composition of broiler chicks,” Poultry Science, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1156–1167, 2002.
- T. van Nguyen, C. Bunchasak, and S. Chantsavang, “Effects of dietary protein and energy on growth performance and carcass characteristics of betong chickens (Gallus domesticus) during growing period,” International Journal of Poultry Science, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 468–472, 2010.
- S. Jafarnejad, M. Farkhoy, M. Sadegh, and A. R. Bahonar, “Effect of crumble-pellet and mash diets with different levels of dietary protein and energy on the performance of broilers at the end of the third week,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2010, Article ID 328123, 5 pages, 2010.
- H. Darmani Kuhi, F. Rezaee, A. Faridi, J. France, M. Mottaghitalab, and E. Kebreab, “Application of the law of diminishing returns for partitioning metabolizable energy and crude protein intake between maintenance and growth in growing male and female broiler breeder pullets,” Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 149, no. 3, pp. 385–394, 2011.
- J. P. Holsheimer and E. W. Ruesink, “Effect on performance, carcass composition, yield, and financial return of dietary energy and lysine levels in starter and finisher diets fed to broilers,” Poultry Science, vol. 72, pp. 806–815, 1993.
- A. Aburto, M. Vazquez, and N. M. Dale, “Strategies for utilizing overprocessed soybean meal: II. Lysine supplementation,” Journal of Applied Poultry Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 196–201, 1998.
- A. M. Mukhtar, A. Mekkawi, and M. ELTigani, “The effect of feeding increasing levels of synthetic lysine and methionine in broiler chicks,” Research Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 18–20, 2007.
- O. Cengiz, A. G. Önol, O. Sevim, M. Ozturk, M. Sari, and M. Daskiran, “Influence of excessive lysine and/or methionine supplementation on growth performance and carcass traits in broiler chicks,” Revue de Medecine Veterinaire, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 230–236, 2008.
- L. B. Carew, K. G. Evarts, and F. A. Alster, “Growth, feed intake and plasma thyroid hormone levels in chicks fed dietary excesses of essential amino acids,” Poultry Science, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 295–298, 1998.
- M. Rezaei, H. Nassiri Moghadam, J. Pour Reza, and H. Kermanshahi, “The effects of dietary protein and lysine levels on broiler performance, carcass characteristics and N excretion,” International Journal of Poultry Sciences, vol. 3, pp. 148–152, 2004.
- A. B. Brito, J. H. Stringhini, and M. B. Café, “Evaluation of methionine + cystine levels in pre-starter ration (1–7 days) for broilers,” Ars Veterinaria, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2004.
- N. S. M. Leandro, W. C. P. Cunha, and M. B. Café, “Performance of broiler with different starter weight, fed diets supplemented with methionine,” Ciencia Animal Brasileira, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 373–383, 2007.
- L. F. T. Albino, S. H. M. Da Silva, J. G. Vargas, H. S. Rostagno, and M. De Almeida E Silva, “Methionine + cystine levels for broilers from 1 to 21 and from 22 to 42 days of age,” Revista Brasileira de Zootecnia, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 519–525, 1999.
- N. S. Raju, P. S. Reddy, and P. V. V. S. Reddy, “Effect of methionine supplementation to the maize soya diet on the broiler performance,” Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition, vol. 18, pp. 102–105, 2001.
- A. R. De Oliveira Neto, R. F. M. De Oliveira, J. L. Donzele, P. R. Cecon, R. G. M. V. Vaz, and E. Gasparino, “Levels of methionine + cystine for broiler chicks on thermoneutral environment,” Revista Brasileira de Zootecnia, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1956–1962, 2005.