- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 432763, 7 pages
Morphological Aspects and Immunophenotypic Profiles of Mammary Carcinomas in Benign-Mixed Tumors of Female Dogs
1Department of Medical Sciences, Federal University of Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, MG, Brazil
2Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Vale do Rio Doce, Governador Valadares, MG, Brazil
3Laboratory of Investigative Pathology, Department of Anatomic Pathology, Hospital A.C. Camargo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
4Laboratory of Comparative Pathology, Department of General Pathology, ICB-UFMG, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Received 8 March 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editor: Kazim Sahin
Copyright © 2012 Gustavo Meirelles Ribeiro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Dobson, S. Samuel, H. Milstein, K. Rogers, and J. L. N. Wood, “Canine neoplasia in the UK: estimates of incidence rates from a population of insured dogs,” Journal of Small Animal Practice, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 240–246, 2002.
- D. Bravo, P. E. C. Casallas, and J. O. Amaya, “Prevalencia de neoplasias en caninos en la universidad de los Llanos, durante 2004 a 2007,” Revista MVZ Córdoba, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1925–1927, 2010.
- G. D. Cassali, Aspectos morfológicos, imunohistoquímicos e citométricos de tumores mamários da cadela—aspectos comparativos com neoplasias da mama humana [Ph.D. thesis], Curso de Pós Graduação em Patologia: Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 2000.
- H. G. Richards, P. E. McNeil, H. Thompson, and S. W. J. Reid, “An epidemiological analysis of a canine-biopsies database compiled by a diagnostic histopathology service,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 51, no. 1-2, pp. 125–136, 2001.
- J. E. Moulton, D. O. Taylor, C. R. Dorn, and A. C. Andersen, “Canine mammary tumors,” Pathologia veterinaria, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 289–320, 1970.
- G. D. Cassali, G. E. Lavalle, A. B. De Nardi, E. Ferreira, A. C. Bertagnolli, A. Estrela-Lima, et al., “Consensus for the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of canine mammary tumors,” Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Pathology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 153–180, 2011.
- M. C. L. S. Genelhu, S. V. Cardoso, H. Gobbi, and G. D. Cassali, “A comparative study between mixed-type tumours from human salivary and canine mammary glands,” BMC Cancer, vol. 7, p. 218, 2007.
- A. Rungsipipat, S. Tateyama, R. Yamaguchi, K. Uchida, N. Miyoshi, and T. Hayashi, “Immunohistochemical Analysis of c-yes and c-erbB-2 Oncogene Products and p53 Tumor Suppressor Protein in Canine Mammary Tumors,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1999.
- T. Sørlie, C. M. Perou, R. Tibshirani et al., “Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 19, pp. 10869–10874, 2001.
- T. Sørlie, R. Tibshirani, J. Parker et al., “Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 14, pp. 8418–8423, 2003.
- A. Gama, A. Alves, and F. Schmitt, “Identification of molecular phenotypes in canine mammary carcinomas with clinical implications: application of the human classification,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 453, no. 2, pp. 123–132, 2008.
- A. G. Kurilj, M. Hohsteter, B. Artukovié, K. Severin, I. C. Sostarié-Zuckermann, A. Beck, et al., “Histopathological evaluation and immunohistochemical study of estrogen receptor α, HER-2 and Ki-67 in canine neoplastic mammary lesions,” Veterinarski Arhiv, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 709–722, 2011.
- W. Misdorp, W. Else, E. Hellmen, and T. P. Lipscomb, “Histological classification of the mammary tumors of the dog and the cat,” in World Health Organization International Histological Classification of Tumors of Domestic Animals, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1999.
- A. P. Dutra, G. M. A. Júnior, F. C. Schmitt, and G. D. Cassali, “Assessment of cell proliferation and prognostic factors in canine mammary gland tumors,” Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1403–1412, 2008.
- C. W. Elston and I. O. Ellis, “Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. The value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long-term follow-up,” Histopathology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 403–410, 1991.
- “Consensus conference on the classification of ductal carcinoma in situ,” Human Pathology, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1221–1225, 1997.
- M. D. Lagios, “Duct carcinoma in situ: pathology and treatment,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 853–871, 1990.
- F. Millanta, M. Calandrella, G. Bari, M. Niccolini, I. Vannozzi, and A. Poli, “Comparison of steroid receptor expression in normal, dysplastic, and neoplastic canine and feline mammary tissues,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 225–232, 2005.
- A. C. Wolff, M. E. H. Hammond, J. N. Schwartz et al., “American society of clinical oncology/college of American pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 18–43, 2007.
- E. A. Rakha, M. E. El-Sayed, A. R. Green, A. H. S. Lee, J. F. Robertson, and I. O. Ellis, “Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2007.
- T. O. Nielsen, F. D. Hsu, K. Jensen et al., “Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 5367–5374, 2004.
- L. A. Carey, C. M. Perou, C. A. Livasy et al., “Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 21, pp. 2492–2502, 2006.
- M. Karayannopoulou, E. Kaldrymidou, T. C. Constantinidis, and A. Dessiris, “Histological grading and prognosis in dogs with mammary carcinomas: application of a human grading method,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 246–252, 2005.
- A. C. Bertagnolli, E. Ferreira, E. J. Dias, and G. D. Cassali, “Canine mammary mixed tumours: immunohistochemical expressions of EGFR and HER-2,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 312–317, 2011.
- F. Sassi, C. Benazzi, G. Castellani, and G. Sarli, “Molecular-based tumour subtypes of canine mammary carcinomas assessed by immunohistochemistry,” BMC Veterinary Research, vol. 6, p. 5, 2010.
- A. Altemani, M. T. Martins, L. Freitas, F. Soares, N. S. Araújo, and V. C. Araújo, “Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA): immunoprofile of the cells involved in carcinomatous progression,” Histopathology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 635–641, 2005.
- A. Gama, F. Gärtner, A. Alves, and F. Schmitt, “Immunohistochemical expression of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) in canine mammary tissues,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 432–437, 2009.
- R. M. Tamimi, H. J. Baer, J. Marotti et al., “Comparison of molecular phenotypes of ductal carcinoma in situ and invasive breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 4, article R67, 2008.
- M. H. Goldschmidt, L. Peña, R. Rasotto, and V. Zappulli, “Classification and grading of canine mammary tumors,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 117–131, 2011.
- E. Antuofermo, M. A. Miller, S. Pirino, J. Xie, S. Badve, and S. I. Mohammed, “Spontaneous mammary intraepithelial lesions in dogs—a model of breast cancer,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 2247–2256, 2007.
- P. Mouser, M. A. Miller, E. Antuofermo, S. S. Badve, and S. I. Mohammed, “Prevalence and classification of spontaneous mammary intraepithelial lesions in dogs without clinical mammary disease,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 275–284, 2010.
- E. Ferreira, H. Gobbi, B. S. Saraiva, and G. D. Cassali, “Histological and immunohistochemical identification of atypical ductal mammary hyperplasia as a preneoplastic marker in dogs,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 322–329, 2011.