- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 674085, 5 pages
Estimated Prevalence of Caprine Paratuberculosis in Boer Goat Herds in Missouri, USA
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Received 30 October 2012; Revised 13 November 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Sagar M. Goyal
Copyright © 2012 Patrick Pithua and Nathaniel S. Kollias. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Ott, S. J. Wells, and B. A. Wagner, “Herd-level economic losses associated with Johne's disease on US dairy operations,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 40, no. 3-4, pp. 179–192, 1999.
- H. Petit, “Results of GDS study on paratuberculosis in small ruminants,” Point Veterinaire, vol. 37, no. 263, pp. 46–50, 2006.
- P. Kostoulas, L. Leontides, C. Billinis, G. S. Amiridis, and M. Florou, “The association of sub-clinical paratuberculosis with the fertility of Greek dairy ewes and goats varies with parity,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 74, no. 2-3, pp. 226–238, 2006.
- R. D. Bush, P. A. Windsor, and J. A. Toribio, “Losses of adult sheep due to ovine Johne's disease in 12 infected flocks over a 3-year period,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 246–253, 2006.
- K. M. Das and D. N. Seril, “Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis in Crohn's disease: the puzzle continues,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 627–628, 2012.
- L. Gitlin, T. J. Borody, W. Chamberlin, and J. Campbell, “Mycobacterium avium ss paratuberculosis-associated diseases: piecing the Crohn's puzzle together,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 649–655, 2012.
- H. Okura, N. Toft, and S. S. Nielsen, “Occurrence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in milk at dairy cattle farms: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 157, no. 3-4, pp. 253–263, 2012.
- M. Feller, K. Huwiler, R. Stephan et al., “Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis and Crohn's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 607–613, 2007.
- I. Abubakar, D. Myhill, S. H. Aliyu, and P. R. Hunter, “Detection of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratubercubsis from patients with Crohn's disease using nucleic acid-based techniques: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 401–410, 2008.
- NAHMS, “The goat industry: structure, concentration, demand and growth,” 090805, p. 1, 2009.
- NAHMS, “Part III: biosecurity and disease-prevention practices on U.S. goat operations, 2009,” 594.0112, p. 70, 2009.
- I. Dohoo, W. Martin, and H. Stryhn, Veterinary Epidemiologic Research, AVC, Prince Edward Island, Canada, 2003.
- D. A. Dargatz, B. A. Byrum, L. K. Barber et al., “Evaluation of a commercial ELISA for diagnosis of paratuberculosis in cattle,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 218, no. 7, pp. 1163–1166, 2001.
- S. E. Ridge and A. L. Vizard, “Determination of the optimal cutoff value for a serological assay: an example using the Johne's Absorbed EIA,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1256–1261, 1993.
- L. D. Brown, T. T. Cai, and A. DasGupta, “Interval estimation for a binomial proportion,” Statistical Science, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 101–133, 2001.
- W. J. Rogan and B. Gladen, “Estimating prevalence from the results of a screening test,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 1978.
- R. J. Whittington, G. J. Eamens, and D. V. Cousins, “Specificity of absorbed ELISA and agar gel immunodiffusion tests for paratuberculosis in goats with observations about use of these tests in infected goats,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 81, no. 1-2, pp. 71–75, 2003.
- U. S. A. Prionics, “Mycobacterium paratuberculosis antibody test kit. An in vitro daignostics. Parachek. An in vitro daignostic test kit for detection of antibodies to Mycobacterium paratuberculosis,” Cattle, Sheep, and Goats, http://www.prionics.com/diseases-solutions/paratuberculosis/.
- A. Stau, B. Seelig, D. Walter, C. Schroeder, and M. Ganter, “Seroprevalence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in small ruminants in Germany,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 105, no. 1–3, pp. 361–365, 2012.
- S. S. Nielsen and N. Toft, “A review of prevalences of paratuberculosis in farmed animals in Europe,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2009.
- P. Mercier, C. Baudry, F. Beaudeau, H. Seegers, and X. Malher, “Estimated prevalence of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection in herds of dairy goats in France,” Veterinary Record, vol. 167, no. 11, pp. 412–415, 2010.
- M. Liapi, L. Leontides, P. Kostoulas et al., “Bayesian estimation of the true prevalence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis infection in Cypriot dairy sheep and goat flocks,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 95, no. 2-3, pp. 174–178, 2011.
- B. Çetinkaya, H. M. Erdogan, and K. L. Morgan, “Relationships between the presence of Johne's disease and farm and management factors in dairy cattle in England,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 32, no. 3-4, pp. 253–266, 1997.
- M. B. Jakobsen, L. Alban, and S. S. Nielsen, “A cross-sectional study of paratuberculosis in 1155 Danish dairy cows,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2000.
- K. A. Woodbine, Y. H. Schukken, L. E. Green et al., “Seroprevalence and epidemiological characteristics of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis on 114 cattle farms in south west England,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 89, no. 1-2, pp. 102–109, 2009.
- V. Messam, A. J. Branscum, M. T. Collins, and I. A. Gardner, “Frequentist and Bayesian approaches to prevalence estimation using examples from Johne's disease,” Animal Health Research Reviews, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 2008.
- NASS, “Angora Goats—inventory, number sold, and mohair production: 2002 and 199,” 104, p. 377, 2002.