- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 687424, 7 pages
P-Cadherin Expression in Feline Mammary Tissues
1Escola Universitária Vasco da Gama (EUVG), Quinta de S. Jorge, Estrada da Conraria, Castelo Viegas, 3040-714 Coimbra, Portugal
2Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas Abel Salazar, Universidade do Porto (ICBAS-UP), Rua de Jorge Viterbo Ferreira No. 228, 4050-313 Porto, Portugal
3Instituto Português de Oncologia de Coimbra Francisco Gentil, EPE (IPOCFG,EPE) Avenida Bissaya Barreto, No. 98, 3000-075 Coimbra, Portugal
4Instituto de Patologia e Imunologia Molecular da Universidade do Porto (IPATIMUP), Rua Dr Roberto Frias s/n, 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Received 17 April 2012; Accepted 13 August 2012
Academic Editor: Giuliano Bettini
Copyright © 2012 Ana Catarina Figueira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. D. Angst, C. Marcozzi, and A. I. Magee, “The cadherin superfamily: diversity in form and function,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 629–641, 2001.
- M. Takeichi, “Cadherin cell adhesion receptors as a morphogenetic regulator,” Science, vol. 251, no. 5000, pp. 1451–1455, 1991.
- M. Takeichi, “Morphogenetic roles of classic cadherins,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 619–627, 1995.
- M. J. Wheelock, A. P. Soler, and K. A. Knudsen, “Cadherin junctions in mammary tumors,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 275–285, 2001.
- F. Nollet, P. Kools, and F. Van Roy, “Phylogenetic analysis of the cadherin superfamily allows identification of six major subfamilies besides several solitary members,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 299, no. 3, pp. 551–572, 2000.
- P. Cowin, T. M. Rowlands, and S. J. Hatsell, “Cadherins and catenins in breast cancer,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 499–508, 2005.
- C. W. Daniel, P. Strickland, and Y. Friedmann, “Expression and functional role of E- and P-cadherins in mouse mammary ductal morphogenesis and growth,” Developmental Biology, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 511–519, 1995.
- A. Gama, J. Paredes, A. Albergaria, F. Gartner, and F. Schmitt, “P-cadherin expression in canine mammary tissues,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2004.
- A. Gama, J. Paredes, F. Gärtner, A. Alves, and F. Schmitt, “Expression of E-cadherin, P-cadherin and β-catenin in canine malignant mammary tumours in relation to clinicopathological parameters, proliferation and survival,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2008.
- J. Palacios, N. Benito, A. Pizarro et al., “Anomalous expression of P-cadherin in breast carcinoma: correlation with E-cadherin expression and pathological features,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 605–612, 1995.
- J. Paredes, A. L. Correia, A. S. Ribeiro, A. Albergaria, F. Milanezi, and F. C. Schmitt, “P-cadherin expression in breast cancer: a review,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 5, p. 214, 2007.
- C. Gamallo, G. Moreno-Bueno, D. Sarrió, F. Calero, D. Hardisson, and J. Palacios, “The prognostic significance of P-cadherin in infiltrating ductal breast carcinoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 650–654, 2001.
- A. Kovács, J. Dhillon, and R. A. Walker, “Expression of P-cadherin, but not E-cadherin or N-cadherin, relates to pathological and functional differentiation of breast carcinomas,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 318–322, 2003.
- J. Paredes, F. Milanezi, J. S. Reis-Filho, D. Leitão, D. Athanazio, and F. Schmitt, “Aberrant P-cadherin expression: is it associated with estrogen-independent growth in breast cancer?” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 198, no. 12, pp. 795–801, 2002.
- J. C. A. F. Paredes, M. F. G. Milanezi, J. S. Reis-Filho, et al., “Correlação entre as expressões de P-caderina e de receptores de estrógeno no câncer da mama” “Correlation between P-cadherin and estrogen receptor expression in breast câncer”,” Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial, vol. 38, pp. 307–331, 2002.
- J. Paredes, F. Milanezi, L. Viegas, I. Amendoeira, and F. Schmitt, “P-cadherin expression is associated with high-grade ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 440, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2002.
- J. Paredes, A. Albergaria, J. T. Oliveira, C. Jeronimo, F. Milanezi, and F. C. Schmitt, “P-cadherin overexpression is an indicator of clinical outcome in invasive breast carcinomas and is associated with CDH3 promoter hypomethylation,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 16, pp. 5869–5877, 2005.
- W. Misdorp and K. Weijer, “Animal model of human disease. Breast cancer,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 573–576, 1980.
- W. Misdorp, R. W. Else, E. Hellmén, and T. P. Lipscomb, Histological Classification of Mammary Tumors of the Dog and the Cat, vol. 7, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in cooperation with the American Registry of Pathology and The World Health Organization Colaborating Center for Worldwide Reference on Comparative Oncology, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- C. W. Elston and I. O. Ellis, “Assessment of histological grade,” in Systemic Pathology: The Breast, C. W. Elston and I. O. Ellis, Eds., vol. 13, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 3rd edition, 1998.
- N. Pećina-Šlaus, “Tumor suppressor gene E-cadherin and its role in normal and malignant cells,” Cancer Cell International, vol. 3, article 17, 2003.
- G. Turashvili, S. E. McKinney, O. Goktepe et al., “P-cadherin expression as a prognostic biomarker in a 3992 case tissue microarray series of breast cancer,” Modern Pathology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 64–81, 2011.
- A. Albergaria, A. S. Ribeiro, A. F. Vieira, et al., “P-cadherin role in normal breast development and cancer,” The International Journal of Developmental Biology, vol. 55, pp. 811–822, 2011.
- J. Paredes, A. L. Correia, A. S. Ribeiro, F. Milanezi, J. Cameselle-Teijeiro, and F. C. Schmitt, “Breast carcinomas that co-express E- and P-cadherin are associated with p120-catenin cytoplasmic localisation and poor patient survival,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 856–862, 2008.
- A. S. Ribeiro, A. Albergaria, B. Sousa et al., “Extracellular cleavage and shedding of P-cadherin: a mechanism underlying the invasive behaviour of breast cancer cells,” Oncogene, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 392–402, 2010.
- G. D. Cassali, P. Silva, A. Rêma et al., “A new methodology for the improvement of diagnostic immunohistochemistry in canine veterinary pathology: automated system using human monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies,” Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 326–331, 2001.
- A. Kovács and R. A. Walker, “P-cadherin as a marker in the differential diagnosis of breast lesions,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 139–141, 2003.
- A. Gama, J. Paredes, M. F. Milanezi, J. S. Reis-Filho, F. Gartner, and F. C. Schmitt, “P-cadherin expression in canine lactating mammary gland,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 420–421, 2002.
- A. Peralta Soler, K. A. Knudsen, H. Salazar, A. C. Han, and A. A. Keshgegian, “P-cadherin expression in breast carcinoma indicates poor survival,” Cancer, vol. 86, pp. 1263–1272, 1999.
- A. Albergaria, A. S. Ribeiro, S. Pinho et al., “ICI 182,780 induces P-cadherin overexpression in breast cancer cells through chromatin remodelling at the promoter level: a role for C/EBPβ in CDH3 gene activation,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 2554–2566, 2010.
- Y. Shimoyama and S. Hirohashi, “Expression of E- and P-cadherin in gastric carcinomas,” Cancer Research, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 2185–2192, 1991.
- A. Espinosa Los de Monteros, M. Y. Millán, J. Ordás, L. Carrasco, C. Reymundo, and J. Martín Las de Mulas, “Immunolocalization of the smooth muscle-specific protein calponin in complex and mixed tumors of the mammary gland of the dog: assessment of the morphogenetic role of the myoepithelium,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 2002.
- A. Gama, A. Alves, F. Gartner, and F. Schmitt, “p63: a novel myoepithelial cell marker in canine mammary tissues,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 412–420, 2003.
- M. A. Deugnier, J. Teulière, M. M. Faraldo, J. P. Thiery, and M. A. Glukhova, “The importance of being a myoepithelial cell,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 224–230, 2002.
- M. P. Foschini and V. Eusebi, “Carcinomas of the breast showing myoepithelial cell differentiation,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 432, no. 4, pp. 303–310, 1998.
- L. N. Z. Ramalho, A. Ribeiro-Silva, G. D. Cassali, and S. Zucoloto, “The expression of p63 and cytokeratin 5 in mixed tumors of the canine mammary gland provides new insights into the histogenesis of these neoplasms,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 424–429, 2006.
- A. C. Han, “Role of Cadherins in Breast Cancer,” in Handbook of Immunohistochemistry and in situ Hybridization of Human Carcinomas, M. A. Hayat, Ed., vol. 1, Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, Vt, USA, 2004.
- A. C. Han, A. P. Soler, K. A. Knudsen, and H. Salazar, “Distinct cadherin profiles in special variant carcinomas and other tumors of the breast,” Human Pathology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1035–1039, 1999.
- K. A. Knudsen and M. J. Wheelock, “Cadherins and the mammary gland,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 488–496, 2005.