- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 761034, 8 pages
Vitamin D Receptor, Retinoid X Receptor, Ki-67, Survivin, and Ezrin Expression in Canine Osteosarcoma
1BluePearl Veterinary Partners, Overland Park, KS 66210, USA
2Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
3Oncology Division, Department of Medicine, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
4Department of Dietetics and Nutrition, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
5Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
6Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Kansas University Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
7LACF at University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, One Illini Drive, Peoria, IL 61656, USA
Received 10 September 2012; Revised 27 November 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editor: Ingo Nolte
Copyright © 2012 John Davies et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Withrow and D. M. Vail, Withrow & MacEwen's Small Animal Clinical Oncology, Saunders Elsevier, St Louis Missouri, 4th edition edition, 2007.
- J. Kirpensteijn, M. Kik, G. R. Rutteman, and E. Teske, “Prognostic significance of a new histologic grading system for canine osteosarcoma,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2002.
- A. Coomer, J. Farese, R. Milner, J. Liptak, N. Bacon, and D. Lurie, “Radiation therapy for canine appendicular osteosarcoma,” Veterinary and Comparative Oncology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2009.
- H. M. Knapp-Hoch, J. L. Fidel, R. K. Sellon, and P. R. Gavin, “An expedited palliative radiation protocol for lytic or proliferative lesions of appendicular bone in dogs,” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2009.
- K. Barabas, R. Milner, D. Lurie, and C. Adin, “Cisplatin: a review of toxicities and therapeutic applications,” Veterinary and Comparative Oncology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2008.
- E. Goeck and G. P. Studzinski, “Vitamin D and differentiation in cancer,” Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 190–209, 2009.
- F. D. Coffman and G. P. Studzinski, “Differentiation-related mechanisms which suppress DNA replication,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 58–73, 1999.
- M. L. Mehl, S. J. Withrow, B. Seguin et al., “Spontaneous regression of osteosarcoma in four dogs,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 219, no. 5, pp. 614–617, 2001.
- E. F. Barroga, T. Kadosawa, M. Okumura, and T. Fujinaga, “Influence of vitamin D and retinoids on the induction of functional differentiation in vitro of canine osteosarcoma clonal cells,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 186–193, 2000.
- E. F. Barroga, T. Kadosawa, K. Asano, M. Okumura, and T. Fujinaga, “Apoptosis induction of POS canine osteosarcoma cells by vitamin D and retinoids,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1269–1272, 1998.
- J. C. Fleet, “Molecular actions of vitamin D contributing to cancer prevention,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 388–396, 2008.
- D. M. Vail and E. G. MacEwen, “Spontaneously occurring tumors of companion animals as models for human cancer,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 781–792, 2000.
- R. De Maria, S. Miretti, S. Iussich et al., “met oncogene activation qualifies spontaneous canine osteosarcoma as a suitable pre-clinical model of human osteosarcoma,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 218, no. 3, pp. 399–408, 2009.
- K. S. Latimer, E. A. Mahaffey, and K. W. Prasse, Duncan & Prasse's Veterinary Laboratory Medicine Clinical Pathology, Blackwell publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA, 4th edition.
- P. Lips, “Vitamin D physiology,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 4–8, 2006.
- M. R. Haussler, C. A. Haussler, P. W. Jurutka et al., “The vitamin D hormone and its nuclear receptor: molecular actions and disease states,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 154, pp. S57–S73, 1997.
- J. Gerdes, H. Lemke, and H. Baisch, “Cell cycle analysis of a cell proliferation associated human nuclear antigen defined by the monoclonal antibody Ki-67,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 1710–1715, 1984.
- K. Wang, S. Chen, W. Xie, and Y. J. Y. Wan, “Retinoids induce cytochrome P450 3A4 through RXR/VDR-mediated pathway,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 2204–2213, 2008.
- C. Khanna, X. Wan, S. Bose et al., “The membrane-cytoskeleton linker ezrin is necessary for osteosarcoma metastasis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 182–186, 2004.
- A. C. Fields, G. Cotsonis, D. Sexton, R. Santoianni, and C. Cohen, “Survivin expression in hepatocellular carcinoma: correlation with proliferation, prognostic parameters, and outcome,” Modern Pathology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1378–1385, 2004.
- W. E. Grizzle, R. B. Myers, M. M. Arnold, and S. Srivastava, “Evaluation of biomarkers in breast and prostate cancer,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 56, supplement 19, pp. 259–266, 1994.
- W. Mendenhall, R. J. Beaver, and B. M. Beaver, Introduction to Probability and Statistics, Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, Pacific Grove, Calif, USA, 10th edition, 2009.
- R. Kommagani, A. Whitlatch, M. K. Leonard, and M. P. Kadakia, “P73 is essential for vitamin D-mediated osteoblastic differentiation,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 398–407, 2010.
- K. Ng, B. M. Wolpin, J. A. Meyerhardt et al., “Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and survival in patients with colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, pp. 916–923, 2009.
- U. Zügel, A. Steinmeyer, E. May, M. Lehmann, and K. Asadullah, “Immunomodulation by a novel, dissociated Vitamin D3 analogue,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 619–627, 2009.
- M. E. Valrance, A. H. Brunet, and J. Welsh, “Vitamin D receptor-dependent inhibition of mammary tumor growth by EB1089 and ultraviolet radiation in vivo,” Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 10, pp. 4887–4894, 2007.
- R. Gallagher, J. Keighly, J. Tancabelic, et al., “Clinicopathologic correlation of vitamin D receptor expression with retinoid X receptor and MIB-1 expression in primary and metastatic osteosarcoma,” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 323–329, 2012.
- A. V. Krishnan and D. Feldman, “Stimulation of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor gene expression in cultured cells by serum and growth factors,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1099–1107, 1991.
- H. S. Cross, P. Bareis, H. Hofer et al., “25-Hydroxyvitamin D3-1α-hydroxylase and vitamin D receptor gene expression in human colonic mucosa is elevated during early cancerogenesis,” Steroids, vol. 66, no. 3–5, pp. 287–292, 2001.
- B. E. Elliott, J. A. Meens, S. K. SenGupta, D. Louvard, and M. Arpin, “The membrane cytoskeletal crosslinker ezrin is required for metastasis of breast carcinoma cells,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. R365–373, 2005.
- M. Curto and A. I. McClatchey, “Ezrin… a metastatic detERMinant?” Cancer Cell, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 113–114, 2004.
- H. R. Park, R. L. Cabrini, E. S. Araujo, M. L. Paparella, D. Brandizzi, and Y. K. Park, “Expression of ezrin and metastatic tumor antigen in osteosarcomas of the jaw,” Tumori, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2009.
- R. Jong, A. M. Davis, M. G. Mendes, J. S. Wunder, R. S. Bell, and R. Kandel, “Proliferative activity (Ki-67 expression) and outcome in high grade osteosarcoma: a study of 27 cases,” Sarcoma, vol. 4, no. 1-2, pp. 47–55, 2000.
- E. Osaka, T. Suzuki, S. Osaka et al., “Survivin as a prognostic factor for osteosarcoma patients,” Acta Histochemica et Cytochemica, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 95–100, 2006.
- R. J. Mellanby, A. P. Mee, J. L. Berry, and M. E. Herrtage, “Hypercalcaemia in two dogs caused by excessive dietary supplementation of vitamin D,” Journal of Small Animal Practice, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 334–338, 2005.
- M. Danilenko and G. P. Studzinski, “Enhancement by other compounds of the anti-cancer activity of vitamin D3 and its analogs,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 298, no. 2, pp. 339–358, 2004.
- E. J. Tokar, B. B. Ancrile, R. J. Ablin, and M. M. Webber, “Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) and the retinoid N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide (4-HPR) are synergistic for chemoprevention of prostate cancer,” Journal of Experimental Therapeutics and Oncology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 323–333, 2006.