- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 865924, 5 pages
Tuberculosis in Humans and Cattle in Jigawa State, Nigeria: Risk Factors Analysis
1Department of Veterinary Surgery and Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, P.O. Box 720, Zaria, Nigeria
2Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, University of Ibadan, P.O. Box 720, Ibadan, Nigeria
3Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, P.O. Box 720, Zaria, Nigeria
4Animal Reproduction, Unit Jigawa Research Institute, 2646 Kazaure, Nigeria
Received 28 October 2011; Revised 31 March 2012; Accepted 29 April 2012
Academic Editor: Suresh Tikoo
Copyright © 2012 S. Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Van Soolingen, P. E. W. De Haas, J. Haagsma et al., “Use of various genetic markers in differentiation of Mycobacterium bovis strains from animals and humans and for studying epidemiology of bovine tuberculosis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 2425–2433, 1994.
- E. L. Corbett, C. J. Watt, N. Walker et al., “The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interactions with the HIV epidemic,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 9, pp. 1009–1021, 2003.
- O. Cosivi, J. M. Grange, C. J. Daborn et al., “Zoonotic tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis in developing countries,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–70, 1998.
- L. M. O'Reilly and C. J. Daborn, “The epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis infections in animals and man: a review,” Tubercle and Lung Disease, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 1–46, 1995.
- W. Y. Ayele, S. D. Neill, J. Zinsstag, M. G. Weiss, and I. Pavlik, “Bovine tuberculosis: an old disease but a new threat to Africa,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 924–937, 2004.
- G. W. De Lisle, R. G. Bengis, S. M. Schmitt, and D. J. O'Brien, “Tuberculosis in free-ranging wildlife: detection, diagnosis and management,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 317–334, 2002.
- R. R. Kazwala, D. M. Kambarage, C. J. Daborn, J. Nyange, S. F. H. Jiwa, and J. M. Sharp, “Risk factors associated with the occurrence of bovine tuberculosis in cattle in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 609–614, 2001.
- S. Cleaveland, D. J. Shaw, S. G. Mfinanga et al., “Mycobacterium bovis in rural Tanzania: risk factors for infection in human and cattle populations,” Tuberculosis, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 30–43, 2007.
- S. G. M. Mfinanga, O. Morkve, R. R. Kazwala et al., “Mycobacterial adenitis: role of Mycobacterium bovis, non-tuberculous mycobacteria, HIV infection, and risk factors in Arusha, Tanzania,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 171–178, 2004.
- J. Oloya, J. B. Muma, J. Opuda-Asibo, B. Djønne, R. Kazwala, and E. Skjerve, “Risk factors for herd-level bovine-tuberculosis seropositivity in transhumant cattle in Uganda,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 318–329, 2007.
- World Health Organization, Global and Regional Incidence. Tuberculosis Facts Sheets, 2006.
- World Health Organisation, World Health Organization Global Tuberculosis Control Surveillance, Planning and Financing, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.
- Diagnosis of Jigawa Agriculture, Jigawa Agricultural and Rural Development Agency, 2000.
- M. J. Walshe, J. Grindle, A. Nell, and M. Bachmann, “Dairy Development in Sub-Saharan Africa,” World Bank Technical Paper No. 135, 1991.
- M. G. Minja, R. L. Kurwijila, and R. R. Kazwala, “Occurrence and survival of mycobacteria species in fermented milk from traditional cattle herds: a case study of Usangu Plain in Southern Highlands Tanzania,” in Proceedings of the Proceedings of Conference of Tanzania Society for Animal Production, vol. 25, pp. 125–202, Morogoro, Tanzania, 1998.
- A. Idrisu and P. Schnurrenberger, “Public Health Significance of Bovine tuberculosis in four northern states of Nigeria: a mycobacteriologic study,” Nigerian Medical Journal, vol. 7, pp. 384–387, 1977.
- P. N. Acha and B. Szyfres, Zoonoses and Communicable Diseases Common to Man and Animals, vol. 503, WHO, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 1987.
- S. G. Mfinanga, O. Mørkve, R. R. Kazwala et al., “The role of livestock keeping in tuberculosis trends in Arusha, Tanzania,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 695–704, 2003.
- G. Ameni, K. Amenu, and M. Tibbo, “Bovine Tuberculosis: Prevalence and risk factors assessment in cattle and cattle owners in Wuchale-Jida district, Central Ethiopia,” International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine, vol. 1, pp. 1–13, 2003.
- L. M. Shehu, Survey of tuberculosis and tubecle bacilli in fulani herds,Nono and some herdsmen in Zaria [M.S. thesis], Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, 1988.