- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 869146, 8 pages
Tuberculosis in Goats and Sheep in Afar Pastoral Region of Ethiopia and Isolation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Goat
1Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P.O. Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Addis Ababa University, P.O. Box 34, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia
3Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Health and Society, Department of Community Medicine, International Community Health, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1130, Blindern N-0318 Oslo, Norway
4Afar Pastoral Agricultural Bureau, Afar Pastoral Region, P.O. Box 73, Semera, Ethiopia
Received 3 February 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: Michael D. Welsh
Copyright © 2012 Gezahegne Mamo Kassa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- FAOSTAT, 2009, http://faostat.fao.org/site/573/DesktopDefault.aspx?PageID=573.
- PFE, “Pastoralist forum Ethiopia—background to the Ethiopian livestock industry,” in Proceedings of the 3rd National Conference on Pastoral Development in Ethiopia: Pastoralism and Sustainable Pastoral Development, pp. 78–79, PFE, Addis Ababa, 2004.
- D. O. Cordes, J. A. Bullians, D. E. Lake, and M. E. Carter, “Observations on tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium bovis in sheep,” New Zealand Veterinary Journal, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 60–62, 1981.
- M. H. Tag el Din and I. el Nour Gamaan, “Tuberculosis in sheep in the Sudan,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 14, no. 1, p. 26, 1982.
- A. Aranaz, E. Liébana, E. Gómez-Mampaso et al., “Mycobacterium tuberculosis subsp. caprae subsp. nov.: a taxonomic study of a new member of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolated from goats in Spain,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1263–1273, 1999.
- T. Crawshaw, R. Daniel, R. Clifton-Hadley et al., “TB in goats caused by Mycobacterium bovis,” Veterinary Record, vol. 163, no. 4, p. 127, 2008.
- R. Daniel, H. Evans, S. Rolfe et al., “Outbreak of tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium bovis in golden Guernsey goats in great britain,” Veterinary Record, vol. 165, no. 12, pp. 335–342, 2009.
- A. E. Sharpe, C. P. Brady, A. J. Johnson, W. Byrne, K. Kenny, and E. Costello, “Concurrent outbreak of tuberculosis and caseous lymphadenitis in a goat herd,” Veterinary Record, vol. 166, no. 19, pp. 591–592, 2010.
- C. Marianelli, N. Cifani, M. T. Capucchio et al., “A case of generalized bovine tuberculosis in a sheep,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 445–448, 2010.
- M. G. Houlihan, S. J. Williams, and J. D. Poff, “Mycobacterium bovis isolated from a sheep during routine surveillance,” Veterinary Record, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 94–95, 2008.
- S. Naima, M. Borna, and M. Bakir, “TB in cattle and Goat of North Algeria,” Veterinary Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 100–103, 2011.
- M. Muñoz Mendoza, L. D. Juan, S. Menéndez et al., “Tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis and Mycobacterium caprae in sheep,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 267–269, 2012.
- A. Shanahan, M. Good, A. Duignan, T. Curtin, and S. J. More, “Tuberculosis in goats on a farm in Ireland: epidemiological investigation and control,” Veterinary Record, vol. 168, no. 18, p. 485, 2011.
- A. Hiko and G. E. Agga, “First-time detection of mycobacterium species from goats in Ethiopia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 133–139, 2011.
- S. I. Cadmus, H. K. Adesokan, A. O. Jenkins, and D. Van Soolingen, “Mycobacterium bovis and M. tuberculosis in goats, Nigeria,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2066–2067, 2009.
- R. Tschopp, K. Bobosha, A. Aseffa et al., “Bovine tuberculosis at a cattle-small ruminant-human interface in Meskan, Gurage region, Central Ethiopia,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, article 318, 2011.
- K. Tafess, F. Dawo, T. Sori, and G. Ameni, “Prevalence of caprine tuberculosis in mid-rift valley area of Oromia, Ethiopia,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 1473–1478, 2011.
- G. Mamo, A. Kassaye, M. Sanni, and G. Ameni, “A cross sectional study of camel tuberculosis in Ethiopia,” Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, vol. 57, p. 1, 2009.
- D. Biffa, E. Skjerve, J. Oloya et al., “Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium bovis isolates from Ethiopian cattle,” BMC Veterinary Research, vol. 6, article 28, 2010.
- B. Gumi, E. Schelling, R. Firdessa et al., “Prevalence of bovine tuberculosis in pastoral cattle herds in the Oromia region, southern Ethiopia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1081–1087, 2011.
- R. Tschopp, A. Aseffa, E. Schelling et al., “Bovine tuberculosis at the wildlife-livestock-human interface in Hamer Woreda, South Omo, Southern Ethiopia,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e12205, 2010.
- G. Mamo, G. Bayleyegn, T. S. Tessema et al., “Pathology of camel tuberculosis and molecular characterization of its causative agents in pastoral regions of Ethiopia,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e15862, 2011.
- ANRS, “Afar National Regional State: Programme of Plan on Adaptation to Climate Change,” Report, Semera, 2010, http://ebookbrowse.com/afar-national-regional-state-climate-change-adaptation-program-pdf-d127720299.
- CSA, “Central Statistic Agency—report on Livestock and livestock characteristics (private peasant holdings),” Statistical Bulletin 468, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2010.
- OIE, “Office International des Epizooties (OIE) Terrestrial manual: chapter 2.4.7. Bovine Tuberculosis,” World Health Organization for Animal Health, Paris, France, 2009.
- G. Ameni, G. Hewinson, A. Aseffa, D. Young, and M. Vordermeier, “Appraisal of interpretation criteria for the comparative intradermal tuberculin test for diagnosis of tuberculosis in cattle in central Ethiopia,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1272–1276, 2008.
- Langston University, “Body condition scores in goats,” in Meat Goat Production Handbook, Langston University, 2007.
- ESGPIP and Techinical Bulletin No. 8, “Body condition scoring of sheep and goat, ESGPIP,” http://www.esgpip.org/PDF/Technical%20bulletin%20No8.html.
- A. F. Vatta, S. A. Gumede, and L. J. S. Harrison, Goatkeepers' Veterinary Manual, Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Onderstepoort, South Africa, 2005.
- ESGPIP and Techinical Bulletin No. 23, “Estimation of weight and age of sheep and goats, ESGPIP, Ethiopia,” http://www.esgpip.org/PDF/Technical%20bulletin%20No.23.pdf.
- OIE, “Bovine Tuberculosis. OIE Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines,” 5th edition, 2004.
- S. Wilton and D. Cousins, “Detection and identification of multiple mycobacterial pathogens by DNA amplification in a single tube,” Genome Research, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 269–273, 1992.
- J. Kamerbeek, L. Schouls, A. Kolk et al., “Simultaneous detection and strain differentiation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for diagnosis and epidemiology,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 907–914, 1997.
- G. Ameni, A. Aseffa, H. Engers et al., “High prevalence and increased severity of pathology of bovine tuberculosis in holsteins compared to zebu breeds under field cattle husbandry in central Ethiopia,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1356–1361, 2007.
- S. I. B. Cadmus, C. A. Agada, I. I. Onoja, and I. Salisu, “Risk factors associated with bovine tuberculosis in some selected herds in Nigeria,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 547–549, 2010.
- B. Gumi, E. Schelling, S. Berg, et al., “Zoonotic transmission of tuberculosis between pastoralists and their Livestock in southeast Ethiopia,” EcoHealth. In press.
- K. Brudey, J. R. Driscoll, L. Rigouts et al., “Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex genetic diversity: mining the fourth international spoligotyping database (SpolDB4) for classification, population genetics and epidemiology,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 6, article 23, 2006.
- G. Ameni, M. Vordermeier, R. Firdessa et al., “Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in grazing cattle in central Ethiopia,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 359–361, 2011.
- S. Berg, R. Firdessa, M. Habtamu et al., “The burden of mycobacterial disease in Ethiopian cattle: implications for public health,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 4, Article ID e5068, 2009.