- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 921869, 6 pages
The Nexus between Bovine Tuberculosis and Fasciolosis Infections in Cattle of the Kafue Basin Ecosystem in Zambia: Implications on Abattoir Surveillance
1Department of Disease Control, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P.O. Box 32379, Lusaka 10101, Zambia
2Section of Aquatic Medicine and Nutrition, Department of Basic Sciences and Aquatic Medicine, Norwegian School of Veterinary Sciences, P.O. Box 8146, 0033 Oslo, Norway
3Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P.O. Box 32379, Lusaka 10101, Zambia
Received 25 June 2012; Revised 3 October 2012; Accepted 10 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jyoji Yamate
Copyright © 2012 Musso Munyeme et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, E. Skjerve et al., “Risk factors associated with bovine tuberculosis in traditional cattle of the livestock/wildlife interface areas in the Kafue basin of Zambia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 317–328, 2008.
- M. Munyeme, L. Rigouts, I. C. Shamputa et al., “Isolation and characterization of Mycobacterium bovis strains from indigenous zambian cattle using spacer oligonucleotide typing technique,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 9, article 144, 2009.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui et al., “Prevalence of bovine tuberculosis and animal level risk factors for indigenous cattle under different grazing strategies in the livestock/wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 2009.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, V. M. Siamudaala, E. Skjerve, H. M. Munang'andu, and M. Tryland, “Tuberculosis in Kafue lechwe antelopes (Kobus leche Kafuensis) of the Kafue Basin in Zambia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 95, no. 3-4, pp. 305–308, 2010.
- A. M. Phiri, I. K. Phiri, C. S. Sikasunge, and J. Monrad, “Prevalence of fasciolosis in Zambian cattle observed at selected abattoirs with emphasis on age, sex and origin,” Journal of Veterinary Medicine B, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 414–416, 2005.
- A. M. Phiri, I. K. Phiri, S. Siziya, C. S. Sikasunge, M. Chembensofu, and J. Monrad, “Seasonal pattern of bovine fasciolosis in the Kafue and Zambezi catchment areas of Zambia,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 1-2, pp. 87–92, 2005.
- A. M. Phiri, I. K. Phiri, C. S. Sikasunge, M. Chembensofu, and J. Monrad, “Comparative fluke burden and pathology in condemned and non-condemned cattle livers from selected abattoirs in Zambia,” Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 275–281, 2006.
- A. M. Phiri, A. Chota, J. B. Muma, M. Munyeme, and C. S. Sikasunge, “Helminth parasites of the Kafue lechwe antelope ( Kobus leche Kafuensis): a potential source of infection to domestic animals in the Kafue wetlands of Zambia,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 20–27, 2011.
- J. Yabe, I. K. Phiri, A. M. Phiri, M. Chembensofu, P. Dorny, and J. Vercruysse, “Concurrent infections of Fasciola, Schistosoma and Amphistomum spp. in cattle from Kafue and Zambezi river basins of Zambia,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 373–376, 2008.
- D. Clery, P. Torgerson, and G. Mulcahy, “Immune responses of chronically infected adult cattle to Fasciola hepatica,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 71–82, 1996.
- V. O. Ezenwa, R. S. Etienne, G. Luikart, A. Beja-Pereira, and A. E. Jolles, “Hidden consequences of living in a wormy world: nematode-induced immune suppression facilitates tuberculosis invasion in African buffalo,” American Naturalist, vol. 176, no. 5, pp. 613–624, 2010.
- P. Minden, P. J. Kelleher, and J. H. Freed, “Immunological evaluation of a component isolated from Mycobacterium bovis BCG with a monoclonal antibody to M. bovis BCG,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 519–525, 1984.
- J. S. Dillman, Final Report, Veterinary Wildlife Research Section, Department of Veterinary Services, Ministry of Africulture, Lusaka, Zambia, 1976.
- J. A. Drewe, A. K. Foote, R. L. Sutcliffe, and G. P. Pearce, “Pathology of Mycobacterium bovis infection in wild meerkats (Suricata suricatta),” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 12–24, 2009.
- Anonymous, Annual Report of the Department of Veterinary and Livestock Development, Government of the Republic of Zambia, 2004.
- C. H. Collins and J. M. Grange, “The bovine tubercle bacillus,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 13–29, 1983.
- J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui, V. M. Siamudaala et al., “Prevalence of antibodies to Brucella spp. and individual risk factors of infection in traditional cattle, goats and sheep reared in livestock-wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 195–206, 2006.
- J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui, J. Oloya, M. Munyeme, and E. Skjerve, “Risk factors for brucellosis in indigenous cattle reared in livestock-wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 306–317, 2007.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, H. M. Munang'andu, C. Kankya, E. Skjerve, and M. Tryland, “Cattle owners' awareness of bovine tuberculosis in high and low prevalence settings of the wildlife-livestock interface areas in Zambia,” BMC Veterinary Research, vol. 6, article 21, 2010.
- J. F. Gracey, D. S. Collins, and R. J. Huey, Meat Hygiene, W B Saunders and Company, Toronto, Canada, 10th edition, 1999.
- I. Dohoo, W. Martin, and H. Stryhn, Veterinary Epidemiology Research, Charlotte, NC, USA, 2003.
- C. Rapsch, G. Schweizer, F. Grimm et al., “Estimating the true prevalence of Fasciola hepatica in cattle slaughtered in Switzerland in the absence of an absolute diagnostic test,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 36, no. 10-11, pp. 1153–1158, 2006.
- M. T. Brady, S. M. O'Neill, J. P. Dalton, and K. H. G. Mills, “Fasciola hepatica suppresses a protective Th1 response against Bordetella pertussis,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 5372–5378, 1999.
- R. J. Flynn, C. Mannion, O. Golden, O. Hacariz, and G. Mulcahy, “Experimental Fasciola hepatica infection alters responses to tests used for diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 1373–1381, 2007.
- R. J. Flynn and G. Mulcahy, “Possible role for toll-like receptors in interaction of Fasciola hepatica excretory/secretory products with bovine macrophages,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 678–684, 2008.