- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 159489, 6 pages
Limitations of the Use of Pressure Waves to Verify Correct Epidural Needle Position in Dogs
1Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy Division, Vetsuisse Faculty,
University of Berne, Länggasstraße 124, 3012 Berne, Switzerland
2Comparative Medicine Division, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Grenzacherstraße 124, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Received 21 April 2013; Revised 31 May 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Remo Lobetti
Copyright © 2013 Chiara Adami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. K. Hendrix, M. R. Raffe, E. P. Robinson, L. J. Felice, and D. A. Randall, “Epidural administration of bupivacaine, morphine, or their combination for postoperative analgesia in dogs,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 209, no. 3, pp. 598–607, 1996.
- M. G. Hoelzler, R. C. Harvey, D. A. Lidbetter, and D. L. Millis, “Comparison of perioperative analgesic protocols for dogs undergoing tibial plateau leveling osteotomy,” Veterinary Surgery, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 337–344, 2005.
- D. Campagnol, F. J. Teixeira-Neto, R. G. Peccinini, F. A. Oliveira, R. K. Alvaides, and L. Q. Medeiros, “Comparison of the effects of epidural or intravenous methadone on the minimum alveolar concentration of isoflurane in dogs,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 192, no. 3, pp. 311–315, 2011.
- W. G. Son, J. Kim, J. P. Seo et al., “Cranial epidural spread of contrast medium and new methylene blue dye in sternally recumbent anaesthetized dogs,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 510–515, 2011.
- D. Zhang, R. Nishimura, S. Nagahama et al., “Comparison of feasibility and safety of epidural catheterization between cranial and caudal lumbar vertebral segments in dogs,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1573–1577, 2011.
- L. Campoy, “Epidural and spinal anaesthesia in the dog,” In Practice, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 262–269, 2004.
- R. M. Jones, “Epidural analgesia in the dog and cat,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 2001.
- A. Valverde, “Epidural analgesia and anesthesia in dogs and cats,” Veterinary Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1205–1230, 2008.
- M. S. Chawathe, R. M. Jones, C. D. Gildersleve, S. K. Harrison, S. J. Morris, and C. Eickmann, “Detection of epidural catheters with ultrasound in children,” Paediatric Anaesthesia, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 681–684, 2003.
- D. Tran, A. A. Kamani, E. Al-Attas, V. A. Lessoway, S. Massey, and R. N. Rohling, “Single-operator real-time ultrasound-guidance to aim and insert a lumbar epidural needle,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 313–321, 2010.
- F. L. Garcia-Pereira, J. Hauptman, A. C. Shih, S. E. Laird, and A. Pease, “Evaluation of electric neurostimulation to confirm correct placement of lumbosacral epidural injections in dogs,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 157–160, 2010.
- B. C. Tsui, D. Emery, R. R. E. Uwiera, and B. Finucane, “The use of electrical stimulation to monitor epidural needle advancement in a porcine model,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1611–1613, 2005.
- J. N. Ghia, S. K. Arora, M. Castillo, and S. K. Mukherji, “Confirmation of location of epidural catheters by epidural pressure waveform and computed tomography cathetergram,” Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 337–341, 2001.
- T. G. Maddox, “Adverse reactions to contrast material: recognition, prevention, and treatment,” American Family Physician, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 1229–1234, 2002.
- I. Iff, Y. Moens, and U. Schatzmann, “Use of pressure waves to confirm the correct placement of epidural needles in dogs,” Veterinary Record, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 22–25, 2007.
- I. Iff, M. Mosing, and Y. Moens, “Pressure profile in the caudal extradural space of standing horses before and after extradural drug administration,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 112–115, 2009.
- I. Iff, M. Paula Larenza, and Y. P. S. Moens, “The extradural pressure profile in goats following extradural injection,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2009.
- I. Iff, S. Franz, and Y. Moens, “Measurement of the puncture profile and extradural pressure of cattle during extradural anaesthesia,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 2009.
- I. H. Lee, N. Yamagishi, and H. Yamada, “Lumbar epidural pressure in cattle,” Veterinary Record, vol. 149, no. 17, pp. 525–526, 2001.
- I. Lee, N. Yamagishi, K. Oboshi, H. Yamada, and M. Ohtani, “Multivariate regression analysis of epidural pressure in cattle,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 954–957, 2002.
- K. Baldwin, J. Bartges, T. Buffington et al., “AAHA nutritional assessment guidelines for dogs and cats,” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 285–296, 2010.
- E. P. Steffey and K. R. Mama, “Inhalation anesthetics,” in Lumb & Jones' Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia, W. J. Tranquilli, J. C. Thurmon, and K. A. Grimm, Eds., pp. 355–395, Blackwell, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2007.
- I. Iff and Y. Moens, “Evaluation of extradural pressure waves and lack of resistance test to confirm extradural needle placement in dogs,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 328–331, 2010.