- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 165348, 7 pages
Effect of Addition of Taurine on the Liquid Storage (5°C) of Mithun (Bos frontalis) Semen
Animal Reproduction Laboratory, National Research Centre on Mithun (ICAR), Jharnapani, Nagaland 797 106, India
Received 4 March 2013; Revised 20 May 2013; Accepted 30 May 2013
Academic Editor: Lorraine M. Sordillo
Copyright © 2013 P. Perumal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. J. Simoons, “Gayal or mithun,” in Evolution of Domesticated Animals, I. L. Manson, Ed., pp. 34–36, Longman, London, UK, 1984.
- S. K. Mondal and D. T. Pal, “Mithun: historical perspective,” Asian Agri-History, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 245–260, 1999.
- M. Karunakaran, A. Dhali, A. Mech, K. Khate, C. Rajkhowa, and D. P. Mishra, “Preservation of mithun (Bos frontalis) semen at refrigeration temperature,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 101, no. 3-4, pp. 257–264, 2007.
- P. Perumal, S. Selvaraju, S. Selvakumar et al., “Effect of pre-freeze addition of cysteine hydrochloride and reduced glutathione in semen of crossbred jersey bulls on sperm parameters and conception rates,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 636–641, 2011.
- P. Perumal, S. Selvaraju, A. K. Barik, D. N. Mohanty, S. Das, and P. C. Mishra, “Role of reduced glutathione in improving post-thawed frozen seminal characters of poor freezable Jersey crossbred bull semen,” Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 807–810, 2011.
- J. L. Bailey, J.-F. Bilodeau, and N. Cormier, “Minireview: semen cryopreservation in domestic animals: a damaging and capacitating phenomenon,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2000.
- M. P. Sinha, A. K. Sinha, B. K. Sinha, and P. I. Prasad, “The effect of glutathione on motility, enzyme leakage and fertility of frozen goat semen,” Theriogenology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 237–243, 1996.
- A. K. Bansal and G. S. Bilaspuri, “Impacts of oxidative stress and antioxidants on semen function,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2011, Article ID 686137, 7 pages, 2011.
- W. M. C. Maxwell and P. F. Watson, “Recent progress in the preservation of ram semen,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 42, no. 1–4, pp. 55–65, 1996.
- E. G. Aisen, V. H. Medina, and A. Venturino, “Cryopreservation and post-thawed fertility of ram semen frozen in different trehalose concentrations,” Theriogenology, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 1801–1808, 2002.
- O. Uysal, M. N. Bucak, I. Yavas, O. Varish, and I. Safa Gurcan, “Evaluation of ram sperm frozen with various taurine concentrations,” Indian Veterinary Journal, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1059–1061, 2005.
- M. N. Bucak and N. Tekin, “Protective effect of taurine, glutathione and trehalose on the liquid storage of ram semen,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 73, no. 1–3, pp. 103–108, 2007.
- A. Baran, K. Demir, B. E. Sahin et al., “Short-term chilled storage of cat semen extended with and without taurine containing milk extenders,” Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1367–1371, 2009.
- J. G. Alvarez and B. T. Storey, “Taurine, hypotaurine, epinephrine and albumin inhibit lipid peroxidation in rabbit spermatozoa and protect against loss of motility,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 548–555, 1983.
- H. Funahashi and T. Sano, “Select antioxidants improve the function of extended boar semen stored at 10°C,” Theriogenology, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1605–1616, 2005.
- O. Uysal, M. N. Buck, I. Yavas, and O. Varisli, “Effect of various antioxidants on the quality of frozen thawed bull semen,” Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1362–1366, 2007.
- S. Lopes, A. Jurisicova, J.-G. Sun, and R. F. Casper, “Reactive oxygen species: potential cause for DNA fragmentation in human spermatozoa,” Human Reproduction, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 896–900, 1998.
- M. N. Bucak, A. Ateşşahin, Ö. Varişli, A. Yüce, N. Tekin, and A. Akçay, “The influence of trehalose, taurine, cysteamine and hyaluronan on ram semen. Microscopic and oxidative stress parameters after freeze-thawing process,” Theriogenology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 1060–1067, 2007.
- A. Atessahin, M. N. Bucak, P. B. Tuncer, and M. Kizil, “Effects of anti-oxidant additives on microscopic and oxidative parameters of Angora goat semen following the freeze-thawing process,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2008.
- Y. Chen, R. H. Foote, and C. C. Brockett, “Effect of sucrose, trehalose, hypotaurine, taurine, and blood serum on survival of frozen bull sperm,” Cryobiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 423–431, 1993.
- R. H. Foote, Y. Chen, and C. C. Brockett, “Physiology and management. Fertility of bull spermatozoa frozen in whole milk extender with trehalose, taurine, or blood serum,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 1908–1913, 1993.
- N. S. Tomar, Artificial Insemination and Reproduction of Cattle and Buffalos, Sarojprakashan, Allahabad, India, 1997.
- T. R. Robeck and J. K. O'Brien, “Effect of cryopreservation methods and precryopreservation storage on bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) sperms,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 1340–1348, 2004.
- P. F. Watson, “Use of a Giemsa stain to detect changes in acrosomes of frozen ram spermatozoa,” Veterinary Record, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 12–15, 1975.
- W. M. Buckett, R. G. Farquharson, M. J. M. Luckas, C. R. Kingsland, I. A. Aird, and D. I. Lewis-Jones, “The hypo-osmotic swelling test in recurrent miscarriage,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 506–509, 1997.
- S. G. Revell and R. A. Mrode, “An osmotic resistance test for bovine semen,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 77–86, 1994.
- J. A. Buege and S. D. Aust, “Microsomal lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 52, pp. 302–310, 1978.
- S. A. Suleiman, M. E. Ali, Z. M. S. Zaki, E. M. A. El-Malik, and M. A. Nasr, “Lipid peroxidation and human sperm motility: protective role of vitamin E,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 530–537, 1996.
- S. Chhillar, V. K. Singh, R. Kumar, and S. K. Atreja, “Effects of Taurine or Trehalose supplementation on functional competence of cryopreserved Karan Fries semen,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 135, no. 1–4, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- R. P. Holmes, H. O. Goodman, Z. K. Shihabi, and J. P. Jarow, “The taurine and hypotaurine content of human semen,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 289–292, 1992.
- J. F. Griveau, E. Dumont, P. Renard, J. P. Callegari, and D. le Lannou, “Reactive oxygen species, lipid peroxidation and enzymatic defence systems in human spermatozoa,” Journal of Reproduction and Fertility, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 1995.
- J. G. Alvarez and B. T. Storey, “Evidence for increased lipid peroxidative damage and loss of superoxide dismutase activity as a mode of sublethal cryodamage to human sperm during cryopreservation,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 232–241, 1992.
- K. Urata, H. Narahara, Y. Tanaka, T. Egashira, F. Takayama, and I. Miyakawa, “Effect of endotoxin-induced reactive oxygen species on sperm motility,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 163–166, 2001.
- S. Sariözkan, M. N. Bucak, P. B. Tuncer, P. A. Ulutaş, and A. Bilgen, “The influence of cysteine and taurine on microscopic-oxidative stress parameters and fertilizing ability of bull semen following cryopreservation,” Cryobiology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 134–138, 2009.
- D. L. Garner and E. S. E. Hafez, “Spermatozoa and seminal plasma,” in Reproduction in Farm Animals, E. S. E. Hafez, Ed., pp. 167–182, Lea and Febier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1993.
- J. M. Corteel, “Effects du plasma séminal sur la survie et la fertilité des spermatozoids conservés in vitro,” Reproduction Nutrition Development, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1111–1123, 1980.
- M. Gündoǧan, “Some reproductive parameters and seminal plasma constituents in relation to season in Akkaraman and Awassi rams,” Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 2006.
- R. B. Buckland, “The activity of six enzymes of chicken seminal plasma and sperm. 1. Effect of in vitro storage and full sib families on enzyme activity and fertility,” Poultry Science, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1724–1734, 1971.
- J. Aitken, “Mechanisms of prevention of lipid peroxidation in human spermatozoa,” in Human Acrosome Reaction, P. Fenichel and J. Parinaud, Eds., pp. 339–353, 1995.
- E. de Lamirande, H. Jiang, A. Zini, H. Kodama, and C. Gagnon, “Reactive oxygen species and sperm physiology,” Reviews of Reproduction, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 1997.
- E. de Lamirande and C. Gagnon, “Impact of reactive oxygen species on spermatozoa: a balancing act between beneficial and detrimental effects,” Human Reproduction, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 1995.
- M. Kobayashi, T. Kakizono, and S. Nagai, “Astaxanthin production by a green alga, Haematococcus pluvialis accompanied with morphological changes in acetate media,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 335–339, 1991.
- W. V. Holt, “Fundamental aspects of sperm cryobiology: the importance of species and individual differences,” Theriogenology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 47–58, 2000.
- F. Urner and D. Sakkas, “Characterization of glycolysis and pentose phosphate pathway activity during sperm entry into the mouse oocyte,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 973–978, 1999.
- A. J. Travis, C. J. Jorgez, T. Merdiushev et al., “Functional relationships between capacitation-dependent cell signaling and compartmentalized metabolic pathways in murine spermatozoa,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 10, pp. 7630–7636, 2001.
- T. S. Witte and S. Schäfer-Somi, “Involvement of cholesterol, calcium and progesterone in the induction of capacitation and acrosome reaction of mammalian spermatozoa,” Animal Reproduction Science, vol. 102, no. 3-4, pp. 181–193, 2007.
- A. I. Moore, E. L. Squires, and J. K. Graham, “Adding cholesterol to the stallion sperm plasma membrane improves cryosurvival,” Cryobiology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 241–249, 2005.
- R. A. Saleh and A. Agarwal, “Oxidative stress and male infertility: from research bench to clinical practice,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 737–752, 2002.