- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 212830, 6 pages
Histopathological Studies on Stunting Syndrome in Broilers, Lahore, Pakistan
Department of Zoology, GC University, Lahore 64000, Pakistan
Received 24 April 2013; Revised 24 June 2013; Accepted 28 June 2013
Academic Editor: Daral J. Jackwood
Copyright © 2013 Muhammad Fiaz Qamar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Zavala and H. Sellers, “Runting/stunting syndrome,” The Informed Poultry Professional Issue, vol. 85, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- J. M. J. Rebel, F. R. M. Balk, J. Post, S. Van Hemert, B. Zekarias, and N. Stockhofe, “Malabsorption syndrome in broilers,” World's Poultry Science Journal, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 17–30, 2006.
- G. Zavala and T. Barbosa, “Runting and stunting in broiler chickens,” Apinco-Facta, 2006, http://www.poultryhealth.com/?f.
- B. Kouwenhoven, F. G. Davelar, and Van Walsum, “Infectious proventriculitis causing runting in broilers,” Avian Pathology, vol. 7, pp. 183–187, 1978.
- L. van der Heide, D. Lütticken, and M. Horzinek, “Isolation of avian reovirus as a possible etiologic agent of osteoporosis (“brittle bone disease”; “femoral head necrosis”) in broiler chickens,” Avian Diseases, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 847–856, 1981.
- M. A. Goodwin, J. F. Davis, M. S. McNulty, J. Brown, and E. C. Player, “Enteritis (so-called runting stunting syndrome) in Georgia broiler chicks,” Avian Diseases, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 451–458, 1993.
- R. K. Page, O. J. Fletcher, G. N. Rowland, D. Gaudry, and P. Villegas, “Malabsorption syndrome in broiler chickens,” Avian Diseases, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 618–624, 1982.
- F. Shapiro, I. Nir, and D. Heller, “Stunting syndrome in broilers: effect of stunting syndrome inoculums obtained from stunting syndrome affected broilers, on broilers, leghorns and turkey poults,” Poultry Science, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 230–236, 1998.
- I. J. Smart, D. A. Barr, R. L. Reece, W. M. Forsyth, and I. Ewing, “Experimental reproduction of the runting-stunting syndrome of broiler chickens,” Avian Pathology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 617–627, 1988.
- H. Sellers, E. Linneman, A. H. Icard, and E. Mundt, “A purified recombinant baculovirus expressed capsid protein of a new astrovirus provides partial protection to runting-stunting syndrome in chickens,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1253–1263, 2010.
- P. Rudas, G. Sályi, and J. Szabó, “Decreased thyroxine, triiodothyronine, and 5'-deiodination levels in malabsorption syndrome (runting or stunting syndrome) in artificially inoculated broilers,” Avian Diseases, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 293–297, 1986.
- N. Jindal, D. P. Patnayak, A. F. Ziegler, A. Lago, and S. M. Goyal, “Experimental reproduction of poult enteritis syndrome: clinical findings, growth response, and microbiology,” Poultry Science, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 949–958, 2009.
- H. Nilli, M. Jahantigh, and S. Nazifi, “Clinical observation, pathology and serum biochemical changes in infectious stunting syndrome of broiler chickens,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, vol. 16, pp. 161–166, 2007.
- M. D. Ruff, “Nutrient absorption and changes in blood plasma of stunted broilers,” Avian Diseases, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 852–859, 1982.
- C. Riddell and D. Derow, “Infectious stunting and pancreatic fibrosis in broiler chickens in Saskatchewan,” Avian Diseases, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 107–115, 1985.
- P. Otto, E. M. Liebler-Tenorio, M. Elschner, J. Reetz, U. Löhren, and R. Diller, “Detection of rotaviruses and intestinal lesions in broiler chicks from flocks with Runting and Stunting Syndrome (RSS),” Avian Diseases, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 411–418, 2006.
- R. Reece, “Infectious stunting syndromes and related diseases in poultry,” in Proceedings of the AVPA Meeting Christchurch, October 2010.
- B. Kouwenhoven, M. H. Vertommen, and E. Goren, “Runting and stunting syndrome in broilers-the disease with many names and faces,” in Proceedings of the Post Graduate Committee in Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, no. 66, pp. 73–79, 1983.
- C. D. Bracewell and C. J. Randall, “The infectious stunting syndrome,” World's Poultry Science Journal, vol. 40, pp. 31–37, 1984.
- J. A. Frazier and R. L. Reece, “Infectious stunting syndrome of chickens in great Britain: intestinal ultrastructural pathology,” Avian Pathology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 759–777, 1990.
- H. Farmer, “Research progress on infectious stunting syndrome,” Poultry International, vol. 25, pp. 12–13, 1986.
- I. K. Barker and A. A. Van Dreumel, “The alimentary system,” Pathology of Domestic Animals, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 51–90, 1985.
- I. K. Barker, V. Dreumel, and N. Palmer, “Pathophysiology of intestinal diseases,” Pathology of Domestic Animals, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 111–116, 1992.
- A. J. Sinclair, D. H. Embury, I. J. Smart et al., “Pancreatic degeneration in broilers with runting and stunting syndrome,” Veterinary Record, vol. 115, no. 19, pp. 485–488, 1984.
- M. F. Martland, “Histopathology of the chick pancreas following pancreatic duct ligation,” The Veterinary Record, vol. 118, no. 19, pp. 526–530, 1986.
- T. Songserm, J. M. A. Pol, D. Van Roozelaar, G. L. Kok, F. Wagenaar, and A. A. H. M. Ter Huurne, “A comparative study of the pathogenesis of malabsorption syndrome in broilers,” Avian Diseases, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 556–567, 2000.
- G. R. Bayyari, W. E. Huff, J. M. Balog, N. C. Rath, and J. N. Beasley, “Experimental reproduction of proventriculitis using homogenates of proventricular tissue,” Poultry Science, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 1799–1809, 1995.
- R. D. Montgomery, C. R. Boyle, W. R. Maslin, and D. L. Magee, “Attempts to reproduce a runting/stunting-type syndrome using infectious agents isolated from affected mississippi broilers,” Avian Diseases, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 80–92, 1997.