- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 239186, 7 pages
Pilot Study to Evaluate the Effect of Topical Dimethicone on Clinical Signs and Skin Barrier Function in Dogs with Naturally Occurring Atopic Dermatitis
1College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Piazza Umberto I, 1-70121 Bari, Italy
2Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, 2015 SW 16th Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32610-0126, USA
Received 22 February 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Remo Lobetti
Copyright © 2013 C. Pellicoro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Gupta, A. Sheikh, D. P. Strachan, and H. R. Anderson, “Time trends in allergic disorders in the UK,” Thorax, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 91–96, 2007.
- T. Willemse, “Comparative aspects of canine and human atopic dermatitis,” Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, vol. 3, no. 4, p. 255, 1988.
- K. H. Rhodes, F. Kerdel, and N. A. Soter, “Comparative aspects of canine and human atopic dermatitis,” Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 166–172, 1987.
- A. Nødtvedt, J. Guitian, A. Egenvall, U. Emanuelson, and D. U. Pfeiffer, “The spatial distribution of atopic dermatitis cases in a population of insured Swedish dogs,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 78, no. 3-4, pp. 210–222, 2007.
- R. Marsella and D. Samuelson, “Unravelling the skin barrier: a new paradigm for atopic dermatitis and house dust mites,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 20, no. 5-6, pp. 533–540, 2009.
- R. Marsella, T. Olivry, and D. N. Carlotti, “Current evidence of skin barrier dysfunction in human and canine atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 239–248, 2011.
- A. D. Irvine and W. H. I. McLean, “Breaking the (un)sound barrier: filaggrin is a major gene for atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1200–1202, 2006.
- Y. Vasilopoulos, M. J. Cork, R. Murphy et al., “Genetic association between an AACC insertion in the 3′UTR of the stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme gene and atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 2004.
- M. D. Howell, B. E. Kim, P. Gao, et al., “Cytokine modulation of atopic dermatitis filaggrin skin expression,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 150–155, 2007.
- P. M. Elias and M. Schmuth, “Abnormal skin barrier in the etiopathogenesis of atopic dermatitis,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 437–446, 2009.
- R. Marsella, D. Samuelson, and K. Doerr, “Transmission electron microscopy studies in an experimental model of canine atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2010.
- D. R. Wilson and H. Maibach, Transepidermal Water Loss. A Review. Cutaneous Investigation in Health and Disease. Non-Invasive Methods and Instrumentation, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1989.
- M. Loden, H. Olsson, T. Axéll, and Y. Werner Linde, “Friction, capacitance and transepidermal water loss (TEWL) in dry atopic and normal skin,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 137–141, 1992.
- Y. L. V. A. Werner and M. Lindberg, “Transepidermal water loss in dry and clinically normal skin in patients with atopic dermatitis,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 102–105, 1985.
- I. Nicander, M. Nyrén, L. Emtestam, and S. Ollmar, “Baseline electrical impedance measurements at various skin sites—related to age and sex,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 252–258, 1997.
- K. Hightower, R. Marsella, and A. Flynn-Lurie, “Effects of age and allergen exposure on transepidermal water loss in a house dust mite-sensitized beagle model of atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2010.
- M. Mao-Qiang, B. E. Brown, S. Wu-Pong, K. R. Feingold, and P. M. Elias, “Exogenous nonphysiologic vs physiologic lipids: divergent mechanisms for correction of permeability barrier dysfunction,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 131, no. 7, pp. 809–816, 1995.
- R. Ghadially, L. Halkier-Sorensen, and P. M. Elias, “Effects of petrolatum on stratum corneum structure and function,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 387–396, 1992.
- Federal Register, “Skin protectant drug products for over-the-counter human use,” 347: 48:6832, 1983.
- H. Zhai, F. Brachman, A. Pelosi et al., “A bioengineering study on the efficacy of a skin protectant lotion in preventing SLS-induced dermatitis,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 77–80, 2000.
- Z. D. Draelos, “New treatments for restoring impaired epidermal barrier permeability: skin barrier repair creams,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 30, pp. 345–348, 2012.
- Z. D. Draelos, “Active agents in common skin care products,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 719–724, 2010.
- T. Olivry, R. Marsella, T. Iwasaki et al., “Validation of CADESI-03, a severity scale for clinical trials enrolling dogs with atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 78–86, 2007.
- P. Prèlaud, E. Guaguère, Z. Alahaidari, N. Faivre, D. Héripret, and A. Gayerie, “Reevaluation of diagnostic criteria of canine atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Medical Review, vol. 149, pp. 1057–1064, 1998.
- T. Olivry, R. Mueller, T. Nuttall, C. Favrot, and P. Prélaud, “Determination of CADESI-03 thresholds for increasing severity levels of canine atopic dermatitis,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 115–119, 2008.
- D. W. Scott, W. H. Miller, and C. E. Griffin, “Skin immune system and allergic skin disease,” in Muller & Kirk's Small Animal Dermatology, p. 588, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 2001.
- P. Bizikova, K. E. Linder, J. Paps, and T. Olivry, “Effect of a novel topical diester glucocorticoid spray on immediate- and late-phase cutaneous allergic reactions in Maltese-beagle atopic dogs: a placebo-controlled study,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 70–79, 2010.
- U. Berndt, W. Wigger-Alberti, B. Gabard, and P. Elsner, “Efficacy of a barrier cream and its vehicle as protective measures against occupational irritant contact dermatitis,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 77–80, 2000.
- H. B. Slade, J. Fowler, Z. D. Draelos, B. T. Reece, and D. I. Cargill, “Clinical efficacy evaluation of a novel barrier protection cream,” Cutis, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 21–28, 2008.
- K. Ulman, D. Neun, and L. Tan-Sien-Hee, “Silicones for topical pharmaceuticals,” Pharmaceutical Formulation & Quality, pp. 136–142, 2005.
- M. B. Reddy, R. J. Looney, M. J. Utell, K. P. Plotzke, and M. E. Andersen, “Modeling of human dermal absorption of octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5),” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 422–431, 2007.
- S. L. Hester, C. A. Rees, R. A. Kennis et al., “Evaluation of corneometry (skin hydration) and transepidermal water-loss measurements in two canine breeds,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, supplement 8, pp. 2110S–2113S, 2004.
- A. Watson, T. Fray, S. Clarke, D. Yates, and P. Markwell, “Reliable use of the ServoMed evaporimeter EP-2 to assess transepidermal water loss in the canine,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 6, supplement 2, pp. 1661S–1664S, 2002.
- P. J. Lau-Gillard, P. B. Hill, C. J. Chesney, C. Budleigh, and A. Immonen, “Evaluation of a hand-held evaporimeter (VapoMeter) for the measurement of transepidermal water loss in healthy dogs,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 136–145, 2010.
- R. Marsella, “Are transepidermal water loss and clinical signs correlated in canine atopic dermatitis? A compilation of studies,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 3, pp. 238–243, 2012.
- T. Yoshihara, K. Shimada, Y. Momoi, K. Konno, and T. Iwasaki, “A new method of measuring the Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL) of dog skin,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 289–292, 2007.
- L. Cornegliani, A. Vercelli, E. Sala, and R. Marsella, “Transepidermal water loss in healthy and atopic dogs, treated and untreated: a comparative preliminary study,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 2012.
- K. Ohmori, A. Tanaka, Y. Makita, M. Takai, Y. Yoshinari, and H. Matsuda, “Pilot evaluation of the efficacy of shampoo treatment with ultrapure soft water for canine pruritus,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 477–483, 2010.
- M. Fujimura, Y. Nakatsuji, S. Fujiwara, C. Rème, and H. Gatto, “Spot-on skin lipid complex as an adjunct therapy in dogs with atopic dermatitis: an open pilot study,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2011, Article ID 281846, 5 pages, 2011.
- A. Piekutowska, D. Pin, C. A. Rème, H. Gatto, and M. Haftek, “Effects of a topically applied preparation of epidermal lipids on the stratum corneum barrier of atopic dogs,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 197–203, 2008.
- I. Popa, N. Remoue, B. Osta et al., “The lipid alterations in the stratum corneum of dogs with atopic dermatitis are alleviated by topical application of a sphingolipid-containing emulsion,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 665–671, 2012.
- R. Marsella, D. Genovese, L. Gilmer, et al., “Investigations on the effects of a topical ceramide and free fatty acid solution (Allerderm Spot on) on clinical signs and skin barrier function in dogs with atopic dermatitis: a double blinded, randomized, controlled study,” in Proceedings of the 7th World Congress of Veterinary Dermatology, Vancouver, Canada, 2012.
- A. W. Lucky, A. D. Leach, P. Laskarzewski, and H. Wenck, “Use of an emollient as a steroid-sparing agent in the treatment of mild to moderate atopic dermatitis in children,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 321–324, 1997.
- K. Wirén, C. Nohlgård, F. Nyberg et al., “Treatment with a barrier-strengthening moisturizing cream delays relapse of atopic dermatitis: a prospective and randomized controlled clinical trial,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1267–1272, 2009.