- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 321390, 8 pages
Ultrastructural Comparison of the Nasal Epithelia of Healthy and Naturally Affected Rabbits with Pasteurella multocida A
1Departamento de Patología, Hospital Universitario Fundación Santafé de Bogotá, Bogotá, Colombia
2Laboratorio de Patología Veterinaria, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá, Colombia
3Departamento de Patología Veterinaria, Facultad de Ciencias Pecuarias, Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas y Ambientales, Bogotá, Colombia
Received 5 December 2012; Accepted 13 February 2013
Academic Editor: Jyoji Yamate
Copyright © 2013 Paula Esquinas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Flatt and D. L. Dungworth, “Enzootic pneumonia in rabbits: naturally occurring lesions in lungs of apparently healthy young rabbits,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 621–626, 1971.
- R. E. Flatt and D. L. Dungworth, “Enzootic pneumonia in rabbits: microbiology and comparison with lesions experimentally produced by Pasteurella multocida and a chlamydial organism,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 627–637, 1971.
- R. F. DiGiacomo, L. E. Garlinghouse, and G. L. Van Hoosier, “Natural history of infection with Pasteurella multocida in rabbits,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 183, no. 11, pp. 1172–1175, 1983.
- B. J. Deeb, R. F. DiGiacomo, B. L. Bernard, and S. M. Silbernagel, “Pasteurella multocida and Bordetella bronchiseptica infections in rabbits,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 1990.
- M. Kpodekon, P. Rideaud, and P. Coudert, “Pasteurellosis du lapin: revue,” Revue de Médecine Vétérinaire, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 221–232, 1999.
- S. Rougier, D. Galland, S. Boucher, D. Boussarie, and M. Vallé, “Epidemiology and susceptibility of pathogenic bacteria responsible for upper respiratory tract infections in pet rabbits,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 115, no. 1–3, pp. 192–198, 2006.
- A. M. Lennox and S. Kelleher, “Bacterial and parasitic diseases of rabbit,” Veterinary Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 519–530, 2009.
- Harkness and Wagner, “Specific diseases and conditions,” in The Biology and Medicine of Rabbits and Rodents, pp. 265–271, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 4th edition, 1995.
- B. J. Deeb and R. F. DiGiacomo, “Respiratory diseases of rabbits,” The Veterinary Clinics of North America, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 465–480, 2000.
- J. D. Boyce, L. O. Ryc, I. Wilkie, and B. Adler, “Pasteurella and manheimia,” in Pathogenesis of Bacterial Infections in Animals, C. L. Gyles, J. F. Prescott, J. G. Songer, and C. O. Thoen, Eds., pp. 273–285, Blackwell, Ames, Iowa, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- M. H. Al-Haddawi, S. Jasni, M. Zamri-Saad, A. R. Mutalib, and A. R. Sheikh-Omar, “Ultrastructural pathology of the upper respiratory tract of rabbits experimentally infected with Pasteurella multocida A:3,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 1999.
- M. H. Al-Haddawi, S. Jasni, M. Zamri-Saad et al., “In vitro study of Pasteurella multocida adhesion to trachea, lung and aorta of rabbits,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 274–281, 2000.
- M. H. Al-Haddawi, S. Jasni, D. A. Israf, M. Zamri-Saad, A. R. Mutalib, and A. R. Sheikh-Omar, “Ultrastructural pathology of nasal and tracheal mucosa of rabbits experimentally infected with Pasteurella multocida serotype D:1,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 191–197, 2001.
- L. Botero and C. Iregui, “Caracterización de la interrelación entre la Pasteurella multocida y la Bordetella bronchiseptica con células epiteliales de la cavidad nasal y la nasofaringe durante el curso de la neumonía enzoótica de los conejos,” Revista de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 21–39, 1999.
- OIE. Office International des Épizooties, Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines For Terrestrial Animals, 2000.
- K. M. Townsend, J. D. Boyce, J. Y. Chung, A. J. Frost, and B. Adler, “Genetic organization of Pasteurella multocida cap loci and development of a multiplex capsular PCR typing system,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 924–929, 2001.
- J. C. Murillo and C. Iregui, “Descripción morfológica de la presencia de bacterias durante el curso del síndrome neumonía enzoótica en conejos,” Revista Acovez, vol. 17, pp. 23–26, 1993.
- B. W. Jafek, “Ultrastructure of human nasal mucosa,” Laryngoscope, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 1576–1599, 1983.
- P. K. Jeffery, A. J. Wardlaw, F. C. Nelson, J. V. Collins, and A. B. Kay, “Bronchial biopsies in asthma. An ultrastructural, quantitative study and correlation with hyperreactivity,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1745–1753, 1989.
- P. Q. Montgomery, N. D. Stafford, and C. Stolinski, “Ultrastructure of human fetal trachea. A morphological study of the luminal and glandular epithelia at the mid-trimester,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 173, pp. 43–59, 1990.
- K. M. Westrin, “Crystal containing membrane bound intracellular inclusion bodies in the epithelium of experimentally infected sinus mucosa,” Ultrastructural Pathology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 563–569, 1996.
- G. Grevers, “The role of fenestrated vessels for the secretory process in the nasal mucosa: a histological and transmission electron microscopic study in the rabbit,” Laryngoscope, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 1255–1258, 1993.
- D. McClenahan, K. Hillenbrand, A. Kapur, D. Carlton, and C. Czuprynski, “Effects of extracellular ATP on bovine lung endothelial and epithelial cell monolayer morphologies, apoptoses, and permeabilities,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2009.
- R. F. Slocombe, J. Malark, R. Ingersoll, F. J. Derksen, and N. E. Robinson, “Importance of neutrophils in the pathogenesis of acute pneumonic pasteurellosis in calves,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 2253–2258, 1985.
- D. J. Weiss, M. C. Bauer, L. O. Whiteley, S. K. Maheswaran, and T. R. Ames, “Changes in blood and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid components in calves with experimentally induced pneumonic pasteurellosis,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 337–344, 1991.
- K. Singh, J. W. Ritchey, and A. W. Confer, “Mannheimia haemolytica: bacterial-host interactions in bovine Pneumonia,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 338–348, 2011.
- D. McClenahan, K. Hellenbrand, D. Atapattu et al., “Effects of lipopolysaccharide and Mannheimia haemolytica leukotoxin on bovine lung microvascular endothelial cells and alveolar epithelial cells,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 338–347, 2008.
- M. R. Knowles, L. L. Clarke, and R. C. Boucher, “Activation by extracellular nucleotides of chloride secretion in the airway epithelia of patients with cystic fibrosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 8, pp. 533–538, 1991.
- M. Son, Y. Ito, S. Sato et al., “Apical and basolateral ATP-induced anion secretion in polarized human airway epithelia,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 411–419, 2004.
- N. A. Maniatis and S. E. Orfanos, “The endothelium in acute lung injury/acute respiratory distress syndrome,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2008.
- D. Ferrari, P. Chiozzi, S. Falzoni, S. Hanau, and F. Di Virgilio, “Purinergic modulation of interleukin-1β release from microglial cells stimulated with bacterial endotoxin,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 579–582, 1997.
- E. M. Schwiebert and A. Zsembery, “Extracellular ATP as a signaling molecule for epithelial cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1615, no. 1-2, pp. 7–32, 2003.
- B. Button, M. Picher, and R. C. Boucher, “Differential effects of cyclic and constant stress on ATP release and mucociliary transport by human airway epithelia,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 580, no. 2, pp. 577–592, 2007.
- S. Tatur, N. Groulx, S. N. Orlov, and R. Grygorczyk, “Ca2+-dependent ATP release from A549 cells involves synergistic autocrine stimulation by coreleased uridine nucleotides,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 584, no. 2, pp. 419–435, 2007.
- K. J. Cavanaugh, J. Oswari, and S. S. Margulies, “Role of stretch on tight junction structure in alveolar epithelial cells,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 584–591, 2001.
- J. G. Wagner, K. E. Driscoll, and R. A. Roth, “Inhibition of pulmonary neutrophil trafficking during endotoxemia is dependent on the stimulus for migration,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 769–776, 1999.
- K. T. Mc Henry, R. Montesano, S. Zhu et al., “Raf kinase inhibitor protein positively regulates cell-substratum adhesion while negatively regulating cell-cell adhesion,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 972–985, 2008.
- J. Widdicombe, “Structure and composition of airway surface liquid,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 200, no. 2, p. 205, 2002.
- M. P. Carrillo, N. Martínez, and C. A. Iregui, “Lectin- mediated inhibition of Pasteurella multocida adherence to rabbit respiratory epithelium in vitro,” in Abstracts II International Conference on Antimicrobial Research (ICAR '12), Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
- T. Shimizu, Y. Takahashi, S. Kawaguchi, and Y. Sakakura, “Hypertrophic and metaplastic changes of goblet cells in rat nasal epithelium induced by endotoxin,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 1412–1418, 1996.
- J. R. Harkema and J. A. Hotchkiss, “In vivo effects of endotoxin on intraepithelial mucosubstances in rat pulmonary airways: quantitative histochemistry,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 307–317, 1992.
- C. Agusti, K. Takeyama, L. O. Cardell et al., “Goblet cell degranulation after antigen challenge in sensitized guinea pigs: role of neutrophils,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 1253–1258, 1998.
- T. Shimizu, Y. Takahashi, K. Takeuchi, Y. Majima, and Y. Sakakura, “Role of neutrophil elastase in endotoxin-induced mucus hypersecretion in rat nasal epithelium,” The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 109, no. 11, pp. 1049–1054, 2000.
- T. J. Venaille, A. H. W. Mendis, M. J. Phillips, P. J. Thompson, and B. W. S. Robinson, “Role of neutrophils in mediating human epithelial cell detachment from native basement membrane,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 597–606, 1995.
- Y. H. Kang, C. H. Lee, R. L. Monroy, R. S. Dwivedi, C. Odeyale, and H. H. Newball, “Uptake, distribution and fate of bacterial lipopolysaccharides in monocytes and macrophages: an ultrastructural and functional correlation,” Electron Microscopy Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 381–419, 1992.
- B. J. Cooper, “Disease at the cellular level,” in Slauson and Cooper. Mechanisms of Disease, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- Y. H. Kang, R. S. Dwivedi, and C. H. Lee, “Ultrastructural and immunocytochemical study of the uptake and distribution of bacterial lipopolysaccharide in human monocytes,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 316–332, 1990.
- C. Risco and P. Pinto da Silva, “Cellular functions during activation and damage by pathogens: immunogold studies of the interaction of bacterial endotoxins with target cells,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 141–158, 1995.
- M. E. Klut, S. F. Van Eeden, B. A. Whalen, L. M. Verburgt, D. English, and J. C. Hogg, “Neutrophil activation and lung injury associated with chronic endotoxemia in rabbits,” Experimental Lung Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 449–465, 1996.
- A. R. Hudson, K. H. Kilburn, G. M. Halprin, and W. N. McKenzie, “Granulocyte recruitment to airways exposed to endotoxin aerosol,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 89–95, 1977.
- L. C. Milks, M. J. Brontoli, and E. B. Cramer, “Epithelial permeability and the transepithelial migration of human neutrophils,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 1241–1247, 1983.
- T. Yamamoto, O. Kajikawa, T. R. Martin, S. R. Sharar, J. M. Harlan, and R. K. Winn, “The role of leukocyte emigration and IL-8 on the development of lipopolysaccharide-induced lung injury in rabbits,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 161, no. 10, pp. 5704–5709, 1998.
- A. Matsukawa and M. Yoshinaga, “Neutrophils as a source of cytokines in inflammation,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 511–516, 1999.
- C. Iregui and J. A. Mendoza, “Early damages to lung capillaries in enzootic pneumonia of rabbits,” Acta Veterinaria Hungarica, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 1992.
- J. Milanowski, W. G. Sorenson, D. M. Lewis, and J. Dutkiewicz, “Chemotaxis of alveolar macrophages and neutrophils in response to microbial products derived from organic dust,” Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 221–227, 1995.
- T. Gordon, “Dose-dependent pulmonary effects of inhaled endotoxin in guinea pigs,” Environmental Research, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 416–426, 1992.
- T. Gordon, “Acute respiratory effects of endotoxin-contaminated machining fluid aerosols in guinea pigs,” Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 1992.
- K. A. Larsson, A. G. Eklund, L. O. Hansson, B. M. Isaksson, and P. O. Malmberg, “Swine dust causes intense airways inflammation in healthy subjects,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 973–977, 1994.