- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 531491, 6 pages
Survey for Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza from Poultry in Two Northeastern States, Nigeria
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Received 4 March 2013; Revised 20 May 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Timm C. Harder
Copyright © 2013 Ibrahim Waziri Musa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Brudh and D. C. Johnson, “Epidemiology of avian influenza in domestic poultry,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Avian Influenza, pp. 177–185, 1986.
- C. W. Beard, “Influenza and Newcastle remain a challenge,” in World Poultry, pp. 9–10, 19981998.
- NADIS INFO, “Avian influenza,” in National Animal Disease Information and Surveillance Bulletin, No. 2, p. 1, Pan African Programme for the Control Of Epizootics (PACE), Federal Department of Livestock and Pest Control Services, 2008.
- Office International des Epizootics (OIE), “Avian influenza,” in Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals, Adopted Version, chapter 2.7.12, pp. 1–25, 2005.
- D. J. Alexander, “An overview of the epidemiology of avian influenza,” Vaccine, vol. 25, no. 30, pp. 5637–5644, 2007.
- S. Belák, I. Kiss, and G. J. Viljoen, “New developments in the diagnosis of avian influenza,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 233–243, 2009.
- C. Cardona, “Low pathogenicity avian influenza outbreaks in commercial poultry in California,” in The Threat of Pandemic Influenza: Are We Ready? S. L. Knober, A. Mack, A. Mahmood, and S. M. Lemon, Eds., pp. 243–253, National Academic Press, Wishington, DC, USA, 2005.
- A. T. Toure, “Avian influenza,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Avian Influenza, pp. 8–10, Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, Bamako, Mali, 2007.
- M. Artois, D. Bicout, D. Doctrinal et al., “Outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza in Europe: the risks associated with wild birds,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 69–92, 2009.
- H. Chen, H. Li, Z. Li et al., “Swine influenza in China,” Developmental Biology, pp. 124–173, 2006.
- T. van den Berg, “The role of the legal and illegal trade of live birds and avian products in the spread of avian influenza,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 93–111, 2009.
- D. Kobasa, K. Wells, and Y. Kawaoka, “Amino acids responsible for the absolute sialidase activity of the influenza a virus neuraminidase: relationship to growth in the duck intestine,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 23, pp. 11773–11780, 2001.
- J. A. Stegeman and A. Bouma, “Epidemiology and control of avian influenza,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference of the Association of Institute for Tropical Veterinary Medicine and 16th Veterinary Association Malaysia Congress, pp. 141–143, Sunway Pyramid Convention Centre, Petaling Java, Malaysia, August 2004.
- W. Utterback, “Update on avian influenza through February 21, in Pensylvania and Virginia,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Western Poultry Disease Conference, pp. 4–7, 1984.
- D. Areechokchai, C. Jiraphongsa, Y. Laosiritaworn, W. Hanshaoworakul, and M. O'Reilly, “Investigation of avian influenza (H5N1) outbreak in humans—Thailand, 2004,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 55, supplement 1, pp. 3–6, 2006.
- B. C. Easterday, U. S. Hinshaw, and D. A. Halvorson, “Influenza,” in Diseases of Poultry, B. N. Calnek, B. J. Barnes, C. N. Beard, L. R. McDougall, and Y. M. Saif, Eds., pp. 400–421, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 10th edition, 1997.
- M. Liu, Y. Guan, M. Peiris et al., “The quest of influenza a viruses for new hosts,” Avian Diseases, vol. 47, pp. 849–856, 2003.
- E. Thiry, A. Zicola, D. Addie et al., “Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 virus in cats and other carnivores,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 122, no. 1-2, pp. 25–31, 2007.
- W. Hanson, “Avian influenza,” in Field Manual of Wild Life Diseases: Birds, pp. 181–184, 2005.
- F. T. Jordan and M. Pattison, “Avian influenza,” in Poultry Diseases, pp. 156–165, Saunders, Cambridge, UK, 4th edition, 1999.
- J. M. Katz, “Preparing for the next influenza pandemic,” ASM News, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 412–418, 2004.
- Bauchi State Agricultural Development Programme Bulletin (BSADP), pp. 5–8, 2003.
- “National Animal Disease Investigation and Surveillance (NADIS, 2006),” Avian Influenza Bulletin No. 2, 2006.
- T. Tesfai, Training the Trainer (TOT) Workshop of Live Bird Marketers and Poultry Processors Opening Remarks, 2008.
- A. Fusaro, T. Joannis, I. Monne et al., “Introduction into Nigeria of a distinct genotype of avian influenza virus (H5N1),” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 445–447, 2009.
- National Animal Disease Information System (NADIS), “Highly pathogenic avian influenza,” in Avian Influenza Standard Operating Procedure Manual, p. 41, 2009.
- T. Mabbet, “H5N1 hits Africa head on-but all eyes are looking elsewhere,” Poultry International, pp. 46–51, 2006.
- R. S. Morris and R. Jackson, “Historical background on avian influenza and emergence of the H5N1 strain,” Epidemiology of H5N1 avian influenza in Asia and implications for regional control, A Contracted Report for the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations, pp. 2–4, 2005.
- A. W. Mounts, H. Kwong, H. S. Izurieta et al., “Case-control study of risk factors for avian influenza A (H5N1) disease, Hong Kong, 1997,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 505–508, 1999.
- G. F. Rimmelzwaan, D. van Riel, M. Baars et al., “Influenza A virus (H5N1) infection in cats causes systemic disease with potential novel routes of virus spread within and between hosts,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 176–183, 2006.
- Food and Agricultural Organisation (F.A.O.), “Preparing for highly pathogenic avian influenza,” in Animal Production and Health Manual, no. 3, pp. 1–54, 2006.
- A. Nishiguchi, T. Yamamoto, T. Tsutsui et al., “Control of an outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza, caused by the virus sub-type H5N1, in Japan in 2004,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 933–944, 2005.
- W. B. Becker, “The isolation and classification of Tern virus: influenza A-Tern South Africa—1961,” Journal of Hygiene, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 309–320, 1966.
- N. Promkuntod, C. Antarasena, and P. Prommuang, “Isolation of avian influenza virus A subtype H5N1 from internal contents (albumen and allantoic fluid) of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) eggs and oviduct during a natural outbreak,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1081, pp. 171–173, 2006.
- M. Terry, “H5N1 hits Africa head on-but all eyes are looking elsewhere,” Poultry International, no. 1, pp. 5–9, 2006.
- X. Xu, K. Subbarao, N. J. Cox, and Y. Guo, “Genetic characterization of the pathogenic influenza A/Goose/Guangdong/1/96 (H5N1) virus: similarity of its hemagglutinin gene to those of H5N1 viruses from the 1997 outbreaks in Hong Kong,” Virology, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 1999.
- S. Shane, “Avian influenza,” in The Poultry Disease Handbook, pp. 13–15, American Soybean Association, 1999.
- E. L. Stubbs, “Fowl plague,” in Diseases of Poultry, H. E. Biester and L. H. Schwarte, Eds., pp. 813–822, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 5th edition, 1965.
- C. E. Whiteman and A. A. Bickford, “Avian influenza,” in Avian Disease Manual, pp. 1–2, The American Association of Avian Pathologist, Kennett Square, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 1989.
- K. G. Nicholson, J. M. Wood, and M. Zambon, “Influenza,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9397, pp. 1733–1745, 2003.
- R. G. Webster and D. J. Hulse, “Microbial adaptation and change: avian influenza,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 453–465, 2004.