- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 730367, 7 pages
Bovine Tuberculosis and Brucellosis in Traditionally Managed Livestock in Selected Districts of Southern Province of Zambia
1Department of Disease Control, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P.O. Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
2Dale Beighle Centre for Animal Health Studies, Faculty of Agriculture, Science and Technology, Private Bag X2046, Mmabatho, South Africa
3Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P.O. Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
4Amimal Disease Diagnosis Project, School of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University, P.O. Box 12162, Kampala, Uganda
Received 21 March 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Timm C. Harder
Copyright © 2013 J. B. Muma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “The control of neglected zoonotic diseases: a route to poverty alleviation,” Report of a Joint WHO/DFID-AHP Meeting with the Participation of FAO and OIE, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- OIE, Manual of the Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals, vol. 1, Office International Des Epizooties, Paris, France, 5th edition, 2010.
- F. Milián-Suazo, L. Pérez-Guerrero, C. Arriaga-Díaz, and M. Escartín-Chávez, “Molecular epidemiology of human cases of tuberculosis by Mycobacterium bovis in Mexico,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2010.
- S. Cleaveland, D. J. Shaw, S. G. Mfinanga et al., “Mycobacterium bovis in rural Tanzania: risk factors for infection in human and cattle populations,” Tuberculosis, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 30–43, 2007.
- S. G. M. Mfinanga, O. Morkve, R. R. Kazwala et al., “Mycobacterial adenitis: role of Mycobacterium bovis, non-tuberculous mycobacteria, HIV infection, and risk factors in Arusha, Tanzania,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 171–178, 2004.
- E. J. Young, “An overview of human brucellosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 1995.
- M. J. Corbel, “Brucellosis: an overview,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 213–221, 1997.
- J. Zinsstag, F. Roth, D. Orkhon et al., “A model of animal-human brucellosis transmission in Mongolia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 69, no. 1-2, pp. 77–95, 2005.
- J. Zinsstag, E. Schelling, F. Roth, B. Bonfoh, D. de Savigny, and M. Tanner, “Human benefits of animal interventions for zoonosis control,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 527–531, 2007.
- K. Makita, E. M. Fèvre, C. Waiswa et al., “Human brucellosis in urban and peri-urban areas of Kampala, Uganda,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1149, pp. 309–311, 2008.
- A. Robinson, Guidelines for Coordinated Human and Animal Brucellosis Surveillance, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 2003.
- K. Nielsen, “Diagnosis of brucellosis by serology,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 90, no. 1–4, pp. 447–459, 2002.
- P. E. McGill and G. O. Oyoo, “Rheumatic disorders in Sub-saharan Africa,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 214–216, 2002.
- A. Sheik-Mohamed and J. P. Velema, “Where health care has no access: the nomadic populations of sub-Saharan Africa,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 695–707, 1999.
- T. J. Fernihough, W. P. Munoz, and I. Mahadeyo, “The role of Brucella abortus in spontaneous abortion among the black population,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 379–380, 1985.
- R. Reichel, J. R. Nel, R. Emslie, and G. C. Bishop, “Brucella melitensis biotype 1 outbreak in goats in northern KwaZulu-Natal,” Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 183–185, 1996.
- M. K. Hendricks, E. M. Perez, P. J. Burger, and P. A. Mouton, “Brucellosis in childhood in the Western Cape,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 176–178, 1995.
- G. A. B. Barnabas and A. Zwi, “Health policy development in wartime: establishing the Baito health system in Tigray, Ethiopia,” Health Policy and Planning, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 38–49, 1997.
- V. Mudenda, S. Lucas, A. Shibemba et al., “Tuberculosis and tuberculosis/HIV/AIDS-associated mortality in Africa: the urgent need to expand and invest in routine and research autopsies,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 205, supplement 2, pp. S340–S346, 2012.
- D. Maher, A. Harries, and H. Getahun, “Tuberculosis and HIV interaction in sub-Saharan Africa: impact on patients and programmes; implications for policies,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 734–742, 2005.
- M. F. Cantwell and N. J. Binkin, “Tuberculosis in sub-Saharan Africa: a regional assessment of the impact of the human immunodeficiency virus and National Tuberculosis Control Program quality,” Tubercle and Lung Disease, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 220–225, 1996.
- G. C. Bishop, P. P. Bosman, and S. Herr, “Bovine brucellosis,” in Infectious Diseases of Livestock: With Special Reference to Southern Africa, J. A. W. Coetzer, G. R. Thomson, and R. C. Tustin, Eds., pp. 1052–1066, Oxford University Press, Cape Town, South Africa, 1994.
- A. B. Bandara and M. B. Mahipala, “Incidence of brucellosis in Sri Lanka: an overview,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 90, no. 1–4, pp. 197–207, 2002.
- D. A. Abernethy, J. Moscard-Costello, E. Dickson et al., “Epidemiology and management of a bovine brucellosis cluster in Northern Ireland,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 223–229, 2011.
- J. B. Muma, G. S. Pandey, M. Munyeme, C. Mumba, E. Mkandawire, and H. M. Chimana, “Brucellosis among smallholder cattle farmers in Zambia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 915–920, 2012.
- J. B. Muma, J. Godfroid, K. L. Samui, and E. Skjerve, “The role of Brucella infection in abortions among traditional cattle reared in proximity to wildlife on the Kafue flats of Zambia,” OIE Revue Scientifique et Technique, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 721–730, 2007.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, H. M. Munang'andu, C. Kankya, E. Skjerve, and M. Tryland, “Cattle owners' awareness of bovine tuberculosis in high and low prevalence settings of the wildlife-livestock interface areas in Zambia,” BMC Veterinary Research, vol. 6, article 21, 2010.
- J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui, M. Munyeme, et al., “Brucellosis in rural communities in Zambia and factors associated with increased anti-Brucella spp. antibody presence,” UNZA Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 9–18, 2008.
- I. Dohoo, W. Martin, and H. Stryhn, Veterinary Epidemiologic Research, AVC Inc., Charlotte, NC, USA, 2003.
- B. G. Bedard, S. W. Martin, and D. Chinombo, “A prevalence study of bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis in Malawi,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 193–205, 1993.
- G. Alton, L. M. Jones, R. D. Angus, et al., Techniques for the Brucellosis Laboratory, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Paris, France, 1988.
- J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui, V. M. Siamudaala et al., “Prevalence of antibodies to Brucella spp. and individual risk factors of infection in traditional cattle, goats and sheep reared in livestock-wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 195–206, 2006.
- G. M. Shirima, R. R. Kazwala, and D. M. Kambarage, “Prevalence of bovine tuberculosis in cattle in different farming systems in the eastern zone of Tanzania,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 167–172, 2003.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui et al., “Prevalence of bovine tuberculosis and animal level risk factors for indigenous cattle under different grazing strategies in the livestock/wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 2009.
- J. Oloya, J. Opuda-Asibo, B. Djønne et al., “Responses to tuberculin among Zebu cattle in the transhumance regions of Karamoja and Nakasongola district of Uganda,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 275–283, 2006.
- K. H. Nielsen, L. Kelly, D. Gall et al., “Comparison of enzyme immunoassays for the diagnosis of bovine brucellosis,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 17–32, 1996.
- J. B. Muma, K. L. Samui, J. Oloya, M. Munyeme, and E. Skjerve, “Risk factors for brucellosis in indigenous cattle reared in livestock-wildlife interface areas of Zambia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 306–317, 2007.
- M. Munyeme, J. B. Muma, E. Skjerve et al., “Risk factors associated with bovine tuberculosis in traditional cattle of the livestock/wildlife interface areas in the Kafue basin of Zambia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 317–328, 2008.