- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 786162, 7 pages
E. coli-Derived L-Asparaginase Retains Enzymatic and Cytotoxic Activity In Vitro for Canine and Feline Lymphoma after Cold Storage
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Hazelwood Drive, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Received 12 December 2012; Accepted 15 March 2013
Academic Editor: Sagar M. Goyal
Copyright © 2013 Jackie M. Wypij and Holly C. Pondenis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Louwerens, C. A. London, N. C. Pedersen, and L. A. Lyons, “Feline lymphoma in the post-feline leukemia virus era,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 329–335, 2005.
- H. Kaiser, “Animal neoplasia: a systemic review,” in Neoplasms: Comparative Pathology in Animals, Plants and Man, H. Kaiser, Ed., Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1st edition, 1981.
- J. E. Moulton and J. W. Harvey, “Tumors of lymphoid and hematopoietic tissue,” in Tumor of Domestic Animals, J. E. Moulton, Ed., University of California, 3rd edition, 1990.
- W. D. Hardy, “Hematopoietic tumors of cats,” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 921–940, 1981.
- C. Couto, “Oncology,” in The Cat: Diseases and Clinical Management, R. Sherding, Ed., Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1989.
- E. G. MacEwen, R. C. Rosenthal, L. E. Fox, A. S. Loar, and I. D. Kurzman, “Evaluation of L-asparaginase: polyethylene glycol conjugate versus native L-asparaginase combined with chemotherapy. A randomized double-blind study in canine lymphoma,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 230–234, 1992.
- K. L. Boyce and B. E. Kitchell, “Treatment of canine lymphoma with COPLA/LVP,” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 395–403, 2000.
- C. H. Zwahlen, M. D. Lucroy, S. A. Kraegel, and B. R. Madewell, “Results of chemotherapy for cats with alimentary malignant lymphoma: 21 cases (1993–1997),” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 213, no. 8, pp. 1144–1149, 1998.
- D. Simon, N. Eberle, L. Laacke-Singer, and I. Nolte, “Combination chemotherapy in feline lymphoma: treatment outcome, tolerability, and duration in 23 cats,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 394–400, 2008.
- A. K. LeBlanc, S. K. Cox, C. A. Kirk, S. J. Newman, J. W. Bartges, and A. M. Legendre, “Effects of L-asparaginase on plasma amino acid profiles and tumor burden in cats with lymphoma,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 760–763, 2007.
- Lundbeck Pharmaceuticals, Ed., Elspar, Deerfield, Ill, USA, 2012.
- F. Jameel, D. Kalonia, and R. Bogner, “The effect of hetastarch on the stability of L-asparaginase during freeze- thaw cycling,” PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 127–131, 1995.
- D. I. Marlborough, D. S. Miller, and K. A. Cammack, “Comparative study on conformational stability and subunit interactions of two bacterial asparaginases,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 386, no. 2, pp. 576–589, 1975.
- D. Cappelletti, L. R. Chiarelli, M. V. Pasquetto, S. Stivala, G. Valentini, and C. Scotti, “Helicobacter pylori l-asparaginase: a promising chemotherapeutic agent,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 377, no. 4, pp. 1222–1226, 2008.
- M. D. Story, D. W. Voehringer, L. C. Stephens, and R. E. Meyn, “L-Asparaginase kills lymphoma cells by apoptosis,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 1993.
- B. L. Asselin, D. Ryan, C. N. Frantz et al., “In vitro and in vivo killing of acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells by L-asparaginase,” Cancer Research, vol. 49, no. 15, pp. 4363–4368, 1989.
- A. Neubauer, H. Sauer, and G. Valet, “Cytostatic drug testing in human leukemias by means of multiparametric flow cytometry,” Blut, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 433–445, 1987.
- T. Ueno, K. Ohtawa, K. Mitsui et al., “Cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of leukemia cells induced by L-asparaginase,” Leukemia, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1858–1861, 1997.
- A. G. Bosanquet, “Stability of solutions of antineoplastic agents during preparation and storage for in vitro assays. III. Antimetabolites, tubulin-binding agents, platinum drugs, amsacrine, L-asparaginase, interferons, steroids and other miscellaneous antitumour agents,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 197–207, 1989.
- A. L. Stecher, P. Morgantetti De Deus, I. Polikarpov, and J. Abrahão-Neto, “Stability of L-asparaginase: an enzyme used in leukemia treatment,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1999.