- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 940126, 4 pages
Blastomyces dermatitidis Yeast Lysate Antigen Combinations: Antibody Detection in Dogs with Blastomycosis
Department of Biological Sciences, Idaho State University, P.O. Box 8007 921 S. 8th Avenue, Pocatello, ID 83209, USA
Received 31 July 2013; Revised 16 September 2013; Accepted 18 September 2013
Academic Editor: Remo Lobetti
Copyright © 2013 Alex R. Boyd et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Bradsher, S. W. Chapman, and P. G. Pappas, “Blastomycosis,” Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 21–40, 2003.
- J. R. Bariola and K. S. Vyas, “Pulmonary blastomycosis,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 745–753, 2011.
- J. A. McKinnell and P. G. Pappas, “Blastomycosis: new insights into diagnosis, prevention, and treatment,” Clinics in Chest Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 227–239, 2009.
- M. Saccente and G. L. Woods, “Clinical and laboratory update on blastomycosis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 367–381, 2010.
- J. A. Smith and C. A. Kauffman, “Blastomycosis,” Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- A. F. DiSalvo, “Blastomycosis,” in Topley and Wilson's Microbiology and Microbial Infections, L. Collier, Ed., pp. 337–355, Arnold Publishers, London, UK, 9th edition, 1998.
- B. S. Klein, J. M. Vergeront, R. J. Weeks et al., “Isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis in soil associated with a larger outbreak of blastomycosis in Wisconsin,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 155, pp. 262–268, 1986.
- D. R. Allton, R. G. Rivard, P. A. Connolly et al., “Detection of Latin American strains of histoplasma in a murine model by use of a commercially available antigen test,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 802–806, 2010.
- J. R. Bariola, C. A. Hage, M. Durkin et al., “Detection of Blastomyces dermatitidis antigen in patients with newly diagnosed blastomycosis,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 187–191, 2011.
- R. W. Bradsher and P. G. Pappas, “Detection of specific antibodies in human blastomycosis by enzyme immunoassay,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 1256–1259, 1995.
- P. Connolly, C. A. Hage, J. R. Bariola et al., “Blastomyces dermatitidis antigen detection by quantitative enzyme immunoassay,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2012.
- M. Durkin, L. Estok, D. Hospenthal et al., “Detection of coccidioides antigenemia following dissociation of immune complexes,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1453–1456, 2009.
- C. A. Hage, J. A. Ribes, N. L. Wengenack et al., “A multicenter evaluation of tests for diagnosis of histoplasmosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 448–454, 2011.
- B. S. Klein and J. M. Jones, “Isolation, purification, and radiolabeling of a novel 120-kD surface protein on Blastomyces dermatitidis yeasts to detect antibody in infected patients,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 152–161, 1990.
- B. S. Klein, R. A. Squires, J. K. Lloyd, D. R. Ruge, and A. M. Legendre, “Canine antibody response to Blastomyces dermatitidis WI-1 antigen,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 554–558, 2000.
- D. Spector, A. M. Legendre, J. Wheat et al., “Antigen and antibody testing for the diagnosis of blastomycosis in dogs,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 839–843, 2008.
- K. S. Vyas, J. R. Bariola, and R. W. Bradsher, “Advances in the serodiagnosis of blastomycosis,” Current Fungal Infection Reports, vol. 2, pp. 227–231, 2008.
- T. R. Allison, J. C. Wright, and G. M. Scalarone, “Blastomyces dermatitidis: stability studies on different yeast lysate antigens,” Open Journal of Immunology, vol. 3, pp. 98–102, 2013.
- D. Andrae, K. Birch, T. Bybee, T. Ritcher, J. Werth, and G. M. Scalarone, “Antigen detection in canine blastomycosis: comparison of different antibody-antigen combinations in two competitive ELISAs,” Open Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 2, pp. 110–114, 2012.
- J. L. Bono, A. M. Legendre, and G. M. Scalarone, “Detection of antibodies and delayed hypersensitivity with Rotofor preparative IEF fractions of Blastomyces dermatitidis yeast phase lysate antigens,” Journal of Medical and Veterinary Mycology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 209–214, 1995.
- M. A. Fisher, J. L. Bono, R. O. Abuodeh, A. M. Legendre, and G. M. Scalarone, “Sensitivity and specificity of an isoelectric focusing fraction of Blastomyces dermatitidis yeast lysate antigen for the detection of canine blastomycosis,” Mycoses, vol. 38, no. 5-6, pp. 177–182, 1995.
- W. O. Hatch and G. M. Scalarone, “Comparison of colorimetric and chemiluminescent ELISAs for the detection of antibodies to Blastomyces dermatitidis,” Journal of Medical and Biological Sciences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2009.
- S. M. Johnson and G. M. Scalarone, “Preparation and ELISA evaluation of Blastomyces dermatitidis yeast phase lysate antigens,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 81–86, 1988.
- C. M. Sestero and G. M. Scalarone, “Detection of IgG and IgM in sera from canines with blastomycosis using eight Blastomyces dermatitidis yeast phase lysate antigens,” Mycopathologia, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2006.
- J. F. Shurley and G. M. Scalarone, “Isoelectric focusing and ELISA evaluation of a Blastomyces dermatitidis human isolate,” Mycopathologia, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 73–76, 2007.
- J. F. Shurley, A. M. Legendre, and G. M. Scalarone, “Blastomyces dermatitidis antigen detection in urine specimens from dogs with blastomycosis using a competitive binding inhibition ELISA,” Mycopathologia, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 2005.
- J. VanDyke, A. Boyd, J. Sorensen et al., “Detection of antibodies in serum specimens from dogs with blastomycosis with lysate antigens prepared from four Blastomyces dermatitidis dog isolates: individual antigens vs antigen combinations,” Open Journal of Veterinary Medicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 235–239, 2013.
- H. B. Levine, G. M. Scalarone, and S. D. Chaparas, “Preparation of fungal antigens and vaccines: studies on Coccidioides immitis and Histoplasma capsulatum,” Contributions to Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 3, pp. 106–125, 1977.
- H. B. Levine, G. M. Scalarone, G. D. Campbell, R. C. Graybill, and S. D. Chaparas, “Histoplasmin-CYL, a yeast phase reagent in skin test studies with humans,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 629–636, 1979.
- G. M. Scalarone, H. B. Levine, and S. D. Chaparas, “Delayed hypersensitivity responses of experimental animals to histoplasmin from the yeast and mycelial phases of Histoplasma capsulatum,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 705–713, 1978.