- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 982183, 5 pages
Canine Cutaneous Leishmaniasis: Dissemination and Tissue Tropism of Genetically Distinct Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis Populations
1Laboratório de Epidemiologia e Sistemática Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Avenida Brasil No. 4365, Manguinhos, 21040-360 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
2Laboratório de Vigilância em Leishmanioses, Instituto de Pesquisa Clínica Evandro Chagas, FIOCRUZ, Avenida Brasil No. 4365, Manguinhos, 21040-360 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 14 February 2013; Revised 21 April 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: G. F. Browning
Copyright © 2013 Guilherme Marx de Oliveira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Desjeux, “Leishmaniasis: current situation and new perspectives,” Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 305–318, 2004.
- C. M. Aguilar, E. F. Rangel, G. Grimaldi Filho, and H. Momem, “Human, canine and equine leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania braziliensis braziliensis in an endemic area in the State of Rio de Janeiro,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 82, no. 1, p. 143, 1987.
- E. G. Barbosa-Santos, M. C. Marzochi, W. Urtado, F. Queirós, J. Chicarino, and R. S. Pacheco, “Leishmaniasis disseminated by Leishmania braziliensis in a mare (Equus cabalus) immunotherapy and chemotherapy assays,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 217–220, 1994.
- M. C. A. Marzochi and K. B. Marzochi, “Tegumentary and visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil—emerging anthropozoonosis and possibilities for their control,” Cadernos de Saúde Pública, vol. 10, pp. 359–375, 1994.
- L. G. Velasquez, N. Membrive, U. Membrive et al., “PCR in the investigation of canine American tegumentary leishmaniasis in northwestern Paraná State, Brazil,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 571–578, 2005.
- Ministerio da Saúde, Manual de vigilância e controle da Leishmaniose Visceral, Ministério da Saúde, Brasília, Brazil, 2006.
- F. S. Oliveira, C. Pirmez, M. Q. Pires, R. P. Brazil, and R. S. Pacheco, “PCR-based diagnosis for detection of Leishmania in skin and blood of rodents from an endemic area of cutaneous and visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 129, no. 3-4, pp. 219–227, 2005.
- M. H. L. de Bruijn and D. C. Barker, “Diagnosis of new world leishmaniasis: specific detection of species of the Leishmania braziliensis complex by amplification of kinetoplast DNA,” Acta Tropica, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 45–58, 1992.
- P. H. A. Sneath and R. R. Sokal, “Numerical taxonomy,” Nature, vol. 193, no. 4818, pp. 855–860, 1962.
- N. G. Saravia, K. Weigle, I. Segura et al., “Recurrent lesions in human Leishmania braziliensis infection—reactivation or reinfection?” The Lancet, vol. 336, no. 8712, pp. 398–402, 1990.
- R. S. Pacheco, G. Grimaldi Jr., H. Momen, and C. M. Morel, “Population heterogeneity among clones of new world Leishmania species,” Parasitology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 393–398, 1990.
- R. S. Pacheco and C. M. Brito, “Reflections on the population dynamics of Trypanosoma cruzi: heterogeneity versus plasticity,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 94, supplement 1, pp. 199–201, 1999.
- P. Borst, “Why kinetoplast DNA networks?” Trends in Genetics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 139–141, 1991.
- R. S. Pacheco, J. E. Martinez, L. Valderrama, H. Momen, and N. G. Saravia, “Genotypic polymorphisms in experimental metastatic dermal leishmaniasis,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 197–209, 1995.
- F. S. Oliveira, C. M. Valete-Rosalino, A. O. Schubach, M. F. Madeira, and R. S. Pacheco, “Genetic polymorphism in Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis detected in mucosal leishmaniasis of HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected patients,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 683–687, 2012.
- M. Jimenez, M. Ferrer-Dufol, C. Canavate et al., “Variability of Leishmania (Leishmania) infantum among stocks from immunocompromised, immunocompetent patients and dogs in Spain,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 197–204, 1995.
- C. Baptista, A. O. Schubach, M. F. Madeira et al., “Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis genotypes identified in lesions of patients with atypical or typical manifestations of tegumentary leishmaniasis: evaluation by two molecular markers,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 317–322, 2009.
- F. S. de Oliveira, C. M. Valete-Rosalino, A. O. Schubach, and R. S. Pacheco, “kDNA minicircle signatures of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis in oral and nasal mucosa from mucosal leishmaniasis patients,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 361–365, 2010.
- A. Schubach, M. C. A. Marzochi, T. Cuzzi-Maya et al., “Cutaneous scars in American tegumentary leishmaniasis patients: a site of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis persistence and viability eleven years after antimonial therapy and clinical cure,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 824–827, 1998.