- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 169380, 6 pages
Breeding Services and the Factors Influencing Their Use on Smallholder Dairy Farms in Central Uganda
1College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Biosecurity, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
2Faculty of Agriculture, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Received 12 October 2013; Revised 23 December 2013; Accepted 8 January 2014; Published 17 March 2014
Academic Editor: Philip H. Kass
Copyright © 2014 Anthony Mugisha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Staal and W. N. Kaguongo, “The Ugandan dairy sub-sector: targeting development opportunities,” A SCRIP Report Prepared for IFPRI and USAID-Uganda 2003, International Livestock Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya, 2003.
- H. Nakimbugwe, J. Salkner, and A. Willam, “Open nucleus cattle breeding program in the Lake Victoria crescent region of Uganda,” in Proceedings of the International Agricultural Research for Development, pp. 5–7, Berlin, Germany, October 2004.
- UBOS, “Statistical abstract 2009,” in Uganda of Statistics, pp. 40–50, 2009.
- NAGRC & DB, “Improving rural livelihoods,” The Quarterly PMA Bulletin, vol. 2, no. 4, p. 13, 2005.
- B. O. Bebe, H. M. J. Udo, G. J. Rowlands, and W. Thorpe, “Smallholder dairy systems in the Kenya highlands: breed preferences and breeding practices,” Livestock Production Science, vol. 82, no. 2-3, pp. 117–127, 2003.
- NDS, “National Dairy Strategy of the Government of Uganda (2011–2015),” 2011.
- C. Delgado, M. Rosegrant, H. Stenfeld, S. Eihui, and C. Courbois, LivesTock to 2020—The Next Food Revolution, IFPRI/FAO/ILRI, Washington, DC, USA, 1999.
- I. Baltenweck, R. Ouma, F. Anunda, O. Mwai, and D. Romney, Artificial or Natural Insemination: The Demand for Breeding Services for Smallholders, ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya, 2004.
- MAAIF/ILRI, The Uganda Dairy Sub-Sector. A Rapid Appraisal, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Nairobi, Kenya, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Entebbe and National Agricultural Research Organization, Entebbe and Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, 1996.
- GOU, Poverty Eradication Action Plan (2004/5-2007/8), Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MFPED), Kampala, Uganda, 2004.
- M. Kamanyire, Natural Resource Management and Policy in Uganda, Working paper 3, Economic Policy Research Center, Kampala, Uganda, 2000.
- L. Kish, Survey Sampling, John Wiley and sons, Manchester, Mich, USA, 1965.
- S. Staal, M. Owango, H. G. Muriuki et al., “Dairy systems characterization of the greater Nairobi milk shed,” SDP Research Report, MoARD/KARI/ILRI, 2001.
- J. L. Vanden Eng, A. Wolkon, A. S. Frolov et al., “Use of handheld computers with global positioning systems for probability sampling and data entry in household surveys,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 393–399, 2007.
- J. R. Pursley, R. W. Silcox, and M. C. Wiltbank, “Effect of time of artificial insemination on pregnancy rates, calving rates, pregnancy loss, and gender ratio after synchronization of ovulation in lactating dairy cows,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 2139–2144, 1998.
- GOU, Plan for Modernization of Agriculture: Eradicating Poverty in Uganda, MAAIF/MFPED, 2000.
- M. Ngigi, Building on Success in African Agriculture-Smallholder Dairy in Kenya, Focus 12, Brief 6 of 10, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- G. E. Valergakis, G. Arsenos, and G. Banos, “Comparison of artificial insemination and natural service cost effectiveness in dairy cattle,” Animal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 293–300, 2007.
- D. Balikowa, “Participation of small-scale dairy producers in rationalisation and harmonisation of dairy sector policies and regulations in Eastern Africa,” South Western Uganda Milk Shade Study Report, Regional Land Management Unit (RELMA)/Eastern and Central Africa. Programme for Agricultural Policy Analysis (ECAPAPA), 2004.
- H. Kaaya, B. Bashaasha, and D. Mutetikka, “Determinants of utilization of artificial insemination (AI) services among Ugandan dairy farmers,” Eastern Africa Journal of Rural Development, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 34–43, 2005.
- M. Wambugu, R. Wahome, C. Gachuiri, R. Kaitho, A. Omore, and J. Tanner, “Delivery of technical information to smallholder dairy farmers in Kiambu District,” in Proceedings of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Biennial Conference, Kabete Campus, University of Nairobi, August 1998.
- A. O. Omore, J. J. McDermott, H. M. Muriuki, and W. Thorpe, “Smallholder dairy herd management in Kenya,” in Proceedings of the “Dairy Farm Management” at the 25th International Dairy Congress, Aarhus, Denmark, September 1998.
- L. A. Bragg and T. J. Dalton, “Factors affecting the decision to exit dairy farming: a two-stage regression analysis,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 3092–3098, 2004.
- A. N. Muli, R. Kaitho, C. K. Gachuiri, R. G. Wahome, and J. Tanner, “Effects of water sources and watering frequency for dairy cattle on water offered and milk production in Kiambu District,” in Proceedings of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Biennial Conference, Kabete Campus, University of Nairobi, August 1998.
- E. B. Majiwa, M. M. Kavoi, and H. Murage, “Smallholder dairying in Kenya: the assessment of the technical efficiency using the stochastic production frontier model,” Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology, vol. 14, no. 2, 2012.
- J. Moran, Tropical Dairy Farming: Feeding Management for Smallholder Dairy Farmersin the Humid Tropics, Landlinks press, 2005.