- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 212864, 8 pages
Genotypes, Antibiotic Resistance, and ST-8 Genetic Clone in Campylobacter Isolates from Sheep and Goats in Grenada
1School of Veterinary Medicine, St. George’s University, P.O. Box 7, St. George, Grenada
2Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1333 Gortner Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108, USA
Received 16 September 2013; Revised 17 December 2013; Accepted 18 December 2013; Published 11 February 2014
Academic Editor: Philip H. Kass
Copyright © 2014 Diana M. Stone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- CDC, 2012, http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases.
- K. Smith, “Epidemiology of Campylobacter in humans, food and drug administration, US department of health & human services,” 2009, http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/AntimicrobialResistance/ucm083597.htm.
- J. E. Moore, M. D. Barton, I. S. Blair et al., “The epidemiology of antibiotic resistance in Campylobacter,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1955–1966, 2006.
- O. Sahin, P. J. Plummer, D. M. Jordan et al., “Emergence of a tetracycline-resistant Campylobacter jejuni clone associated with outbreaks of ovine abortion in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1663–1671, 2008.
- O. Sahin, C. Fitzgerald, S. Stroika et al., “Molecular evidence for zoonotic transmission of an emergent, highly pathogenic Campylobacter jejuni clone in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 680–687, 2012.
- A. A. Adesiyun, J. S. Kaminjolo, R. Loregnard, and W. Kitson-Piggott, “Campylobacter infections in calves, piglets, lambs and kids in Trinidad,” British Veterinary Journal, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 547–556, 1992.
- A. B. Garcia, W. B. Steele, and D. J. Taylor, “Prevalence and carcass contamination with Campylobacter in sheep sent for slaughter in Scotland,” Journal of Food Safety, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 237–250, 2010.
- E. Rahimi, H. R. Kazemeini, S. Safaei et al., “Detection and identification of Campylobacter spp. from retail raw chicken, turkey, sheep and goat meat in Ahvaz, Iran,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 15, pp. 1620–1623, 2010.
- M. D. Salihu, A. U. Junaidu, S. I. Oboegbulem, and G. O. Egwu, “Prevalence and biotypes of Campylobacter species isolated from sheep in Sokoto State, Nigeria,” International Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 1, pp. 6–9, 2009.
- N. V. Harris, T. J. Kimball, Bennett et al., “Campylobacter jejuni enteritis associated with raw goat's milk,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 1987.
- S. Lévesque, E. Frost, R. D. Arbeit, and S. Michaud, “Multilocus sequence typing of Campylobacter jejuni isolates from humans, chickens, raw milk, and environmental water in Quebec, Canada,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 3404–3411, 2008.
- E. Rahimi, M. Ameri, and H. R. Kazemeini, “Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter species isolated from raw camel, beef, lamb, and goat meat in Iran,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 443–447, 2010.
- M. A. Raji, J. O. Adekeye, J. K. P. Kwaga, and J. O. O. Bale, “Bioserogroups of Campylobacter species isolated from sheep in Kaduna State, Nigeria,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 215–221, 2000.
- S. K. Sheppard, J. F. Dallas, M. MacRae et al., “Campylobacter genotypes from food animals, environmental sources and clinical disease in Scotland,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 134, no. 1-2, pp. 96–103, 2009.
- T. Woldemariam, D. Asrat, and G. Zewde, “Prevalence of thermophilic Campylobacter species in carcasses from sheep and goats in an abattoir in Debre Zeit area, Ethiopia,” The Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, vol. 23, pp. 229–233, 2009.
- “Government of Grenada Official Web Site,” 2012, http://www.gov.gd.
- Grenada Ministry of Agriculture, Annual Agriculture Review publication, 2009.
- H. Hariharan, S. Sharma, A. Chikweto, V. Matthew, and C. DeAllie, “Antimicrobial drug resistance as determined by the E-test in Campylobacter jejuni, C. coli, and C. lari isolates from the ceca of broiler and layer chickens in Grenada,” Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2009.
- A. M. Werno, J. D. Klena, G. M. Shaw, and D. R. Murdoch, “Fatal case of Campylobacter lari prosthetic joint infection and bacteremia in an immunocompetent patient,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1053–1055, 2002.
- G. Dobbin, H. Hariharan, P.-Y. Daoust et al., “Bacterial flora of free-living double-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) chicks on Prince Edward Island, Canada, with reference to enteric bacteria and antibiotic resistance,” Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 2005.
- E. Guévremont, É. Nadeau, M. Sirois, and S. Quessy, “Antimicrobial susceptibilities of thermophilic Campylobacter from humans, swine, and chicken broilers,” Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 81–86, 2006.
- CLSI, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing, 19th informational Supplement M100-S19, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2009.
- V. Lorian, Antibiotics in Laboratory Medicine, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 3rd edition, 1991.
- K. E. Dingle, F. M. Colles, D. R. A. Wareing et al., “Multilocus sequence typing system for Campylobacter jejuni,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 14–23, 2001.
- K. E. Dingle, F. M. Colles, R. Ure et al., “Molecular characterization of Campylobacter jejuni clones: a basis for epidemiologic investigation,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 949–955, 2002.
- L. M. Schouls, S. Reulen, B. Duim et al., “Comparative genotyping of Campylobacter jejuni by amplified fragment length polymorphism, multilocus sequence typing, and short repeat sequencing: strain diversity, host range, and recombination,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2003.
- E. Shin and Y. Lee, “Comparison of three different methods for Campylobacter isolation from porcine intestines,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 647–650, 2009.
- A. S. Kiess, H. M. Parker, and C. D. McDaniel, “Evaluation of different selective media and culturing techniques for the quantification of Campylobacter ssp. from broiler litter,” Poultry Science, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 1755–1762, 2010.
- L. K. Williams, L. C. Sait, T. A. Cogan, F. Jorgensen, R. Grogono-Thomas, and T. J. Humphrey, “Enrichment culture can bias the isolation of Campylobacter subtypes,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 140, pp. 1227–1235, 2012.
- M. T. Musgrove, M. E. Berrang, J. A. Byrd, N. J. Stern, and N. A. Cox, “Detection of Campylobacter spp. in Ceca and crops with and without enrichment,” Poultry Science, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 825–828, 2001.
- E. L. Sproston, I. D. Ogden, M. MacRae et al., “Temporal variation and host association in the Campylobacter population in a longitudinal ruminant farm study,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 18, pp. 6579–6586, 2011.
- L. Scott, P. Menzies, R. J. Reid-Smith et al., “Antimicrobial Resistance in Campylobacter spp. isolated from Ontario sheep flocks and associations between antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance,” Zoonoses and Public Health, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 294–301, 2012.
- B. Oporto, R. A. Juste, and A. Hurtado, “Phenotypic and genotypic antimicrobial resistance profiles of Campylobacter jejuni isolated from cattle, sheep, and free-range poultry faeces,” International Journal of Microbiology, vol. 2009, Article ID 456573, 8 pages, 2009.
- P. Luber, E. Bartelt, E. Genschow, J. Wagner, and H. Hahn, “Comparison of broth microdilution, E test, and agar dilution methods for antibiotic susceptibility testing of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 1062–1068, 2003.
- B. Ge, F. Wand, M. Sjolund-Karlsson, and P. F. McDermott, “Antimicrobial resistance in Campylobacter: susceptibility testing methods and resistance trends,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2013.