- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 409573, 10 pages
Retrospective and Prospective Investigations about “Quatrefoil” Erythrocytes in Canine Blood Smears
1Department of Veterinary Sciences, University of Pisa, via Livornese Lato Monte, San Piero a Grado, 56124 Pisa, Italy
2Department of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, University of Teramo, Piazza Aldo Moro 45, 64100 Teramo, Italy
Received 26 August 2013; Revised 7 October 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013; Published 6 January 2014
Academic Editor: Francesca Mancianti
Copyright © 2014 Alessandra Gavazza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Barger, “Erythrocyte morphology,” in Schalm'S Veterinary Hematology, pp. 144–151, Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, Iowa, USA, 6th edition, 2010.
- R. W. Allison and J. H. Meinkoth, “Hematology without the numbers: in-clinic blood film evaluation,” Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 245–266, 2007.
- R. Cowell, J. Meinkoth, and F. Metzge, “The 3 minute blood film-erythrocyte evaluation,” in Proceeding of the Atlantic Coast Veterinary Conference, Clinical Pathology Section, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, 2008.
- D. B. DeNicola, “Hematologic evaluation of dogs & cats I: why is the blood film needed?” in Proceeding of the Western Veterinary Conference, pp. 18–22, Clinical Pathology Section, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2007.
- M. M. Christopher, “Erythrocyte shape abnormalities: visual clues to systemic biochemical changes,” in Proceedings of the 11th European Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathology Conference, pp. 33–40, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2009.
- C. W. Brockus, “Erythrocyte,” in Veterinary Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Pathology, pp. 3–44, Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex, UK, 5th edition, 2011.
- R. V. Pierre, “Red cell morphology and the peripheral blood film,” Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 25–61, 2002.
- M. Ricci, Investigations on erythrocyte morphological alterations in the dog: artifacts or reality [M.S. thesis], University of Pisa, 2010.
- G. Lubas, A. Gavazza, B. Gugliucci, A. Pasquini, and M. Ricci, “Investigations about canine erythrocyte morphology: observation of a new modification, the “Quatrefoil” erythrocytes,” in Proceeding of the 65th Meeting of the Italian Society for Veterinary Sciences (SISVet '11), pp. 195–197, Tropea-Drapia VV, Italy, 2011.
- M. Brettoni, Observations and considerations on the peripheral blood smear in the dog [M.S. thesis], University of Pisa, 2012.
- A. Gavazza, G. Lubas, M. Ricci, B. Gugliucci, and A. Pasquini, “The “quatrefoil” erythrocytes: un-expected pattern in canine red blood cell morphology,” in Proceedings of the 15th Internal Society of Animal Clinical Pathology & 14th European Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathology Conference, pp. 162–163, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2012.
- G. Lubas, A. Gavazza, B. Gugliucci, A. Pasquini, and M. Ricci, “Canine erythrocyte morphology: observation of a new modification, the “quatrefoil” erythrocytes,” in Trends in Veterinary Sciences, C. Boiti, A. Ferlazzo, A. Gaiti, et al., Eds., pp. 135–139, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2013.
- A. Goel, V. Dani, and D. K. Dhawan, “Role of zinc in mitigating the toxic effects of chlorpyrifos on hematological alterations and electron microscopic observations in rat blood,” BioMetals, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 483–492, 2006.
- D. J. Weiss, “Uniform evaluation and semiquantitative reporting of hematologic data in veterinary laboratories,” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 27–31, 1984.
- J. W. Harvey, “Hematology procedures,” in Veterinary Hematology: A Diagnostic Guide and Color Atlas, pp. 11–32, Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 1st edition, 2012.
- U. Windberger, A. Bartholovitsch, R. Plasenzetti, K. J. Korak, and G. Heinze, “Whole blood viscosity, plasma viscosity and erythrocyte aggregation in nine mammalian species: reference values and comparison of data,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 431–440, 2003.
- M. Kafka and T. Yermiahu, “The effect of EDTA as an anticoagulant on the osmotic fragility of erythrocytes,” Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 213–216, 1998.
- L. Pinteric, J. F. Manery, I. H. Chaudry, and G. Madapallimattam, “The effect of EDTA, cations, and various buffers on the morphology of erythrocyte membranes: an electron microscopic study,” Blood, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 709–724, 1975.
- J.-B. Fournier, D. Lacoste, and E. Raphaël, “Fluctuation spectrum of fluid membranes coupled to an elastic meshwork: jump of the effective surface tension at the mesh size,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 1, Article ID 018102, 2004.
- H. Basu, A. K. Dharmadhikari, J. A. Dharmadhikari, S. Sharma, and D. Mathur, “Tank treading of optically trapped red blood cells in shear flow,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 1604–1612, 2011.
- K.-I. Tsubota and S. Wada, “Elastic force of red blood cell membrane during tank-treading motion: consideration of the membrane's natural state,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 356–364, 2010.
- J. M. Skotheim and T. W. Secomb, “Red blood cells and other nonspherical capsules in shear flow: oscillatory dynamics and the tank-treading-to-tumbling transition,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 7, Article ID 078301, 2007.
- T. M. Fischer, “Shape memory of human red blood cells,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 3304–3313, 2004.
- P. Bongrand, “Adhesion of cells,” in Handbook of Biological Physics, pp. 755–796, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1995.
- M. Elblbesy and A. Hereba, “Effect of viscosity and surface tension on erythrocytes adhesion,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 872–874, 2009.
- G. Barshtein, D. Wajnblum, and S. Yedgar, “Kinetics of linear rouleaux formation studied by visual monitoring of red cell dynamic organization,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 2470–2474, 2000.
- P. Steffen, A. Jung, D. B. Nguyen et al., “Stimulation of human red blood cells leads to Ca2+-mediated intercellular adhesion,” Cell Calcium, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 54–61, 2011.
- A. Marczak, M. Walczak, and Z. Jóźwiak, “The combined effect of IDA and glutaraldehyde on the erythrocyte membrane proteins,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 335, no. 1-2, pp. 154–162, 2007.
- A. Marczak and Z. Jóźwiak, “The interaction of DNR and glutaraldehyde with cell membrane proteins leads to morphological changes in erythrocytes,” Cancer Letters, vol. 260, no. 1-2, pp. 118–126, 2008.