- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 481460, 7 pages
Evaluation of the Cerebral State Index in Cats under Isoflurane Anaesthesia: Dose-Effect Relationship and Prediction of Clinical Signs
1Centro de Investigação em Ciências Veterinárias, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologia, Campo Grande 376, 1749-024 Lisboa, Portugal
2Hospital Veterinário do Porto, Travessa Silva Porto 174, 4250-475 Porto, Portugal
3REQUIMTE, Laboratório de Toxicologia, Faculdade de Farmácia da Universidade do Porto, Rua de Jorge Viterbo Ferreira No. 228, 4050-313 Porto, Portugal
Received 24 October 2013; Accepted 11 December 2013; Published 30 January 2014
Academic Editor: Pedro J. Ginel
Copyright © 2014 Joana R. Sousa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Beldao, R. Eddie Clutton, K. J. Blissitt, J. C. Duncan, F. G. Laredo, and M. E. G. de Montes, “The bispectral index during recovery from halothane and sevoflurane anaesthesia in horses,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2010.
- L. M. Ribeiro, D. A. Ferreira, S. Brás, J. M. Gonzalo-Orden, and L. M. Antunes, “Correlation between clinical signs of depth of anaesthesia and cerebral state index responses in dogs with different target-controlled infusions of propofol,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2012.
- A. Silva, D. A. Ferreira, C. Venâncio, A. P. Souza, and L. M. Antunes, “Performance of electroencephalogram-derived parameters in prediction of depth of anaesthesia in a rabbit model,” The British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 540–547, 2011.
- L. A. Lamont, S. A. Greene, K. A. Grimm, and W. J. Tranquilli, “Relationship of bispectral index to minimum alveolar concentration multiples of sevoflurane in cats,” The American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2004.
- L. A. Lamont, S. A. Greene, K. A. Grimm, and W. J. Tranquilli, “Relationship of feline bispectral index to multiples of isoflurane minimum alveolar concentration,” Comparative Medicine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 269–274, 2005.
- S. C. Hoymork, K. Hval, E. W. Jensen, and J. Raeder, “Can the cerebral state monitor replace the bispectral index in monitoring hypnotic effect during propofol/remifentanil anaesthesia?” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 210–216, 2007.
- Danmeter, CSM Monitor User Guide, 2007, http://www.danmeter.dk/, http://www.danmeter.dk/products/neuromonitoring/csmmonitor/userguides/CSM%20Monitor%20MKII%20-%20Manual%20561105003%20(US%20only).pdf.
- R. Keegan, Inhalants Used in Veterinary Anesthesia, International Veterinary Information Service, Ithaca, NY, USA, 2005.
- J. Ludders, Inhalant Anaesthetics, British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Gloucestershire, UK, 1999.
- E. W. Jensen, H. Litvan, M. Revuelta et al., “Cerebral state index during propofol anesthesia: a comparison with the bispectral index and the A-line ARX index,” Anesthesiology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2006.
- N. Bressan, A. Castro, S. Brás et al., “Modelling the dynamics of depth of anaesthesia: cerebral state index in dogs,” in Proceedings of the Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED '07), pp. 1–5, Athens, Greece, July 2007.
- L. M. Ribeiro, D. A. Ferreira, N. M. Bressan, C. S. Nunes, P. Amorim, and L. M. Antunes, “Brain monitoring in dogs using the cerebral state index during the induction of anaesthesia via target-controlled infusion of propofol,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 227–232, 2008.
- L. M. Ribeiro, D. A. Ferreira, S. Brás et al., “Correlation between clinical signs of depth of anaesthesia and cerebral state index responses in dogs during induction of anaesthesia with propofol,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 287–291, 2009.
- P. J. A. Bollen and H. Saxtorph, “Cerebral state monitoring in Beagle dogs sedated with medetomidine,” Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 237–240, 2006.
- L. W. Hall, K. W. Clarke, and C. M. Trim, “Patient monitoring and clinical measurement,” in Veterinary Anesthesia, L. W. Hall, K. W. Clarke, and C. M. Trim, Eds., WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2001.
- N. H. G. Holford and L. B. Sheiner, “Kinetics of pharmacologic response,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 143–166, 1982.
- W. D. Smith, R. C. Dutton, and N. T. Smith, “Measuring the performance of anesthetic depth indicators,” Anesthesiology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 38–51, 1996.
- S. Pilge, R. Zanner, G. Schneider, J. Blum, M. Kreuzer, and E. F. Kochs, “Time delay of index calculation: analysis of cerebral state, bispectral, and narcotrend indices,” Anesthesiology, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 488–494, 2006.
- B. Heyse, B. van Ooteghem, B. Wyler, M. M. R. F. Struys, L. Herregods, and H. Vereecke, “Comparison of contemporary EEG derived depth of anesthesia monitors with a 5 step validation process,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Belgica, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 19–33, 2009.
- M. S. Avidan, L. Zhang, B. A. Burnside et al., “Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 11, pp. 1097–1108, 2008.
- W. W. Muir III, A. J. Wiese, and P. A. March, “Effects of morphine, lidocaine, ketamine, and morphine-lidocaine-ketamine drug combination on minimum alveolar concentration in dogs anesthetized with isoflurane,” The American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 1155–1160, 2003.