- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 528084, 6 pages
Occurrence of Staphylococcal Ocular Infections of Food Producing Animals in Nsukka Southeast, Nigeria
1Department of Veterinary Surgery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka 400001, Nigeria
2Department of Veterinary Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nsukka 400001, Nigeria
Received 26 November 2013; Revised 20 December 2013; Accepted 2 January 2014; Published 12 February 2014
Academic Editor: Lorraine M. Sordillo
Copyright © 2014 Sunday Ositadinma Udegbunam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Forsey and S. Darougar, “Transmission of chlamydiae by the housefly,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 147–150, 1981.
- M.-A. R. Salisbury, R. L. Kaswan, and J. Brown, “Microorganisms isolated from the corneal surface before and during topical cyclosporine treatment in dogs with keratoconjunctivitis sicca,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 880–884, 1995.
- E. Knop and N. Knop, “The role of eye-associated lymphoid tissue in corneal immune protection,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 271–285, 2005.
- J. Åkerstedt and M. Hofshagen, “Bacteriological investigation of infectious keratoconjunctivitis in Norwegian sheep,” Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, vol. 45, no. 1-2, pp. 19–26, 2004.
- O. E. Ojo, O. A. Oluwole, and A. I. Adetosoye, “Isolation of Moraxella bovis from infectious keratoconjuctivitis in a flock of goat,” Nigerian Veterinary Journal, vol. 30, pp. 56–59, 2009.
- P. J. Quinn and B. K. Markey, Concise Review of Veterinary Microbiology, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 2003.
- K. Rajesh, K. Suresh, and N. Syaama Sundar, “Infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis in a buffalo-clinical and therapeutic aspects,” Buffalo Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 110–112, 2009.
- F. F. J. Abdullah, L. Adamu, A. Y. Osman, A. W. Haron, and A. A. Saharee, “Clinical management of stage III infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis associated with Staphylococcus aureus in a dairy cow: a case report,” IOSR Journal of Agricultural and Veterinary Science, vol. 4, pp. 69–73, 2013.
- D. Williams and A. Sullivan, “Ocular disease in the guinea pig (Cavia porcellus): a survey of 1000 animals,” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2010.
- J. E. Frisch, “The relative incidence and effect of bovine infectious keratoconjunctivitis in Bos indicus and Bos taurus cattle,” Animal Production, vol. 21, pp. 265–274, 1975.
- H. J. Davidson, G. L. Stokka, and T. B. Taul, “Prevalence of ocular lesions in cattle from Kansas sales barn,” Cattlemen’s Day, vol. 1, pp. 58–60, 1999.
- K. Kummeneje and T. Mikkelsen, “Isolation of Listeria monocytogenes type O4 from cases of keratoconjunctivitis in cattle and sheep,” Nordisk veterinaermedicin, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 144–149, 1975.
- G. A. Takele and A. Zerihun, “Epidemiology of infectious keratoconjunctivitis in cattle in South-East Ethiopia,” Journal of Veterinary Medicine A, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 169–173, 2000.
- M. Rahamatunnabi, M. R. Ali, M. A. Islam, and M. T. Hossain, “Isolation and characterization of bacteria from keratoconjuctivitis affected cattle with their pathogenicity and in vitro antibiotic sensitivity,” Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2005.
- D. C. Blood, O. M. Radostits, C. C. Gay, K. W. Hinchcliff, and P. Constable, Veterinary Medicine: a Textbook of the Diseases of Cattle, Horses, Sheep, Pigs and Goats, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 10th edition, 2007.
- J. H. Lee, “Methicillin (Oxacillin)-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from major food animals and their potential transmission to humans,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 6489–6494, 2003.
- A. W. Bauer, W. M. Kirby, J. C. Sherris, and M. Turck, “Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 493–496, 1966.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing,” in Twenty–Second Informational Supplement M100-S22, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 62–78, 2012.
- I. C. Okoli, C. S. Ebere, M. C. Uchegbu, C. A. Udah, and I. I. Ibeawuchi, “A survey of the diversity of plants utilized for small ruminant feeding in South-Eastern Nigeria,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 96, no. 1–3, pp. 147–154, 2003.
- M. N. Rhem, E. M. Lech, J. M. Patti et al., “The collagen-binding adhesin is a virulence factor in Staphylococcus aureus keratitis,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 3776–3779, 2000.
- G. O. Egwu, W. B. Faull, J. M. Bradbury, and M. J. Clarkson, “Ovine infectious keratoconjunctivitis: a microbiological study of clinically unaffected and affected sheep's eyes with special reference to Mycoplasma conjunctivae,” Veterinary Record, vol. 125, no. 10, pp. 253–256, 1989.
- K. F. Chah and N. E. Nweze, “Antibiotic use in poultry production in Nsukka, Southeast Nigeria,” Proceedings of the Nigerian Society of Animal Production, vol. 26, pp. 69–72, 2001.
- D. M. Livermore and D. F. J. Brown, “Detection of β-lactamase-mediated resistance,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2001.
- B. Berendsen, L. Stolker, J. de Jong et al., “Evidence of natural occurrence of the banned antibiotic chloramphenicol in herbs and grass,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 397, no. 5, pp. 1955–1963, 2010.
- F. W. Besamusca and L. A. Bastiaensen, “Blood dyscrasias and topically applied chloramphenicol in ophthalmology,” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 1986.
- Ö. F. Ünal, S. M. Ghoreishi, A. Ataş, N. Akyürek, G. Akyol, and B. Gürsel, “Prevention of gentamicin induced ototoxicity by trimetazidine in animal model,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2005.