- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 704836, 3 pages
Signalment and Blood Types in Cats Being Evaluated as Blood Donors at Two Italian University Blood Banks
1Veterinary Transfusion Unit (REV), Department of Health, Animal Science and Food Safety (VESPA), University of Milan, Via G. Celoria 10, 20133 Milan, Italy
2Veterinary Transfusion Unit (EMOVET-UNIPG), Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, University of Perugia, Via San Costanzo 4, 06124 Perugia, Italy
Received 18 November 2013; Accepted 7 February 2014; Published 16 March 2014
Academic Editor: Ingo Nolte
Copyright © 2014 Eva Spada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. E. Griot-Wenk, M. B. Callan, M. L. Casal et al., “Blood type AB in the feline AB blood group system,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 1438–1442, 1996.
- J. Bucheler and U. Giger, “Alloantibodies against A and B blood types in cats,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 38, no. 3-4, pp. 283–295, 1993.
- L. Auer and K. Bell, “Transfusion reactions in cats due to AB blood group incompatibility,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 1983.
- F. Juvet, S. Brennan, C. T. Mooney, F. Juvet, S. Brennan, and C. T. Mooney, “Assessment of feline blood for transfusion purposes in the Dublin area of Ireland,” Veterinary Record, vol. 168, no. 13, p. 352, 2011.
- D. Proverbio, E. Spada, R. Perego, A. della Pepa, G. B. de Giorgi, and L. Baggiani, “Assessment of blood types of Ragdoll cats for transfusion purposes,” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2013.
- C. Weingart, U. Giger, and B. Kohn, “Whole blood transfusions in 91 cats: a clinical evaluation,” Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 139–148, 2004.
- U. Giger, C. G. Kilrain, L. J. Filippich, and K. Bell, “Frequencies of feline blood groups in the United States,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 195, no. 9, pp. 1230–1232, 1989.
- U. Giger, N. T. Gorman, M. Hubler et al., “Frequencies of feline A and B blood types in Europe,” Animal Genetics, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 17–18, 1992.
- M. Seth, K. V. Jackson, and U. Giger, “Comparison of five blood-typing methods for the feline AB blood group system,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 203–209, 2011.
- N. M. Weinstein, M.-C. Blais, K. Harris, D. A. Oakley, L. R. Aronson, and U. Giger, “A newly recognized blood group in domestic shorthair cats: the Mik red cell antigen,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 287–292, 2007.
- U. Giger, “Blood-typing and crossmatching,” in Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XIV, J. D. Bonagura and D. C. Twedt, Eds., pp. 260–265, Saunders Elsevier, St Louis, Mo, USA, 2009.
- E. Côté, K. A. MacDonald, K. M. Meurs, and M. M. Sleeper, “Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy,” in Feline Cardiology, C. Etienne, K. A. MacDonald, K. M. Meurs, and M. M. Sleeper, Eds., pp. 239–443, Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester, UK, 2011.
- M. C. Iazbik, P. G. Ochoa, N. Westendorf, J. Charske, and C. G. Couto, “Effects of blood collection for transfusion on arterial blood pressure, heart rate, and PCV in cats,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1181–1184, 2007.
- C. E. Paige, J. A. Abbott, F. Elvinger, and R. L. Pyle, “Prevalence of cardiomyopathy in apparently healthy cats,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 234, no. 11, pp. 1398–1403, 2009.