- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 850126, 7 pages
Staphylococcus pseudintermedius and Staphylococcus schleiferi Subspecies coagulans from Canine Pyoderma Cases in Grenada, West Indies, and Their Susceptibility to Beta-Lactam Drugs
1Pathobiology Academic Program, St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine, University Centre, Grenada
2Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Ohio State University School of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
3Private Veterinary Practice, St. George, Grenada
4Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Academic Program, St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine, University Centre, Grenada
Received 8 October 2013; Revised 19 November 2013; Accepted 28 November 2013; Published 23 January 2014
Academic Editor: Pedro J. Ginel
Copyright © 2014 Harry Hariharan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. H. Nesbit and L. I. Ackerman, Canine & Feline Dermatology: Diagnosis and Treatment, Veterinary Learning Systems, Trenton, NJ, USA, 1998.
- E. J. Rosser Jr., “Pyoderma,” in Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice, S. J. Birchard and R. G. Sherding, Eds., pp. 305–312, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- L. P. Tilley and F. W. K. Smith Jr., The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult Canine and Feline, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- P. J. McKeever and R. G. Harvey, Color Handbook of Skin Diseases of the Dog and Cat, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 1998.
- L. Guardabassi, G. A. Hauser, L. A. Frank, and M. G. Papic, “Guidelines for antimicrobial use in dogs and cats,” in Guide to Antimicrobial Use in Animals, L. Guardabassi and L. B. Kruse, Eds., pp. 183–206, Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2008.
- T. Sasaki, K. Kikuchi, Y. Tanaka, N. Takahashi, S. Kamata, and K. Hiramatsu, “Reclassification of phenotypically identified Staphylococcus intermedius strains,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2770–2778, 2007.
- J. Bannoehr, A. Franco, M. Iurescia, A. Battisti, and J. R. Fitzgerald, “Molecular diagnostic identification of Staphylococcus pseudintermedius,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 469–471, 2009.
- J. F. Prescott, W. J. B. Hanna, R. Reid-Smith, and K. Drost, “Antimicrobial drug use and resistance in dogs,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 107–116, 2002.
- K. Pedersen, K. Pedersen, H. Jensen, K. Finster, V. F. Jensen, and O. E. Heuer, “Occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from diagnostic samples from dogs,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 775–781, 2007.
- P. J. Quinn, M. E. Carter, B. Markey, and G. R. Carter, Clinical Veterinary Microbiology, Wolf Publishing, Mosby-Year Book Europe Limited, London, UK, 1994.
- T. Sasaki, S. Tsubakishita, Y. Tanaka et al., “Multiplex-PCR method for species identification of coagulase-positive staphylococci,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 765–769, 2010.
- M. Drancourt and D. Raoult, “rpoB gene sequence-based identification of Staphylococcus species,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1333–1338, 2002.
- J. H. Jorgenson and J. D. Turnidge, “Susceptibility test methods: dilution and disk diffusion methods,” in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, P. R. Murray and E. J. Baron, Eds., pp. 1108–1127, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 8th edition, 2003.
- CLSI, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria Isolated from Animals: Approved Standard, CLSI document M31-A3, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2008.
- D. A. Bemis, R. D. Jones, L. E. Hiatt et al., “Comparison of tests to detect oxacillin resistance in Staphylococcus intermedius, Staphylococcus schleiferi, and Staphylococcus aureus isolates from canine hosts,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 3374–3376, 2006.
- R. M. Gold, A. P. Patterson, and S. D. Lawhon, “Understanding methicillin resistance in staphylococci isolated from dogs with pyoderma,” Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 243, no. 6, pp. 817–824, 2013.
- C. Horstmann, R. S. Mueller, R. K. Straubinger, and C. Werckenthin, “Detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius with commercially available selective media,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2012.
- B. M. W. Diederen, M.-L. van Leest, I. van Duijn, P. Willemse, P. H. J. van Keulen, and J. A. J. W. Kluytmans, “Performance of MRSA ID, a new chromogenic medium for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 586–588, 2006.
- T. Kawakami, S. Shibata, N. Murayama et al., “Antimicrobial susceptibility and methicillin resistance in Staphylococcus pseudintermedius and Staphylococcus schleiferi subsp. coagulans isolated from dogs with pyoderma in Japan,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 1615–1619, 2010.
- S. Igimi, E. Takahashi, and T. Mitsuoka, “Staphylococcus schleiferi subsp. coagulans subsp. nov., isolated from the external auditory meatus of dogs with external ear otitis,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 409–411, 1990.
- M. Bes, V. Guérin-Faublée, J. Freney, and J. Etienne, “Isolation of Staphylococcus schleiferi subspecies coagulans from two cases of canine pyoderma,” Veterinary Record, vol. 150, no. 15, pp. 487–488, 2002.
- E. R. May, K. A. Hnilica, L. A. Frank, R. D. Jones, and D. A. Bemis, “Isolation of Staphylococcus schleiferi from healthy dogs and dogs with otitis, pyoderma, or both,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 227, no. 6, pp. 928–931, 2005.
- C. L. Cain, D. O. Morris, K. O'Shea, and S. C. Rankin, “Genotypic relatedness and phenotypic characterization of Staphylococcus schleiferi subspecies in clinical samples from dogs,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2011.
- E. G. Awji, D. Damte, S.-J. Lee, J.-S. Lee, Y.-H. Kim, and S.-C. Park, “The in vitro activity of 15 antimicrobial agents against bacterial isolates from dogs,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 1091–1094, 2012.
- J. F. Prescott, “Beta-lactam antibiotics: penam penicillins,” in Antimicrobial Therapy in Veterinary Medicine, S. Giguère, J. F. Prescott, J. D. Baggot, R. D. Walker, and P. M. Dowling, Eds., pp. 121–137, Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- J. Bryan, L. A. Frank, B. W. Rohrbach, L. J. Burgette, C. L. Cain, and D. A. Bemis, “Treatment outcome of dogs with meticillin-resistant and meticillin-susceptible Staphylococcus pseudintermedius pyoderma,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 361–368, 2012.
- P. J. Forsythe, P. B. Hill, K. L. Thoday, and J. Brown, “Use of computerized image analysis to quantify staphylococcal adhesion to canine corneocytes: does breed and body site have any relevance to the pathogenesis of pyoderma?” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2002.
- M. R. Stegemann, C. A. Passmore, J. Sherington et al., “Antimicrobial activity and spectrum of cefovecin, a new extended-spectrum cephalosporin, against pathogens collected from dogs and cats in Europe and North America,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 2286–2292, 2006.
- H. J. Koch and S. Peters, “Use and effect of enrofloxacin in canine bacterial skin infections (pyoderma),” in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Baytril, pp. 41–48, 1992.
- S. C. Tauber and R. Nau, “Immunomodulatory properties of antibiotics,” Current Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 68–79, 2008.
- H. Hariharan, M. Coles, D. Poole, L. Lund, and R. Page, “Update on antimicrobial susceptibilities of bacterial isolates from canine and feline otitis externa,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 253–255, 2006.
- J. E. Rubin, K. R. Ball, and M. Chirino-Trejo, “Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus pseudintermedius isolated from various animals,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 162–164, 2011.
- D. W. Scott, W. H. Miller Jr., S. M. Cayatte, and M. S. Bagladi, “Efficacy of tylosin tablets for the treatment of pyoderma due to Staphylococcus intermedius infection in dogs,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 617–621, 1994.