- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 947589, 5 pages
In Vitro Virucidal and Virustatic Properties of the Crude Extract of Cynodon dactylon against Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus
1Department of Veterinary Biosciences and Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
2Central Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Received 7 November 2013; Revised 5 February 2014; Accepted 6 February 2014; Published 9 March 2014
Academic Editor: Nikolaus Osterrieder
Copyright © 2014 Kidsadagon Pringproa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Shi, T. T.-Y. Lam, C.-C. Hon et al., “Molecular epidemiology of PRRSV: a phylogenetic perspective,” Virus Research, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 7–17, 2010.
- E. Albina, “Epidemiology of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS): an overview,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 1–4, pp. 309–316, 1997.
- R. J. Chand, B. R. Trible, and R. R. Rowland, “Pathogenesis of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus,” Current Opinion in Virology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 256–263, 2012.
- R. Thanawongnuwech, E. L. Thacker, and P. G. Halbur, “Influence of pig age on virus titer and bactericidal activity of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV)-infected pulmonary intravascular macrophages (PIMs),” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 2–4, pp. 177–187, 1998.
- J. G. Cho, S. A. Dee, J. Deen et al., “Evaluation of the effects of animal age, concurrent bacterial infection, and pathogenicity of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus on virus concentration in pigs,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 489–493, 2006.
- R. Thanawongnuwech and S. Suradhat, “Taming PRRSV: revisiting the control strategies and vaccine design,” Virus Research, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 133–140, 2010.
- C. A. Corzo, E. Mondaca, S. Wayne et al., “Control and elimination of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus,” Virus Research, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 185–192, 2010.
- A. K. Karuppannan, K. X. Wu, J. Qiang, J. J.-H. Chu, and J. Kwang, “Natural compounds inhibiting the replication of Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus,” Antiviral Research, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 188–194, 2012.
- Q. Yang, L. Gao, J. Si, et al., “Inhibition of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus replication by flavaspidic acid AB,” Antiviral Research, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2013.
- C. Liu, H. Chen, K. Chen, et al., “Sulfated modification can enhance antiviral activities of Achyranthes bidentata polysaccharide against porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) in vitro,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 52, pp. 21–24, 2013.
- N. Sun, X. Zhao, X. Y. Bai, et al., “Anti-PRRSV effect and mechanism of sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate in vitro,” Journal of Asian Natural Product and Research, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 721–728, 2012.
- A. Garjani, A. Afrooziyan, H. Nazemiyeh, M. Najafi, A. Kharazmkia, and N. Maleki-Dizaji, “Protective effects of hydroalcoholic extract from rhizomes of Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. on compensated right heart failure in rats,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 9, article 28, 2009.
- B. Auddy, M. Ferreira, F. Blasina et al., “Screening of antioxidant activity of three Indian medicinal plants, traditionally used for the management of neurodegenerative diseases,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 84, no. 2-3, pp. 131–138, 2003.
- S. K. Singh, A. N. Kesari, R. K. Gupta, D. Jaiswal, and G. Watal, “Assessment of antidiabetic potential of Cynodon dactylon extract in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 174–179, 2007.
- G. Immanuel, R. P. Uma, P. Iyapparaj et al., “Dietary medicinal plant extracts improve growth, immune activity and survival of tilapia Oreochromis mossambicus,” Journal of Fish Biology, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 1462–1475, 2009.
- A. K. Rad, M.-A. Hadjzadeh, Z. Rajaei, N. Mohammadian, S. Valiollahi, and M. Sonei, “The beneficial effect of Cynodon dactylon fractions on ethylene glycol-induced kidney calculi in rats,” Urology Journal, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 179–184, 2011.
- C. Sadki, B. Hacht, A. Souliman, and F. Atmani, “Acute diuretic activity of aqueous Erica multiflora flowers and Cynodon dactylon rhizomes extracts in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 352–356, 2010.
- G. Balasubramanian, M. Sarathi, C. Venkatesan, J. Thomas, and A. S. Sahul Hameed, “Studies on the immunomodulatory effect of extract of Cyanodon dactylon in shrimp, Penaeus monodon, and its efficacy to protect the shrimp from white spot syndrome virus (WSSV),” Fish and Shellfish Immunology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 820–828, 2008.
- K. Pringproa, S. Chungpivat, R. Panyathong, et al., “Culex tritaeniorhynchus is unlikely to be a vector for the Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome virus (PRRSV),” Thai Journal of Veterinary Medicine, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 21–31, 2007.
- A. Schuhmacher, J. Reichling, and P. Schnitzler, “Virucidal effect of peppermint oil on the enveloped viruses herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2 in vitro,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 6-7, pp. 504–510, 2003.
- Y.-S. Kang, Y.-S. Cho, S.-K. Yoon et al., “Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli isolated from raw chicken meat and human stools in Korea,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 2915–2923, 2006.
- J. Hong, M. K. Jun, K. J. Woo et al., “Prevalence and antibiotic resistance of Campylobacter spp. isolated from chicken meat, pork, and beef in Korea, from 2001 to 2006,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 860–866, 2007.
- S. Puntawong, S. Okonogi, and K. Pringproa, “In vitro antibacterial activity of Psidium guajava leave extracts against pathogenic bacteria in pigs,” Chiang Mai University Journal of Natural Sciences, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 127–134, 2012.
- Z.-Y. Wei, X.-B. Wang, H.-Y. Zhang et al., “Inhibitory effects of indigowoad root polysaccharides on porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus replication in vitro,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 357–363, 2011.
- S. Gangwar, A. A. Khan, A. K. Saxena, et al., “Pharmacognostical and phytochemical investigation of Cyanodon dactylon L. Per. Leaves,” Current Pharmacology Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 419–426, 2011.
- P. Bag, D. Chattopadhyay, H. Mukherjee, et al., “Anti-herpes virus activities of bioactive fraction and isolated pure constituent of Mallotus peltatus: an ethnomedicine from Andaman Islands,” Virology Journal, vol. 9, p. 98, 2012.
- Y. Li, Y. Zhang, M. Fu, et al., “Parthenolide induces apoptosis and lytic cytotoxicity in Epstein-Barr virus-positive Burkitt lymphoma,” Molecular Medicine Report, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 477–482, 2012.
- G. Mendes, A. R. Soares, L. Sigiliano et al., “In vitro anti-HMPV activity of meroditerpenoids from marine alga Stypopodium zonale (Dictyotales),” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 8437–8450, 2011.