Journal of Atomic and Molecular Physics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 429189, 12 pages
Multispark Discharge in Water as a Method of Environmental Sustainability Problems Solution
1A.M. Prokhorov General Physics Institute of RAS (GPI RAS), Vavilov Street 38, Moscow 119991, Russia
2Semenov Institute of Chemical Physics of RAS, Kosygin Street 4, Moscow 119991, Russia
3Edinburgh Napier University, Edinburgh EH9 3JF, UK
Received 1 February 2013; Accepted 20 April 2013
Academic Editor: Elena Tatarova
Copyright © 2013 E. M. Barkhudarov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Goryachev, F. G. Rutberg, and V. N. Fedyukovich, “Electric-discharge method of water treatment. Status of the problem and prospects,” Applied Energy, vol. 36, pp. 35–49, 1998.
- L. A. Yutkin, Electrohydroulic Effect and Industrial Application, Mashinostroenie, Leningrad, Russia, 1986.
- J. Sketchell, H.-G. Peterson, and N. Christofi, “Disinfection by-product formation after biologically assisted GAC treatment of water supplies with different bromide and DOC content,” Water Research, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2635–2642, 1995.
- F. X. R. Van Leeuwen, “Safe drinking water: the toxicologist's approach,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 38, pp. 851–858, 2000.
- U. Von Gunten, A. Driedger, H. Gallard, and E. Salhi, “By-products formation during drinking water disinfection: a tool to assess disinfection efficiency?” Water Research, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 2095–2099, 2001.
- PCT, Treatment of Liquid International Patent Application no PCT/GB99/00755, 1999.
- L. A. Kul'skii, O. S. Savchuk, and E. Yu. Deinega, Influence of Electron Field on Process of Water Sterilization, Nauk. Dumka, Kiev, Ukraine, 1980.
- E. M. Barkhudarov, I. A. Kossyi, M. I. Taktakishvili, N. Christofi, and V. Zadiraka Yu, “Multispark generation of plasma in liquids and its utilization in waste water treatment,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Gas Discharges and their Applications, vol. 2, pp. 680–683, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, UK, 2000.
- A. M. Anpilov, E. M. Barkhudarov, Y. B. Bark et al., “Electric discharge in water as a source of UV radiation, ozone and hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 993–999, 2001.
- S. M. Korobeinikov and E. V. Yashin, “Bubble model for breakdown in water at pulsed voltage. Electric discharge in liquid and its industrial application, part 1, Nikolaev, Russia,” 1988.
- V. L. Goryachev, A. A. Ufimtsev, and A. M. Khodakovskii, “Mechanism of electrode erosion in pulsed discharges in water with a pulse energy of~1 J,” Technical Physics Letters, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 386–387, 1997.
- A. M. Anpilov, E. M. Barkhudarov, N. K. Berezhetskaya et al., “Source of a dense metal plasma,” Plasma Sources Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 1998.
- Y. B. Bark, E. M. Barkhudarov, Y. N. Kozlov et al., “Slipping surface discharge as a source of hard UV radiation,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 859–863, 2000.
- K. H. Becker, K. H. Schoenbach, and J. G. Eden, “Microplasmas and applications,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. R55–R70, 2006.
- A. M. Anpilov, N. K. Berezhetskaya, V. A. Kop'ev et al., “Explosive-emissive source of a carbon plasma,” Plasma Physics Reports, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 422–428, 1997.
- N. K. Berezhetskaya, V. A. Kop'ev, I. A. Kossyi, I. I. Kutuzov, and B. M. Tiit, “Explosive emission phenomena on a metal-hot plasma interface,” Zhurnal Tekhnicheskoi Fizikiv, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 1991 (Russian).
- E. M. Barkhudarov, I. A. Kossyi, and M. I. Taktakishvili, “Distributed plasma generation in liquids,” in Proceedings of 13th International Conference on Gas Discharges and their Applications, vol. 2, pp. 340–342, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, UK, 2000.
- C. G. Hatchard and C. A. Parker, “A new sensitive chemical actinometer. II. Potassium ferrioxalate as a standard chemical actinometer,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 235, no. 1203, pp. 518–536, 1956.
- V. V. Lunin, M. P. Popovich, and S. N. Tkachenko, Physical Chemistry of Ozone, Moscow State University Press, Moscow, Russia, 1998.
- J. H. Baxeudale, “The flash photolysis of water and aqueous solutions,” Radiation Research, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 312–326, 1962.
- B. N. Frog and A. P. Levchenko, Preparation of Water, Moscow State University Press, Moscow, Russia, 1996.
- A. M. Anpilov, E. M. Barkhudarov, N. Christofi et al., “Pulsed high voltage electric discharge disinfection of microbially contaminated liquids,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 90–94, 2002.
- A. M. Anpilov, E. M. Barkhudarov, N. Christofi et al., “The effectiveness of a multi-spark electric discharge system in the destruction of microorganisms in domestic and industrial wastewaters,” Journal of Water and Health, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 267–277, 2004.
- A. I. Babaritskii, S. A. Demkin, V. K. Zhivotov, et al., Plasmachemistry-91 (INKhS AN SSSRv), vol. 2, pp. 286–303, 1991.
- S. I. Gritsinin, P. A. Gushchin, A. M. Davydov, E. V. Ivanov, I. A. Kossyi, and M. A. Misakyan, “Conversion of methane in a coaxial microwave torch,” Plasma Physics Reports, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 933–940, 2009.
- A. M. Anpilov, E. M. Barkhudarov, N. K. Berezhetskaya et al., “Methane conversion in a multielectrode slipping surface discharge in the two-phase water-gas medium,” Technical Physics, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1588–1592, 2011.
- N. Parkansky, O. Goldstein, B. Alterkop et al., “Features of micro and nano-particles produced by pulsed arc submerged in ethanol,” Powder Technology, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 2006.
- N. Sano, “Low-cost synthesis of single-walled carbon nanohorns using the arc in water method with gas injection,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 37, no. 8, p. L17, 2004.
- V. M. Shmelev, N. V. Evtyukhin, Y. N. Kozlov, and E. M. Barkhudarov, “Action of pulsed surface discharge on organic contaminants in water,” Khimicheskaya Fizika, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 77–85, 2004 (Russian).