Boris Shekhtman, Lesław Skrzypek, "Norming points and unique minimality of orthogonal projections", Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2006, Article ID 042305, 17 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/AAA/2006/42305
Norming points and unique minimality of orthogonal projections
We study the norming points and norming functionals of symmetric operators on spaces for or . We prove some general result relating uniqueness of minimal projection to the set of norming functionals. As a main application, we obtain that the Fourier projection onto span is a unique minimal projection in .
- M. Baronti and P. L. Papini, “Norm-one projections onto subspaces of ,” Annali di Matematica Pura ed Applicata. Serie Quarta, vol. 152, pp. 53–61, 1988.
- B. L. Chalmers and F. T. Metcalf, “The determination of minimal projections and extensions in ,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 329, no. 1, pp. 289–305, 1992.
- B. L. Chalmers and F. T. Metcalf, “A characterization and equations for minimal projections and extensions,” Journal of Operator Theory, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 31–46, 1994.
- E. W. Cheney, C. R. Hobby, P. D. Morris, F. Schurer, and D. E . Wulbert, “On the minimal property of the Fourier projection,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 143, pp. 249–258, 1969.
- E. W. Cheney and K. H. Price, “Minimal Projections in ,” in Approximation Theory, in Proceedings of Symp., Lancaster, July 1969, Talbot, Ed., pp. 261–289, Academic Press, London, 1970.
- H. B. Cohen and F. E. Sullivan, “Projecting onto cycles in smooth, reflexive Banach spaces,” Pacific Journal of Mathematics , vol. 34, pp. 355–364, 1970.
- S. D. Fisher, P. D. Morris, and D. E. Wulbert, “Unique minimality of Fourier projections,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 265, no. 1, pp. 235–246, 1981.
- C. Franchetti, “Projections onto hyperplanes in Banach spaces,” Journal of Approximation Theory, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 319–333, 1983.
- C. Franchetti, “The norm of the minimal projection onto hyperplanes in and the radial constant,” Unione Matematica Italiana. Bollettino. B. Serie VII, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 803–821, 1990.
- C. Franchetti and E. W. Cheney, “Minimal projections in -spaces,” Duke Mathematical Journal, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 501–510, 1976.
- J. R. Isbell and Z. Semadeni, “Projection constants and spaces of continuous functions,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 1963.
- H. König and N. Tomczak-Jaegermann, “Norms of minimal projections,” Journal of Functional Analysis, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 253–280, 1994.
- G. Lewicki, “On the unique minimality of the Fourier-type extensions in -space,” in Function Spaces (Poznań, 1998), H. Hudzik and L. Skrzypczak, Eds., Lecture Notes in Pure and Appl. Math., pp. 337–345, Dekker, New York, 2000.
- G. Lewicki and L. Skrzypek, “Chalmers-Metcalf Operator and Uniqueness of Minimal Projections,” IMUJ Preprint 2005/09.
- P. D. Morris and E. W. Cheney, “On the existence and characterization of minimal projections,” Journal f ü r die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik, vol. 270, pp. 61–76, 1974.
- W. Odyniec and G. Lewicki, Minimal Projections in Banach Spaces, vol. 1449 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, Berlin, 1990.
- S. Rolewicz, “On projections on subspaces of codimension one,” Polska Akademia Nauk. Instytut Matematyczny. Studia Mathematica, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 17–19, 1990.
- B. Shekhtman and L. Skrzypek, “Uniqueness of minimal projections onto two-dimensional subspaces,” Studia Mathematica, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 273–284, 2005.
- I. Singer, Best Approximation in Normed Linear Spaces by Elements of Linear Subspaces, vol. 171 of Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Publishing House of the Academy of the Socialist Republic of Romania, Bucharest; Springer, New York, 1970.
- L. Skrzypek, “Uniqueness of minimal projections in smooth matrix spaces,” Journal of Approximation Theory, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 315–336, 2000.
- P. Wojtaszczyk, Banach Spaces for Analysts, vol. 25 of Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991.
Copyright © 2006 Boris Shekhtman and Lesław Skrzypek. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.