- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Artificial Intelligence
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 457351, 7 pages
A Cultural Algorithm for the Representation of Mitochondrial Population
Department of Informatics, Ionian University, Plateia Tsirigoti 7, 49100 Corfu, Greece
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 14 August 2012
Academic Editor: Catalina Cocianu
Copyright © 2012 Athanasios Alexiou and Panayiotis Vlamos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. J. Batenburg, “An evolutionary algorithm for discrete tomography,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 151, no. 1-3, pp. 36–54, 2005.
- K. J. Batenburg and W. J. Palenstijn, “A new exam timetabling algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 15th Belgium-Netherlands Artificial Intelligence Conference (BNAIC'03), T. Heskes, P. Lucas, L. Vuurpijl, and W. Wiegerinck, Eds., pp. 19–26, 2003.
- R. G. Reynolds, “An introduction to cultural algorithms,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Conference on Evolutionary Programming, pp. 131–139, 1994.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms, Addison-Wesley Longman, USA, 1998.
- R. G. Reynolds, “An introdution to cultural algorithms,” Cultural Algorithms Repository, 1998.
- R. G. Reynolds, E. Zannoni, and R. M. Posner, “Learning to understand software using cultural algorithms,” Cultural Algorithms Repository, 1998.
- A. S. Reichert and W. Neupert, “Mitochondriomics or what makes us breathe,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 555–562, 2004.
- R. Lill and G. Kispal, “Maturation of cellular Fe-S proteins: an essential function of mitochondria,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 352–356, 2000.
- G. Vandecasteele, G. Szabadkai, and R. Rizzuto, “Mitochondrial calcium homeostasis: mechanisms and molecules,” IUBMB Life, vol. 52, no. 3-5, pp. 213–219, 2002.
- A. Trifunovic, “Mitochondrial DNA and ageing,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1757, no. 5-6, pp. 611–617, 2006.
- D. C. Wallace, “Mitochondrial diseases in man and mouse,” Science, vol. 283, no. 5407, pp. 1482–1488, 1999.
- C. A. Mannella, “The relevance of mitochondrial membrane topology to mitochondrial function,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1762, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2006.
- G. Perkins, C. Renken, M. E. Martone, S. J. Young, M. Ellisman, and T. Frey, “Electron tomography of neuronal mitochondria: three-dimensional structure and organization of cristae and membrane contacts,” Journal of Structural Biology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 260–272, 1997.
- E. R. S. Kunji, “The role and structure of mitochondrial carriers,” FEBS Letters, vol. 564, no. 3, pp. 239–244, 2004.
- R. Lill and G. Kispal, “Mitochondrial ABC transporters,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 152, no. 3-4, pp. 331–340, 2001.
- B. O'Rourke, “Mitochondrial ion channels,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 69, pp. 19–49, 2007.
- L. Palmieri, F. M. Lasorsa, A. Vozza et al., “Identification and functions of new transporters in yeast mitochondria,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1459, no. 2-3, pp. 363–369, 2000.
- W. Neupert and J. M. Herrmann, “Translocation of proteins into mitochondria,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 76, pp. 723–749, 2007.
- D. C. Chan, “Mitochondrial fusion and fission in mammals,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 22, pp. 79–99, 2006.
- D. C. Chan, “Mitochondrial dynamics in disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 17, pp. 1707–1709, 2007.
- H. Chen and D. C. Chan, “Mitochondrial dynamics—fusion, fission, movement, and mitophagy—in neurodegenerative diseases,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. R169–176, 2009.
- G. Twig, A. Elorza, A. J. A. Molina et al., “Fission and selective fusion govern mitochondrial segregation and elimination by autophagy,” EMBO Journal, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 433–446, 2008.
- A. Alexiou, J. Rekkas, and P. Vlamos, “Modeling the mitochondrial dysfunction in neurogenerative diseases due to high H+ concentration,” Bioinformation, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 173–175, 2011.
- L. J. Martin, “Mitochondrial and cell death mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 3, pp. 839–915, 2010.
- R. J. Youle and M. Karbowski, “Mitochondrial fission in apoptosis,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 657–663, 2005.
- P. J. Hollenbeck and W. M. Saxton, “The axonal transport of mitochondria,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 118, no. 23, pp. 5411–5419, 2005.
- S. Campello, R. A. Lacalle, M. Bettella, S. Mañes, L. Scorrano, and A. Viola, “Orchestration of lymphocyte chemotaxis by mitochondrial dynamics,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 203, no. 13, pp. 2879–2886, 2006.
- H. Chen, J. M. McCaffery, and D. C. Chan, “Mitochondrial fusion protects against neurodegeneration in the cerebellum,” Cell, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 548–562, 2007.
- D. J. Klionsky and S. D. Emr, “Autophagy as a regulated pathway of cellular degradation,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1717–1721, 2000.
- A. T. Alexiou, P. M. Vlamos, and K. G. Volikas, “A theoretical artificial approach on reducing mitochondrial abnormalities in Alzheimer's disease,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Information Technology and Applications in Biomedicine: Emerging Technologies for Patient Specific Healthcare (ITAB'10), Corfu, Greece, November 2010.
- Z. S. Khachaturian, “Diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1097–1105, 1985.
- S. S. Mirra, A. Heyman, D. McKeel et al., “The Consortium to establish a registry for Alzheimer's disease (CERAD). Part II. Standardization of the neuropathologic assessment of Alzheimer's disease,” Neurology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 479–486, 1991.
- K. Hirai, G. Aliev, A. Nunomura et al., “Mitochondrial abnormalities in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 3017–3023, 2001.
- R. H. Swerdlow and S. M. Khan, “A "mitochondrial cascade hypothesis" for sporadic Alzheimer's disease,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 8–20, 2004.
- R. H. Swerdlow and S. M. Khan, “The Alzheimer's disease mitochondrial cascade hypothesis: an update,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 218, no. 2, pp. 308–315, 2009.
- X. Wang, B. Su, H. Fujioka, and X. Zhu, “Dynamin-like protein 1 reduction underlies mitochondrial morphology and distribution abnormalities in fibroblasts from sporadic Alzheimer's disease patients,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 470–482, 2008.
- C. Geert, A Interpretação Das Culturas, Editora Guanabara, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1989.
- N. Gessler, Artificial Culture—Experiments in Synthetic Anthropology, 1999.
- J. Holland, Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1992.
- J. Barkow, L. Cosmides, and J. Tooby, The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary Psychology and the Generation of Culture, Oxford University Press, USA, 1992.
- A. Johnson and T. Earle, The Evolution of Human Societies: from Foraging Group to Agrarian State, Stanford Univ Press, 2000.
- P. Richerson and R. Boyd, Not by Genes Alone: How Culture Transformed Human Evolution, University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- H. Chen, S. A. Detmer, A. J. Ewald, E. E. Griffin, S. E. Fraser, and D. C. Chan, “Mitofusins Mfn1 and Mfn2 coordinately regulate mitochondrial fusion and are essential for embryonic development,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 189–200, 2003.
- M. Dobrzyński, J. V. Rodríguez, J. A. Kaandorp, and J. G. Blom, “Computational methods for diffusion-influenced biochemical reactions,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 15, pp. 1969–1977, 2007.
- M. Długosz and J. Trylska, “Diffusion in crowded biological environments: applications of Brownian dynamics,” BMC Biophysics, vol. 4, no. 1, Article no. 3, 2011.
- D. L. Ermak and J. A. McCammon, “Brownian dynamics with hydrodynamic interactions,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 1352–1360, 1978.
- S. H. Northrup and H. P. Erickson, “Kinetics of protein-protein association explained by Brownian dynamics computer simulation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 3338–3342, 1992.
- H. Kim and K. J. Shin, “Exact solution of the reversible diffusion-influenced reaction for an isolated pair in three dimensions,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 1578–1581, 1999.
- Z. Frazier and F. Alber, “A computational approach to increase time scales in Brownian dynamics-based reaction-diffusion modeling,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 606–618, 2012.
- S. Luke, C. Cioffi-Revilla, L. Panait, K. Sullivan, and G. Balan, “MASON: a multiagent simulation environment,” Simulation, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 517–527, 2005.
- X. Liu, D. Weaver, O. Shirihai, and G. Hajnóczky, “Mitochondrial kiss-and-run: interplay between mitochondrial motility and fusion-fission dynamics,” EMBO Journal, vol. 28, no. 20, pp. 3074–3089, 2009.