- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 381834, 26 pages
Seismic Response of Torsionally Coupled System with Magnetorheological Dampers
Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, India
Received 4 July 2011; Revised 28 December 2011; Accepted 10 January 2012
Academic Editor: Andreas Kappos
Copyright © 2012 Snehal V. Mevada and R. S. Jangid. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Hejal and A. K. Chopra, “Lateral-torsional coupling in earthquake response of frame buildings,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 852–867, 1989.
- R. S. Jangid and T. K. Datta, “Nonlinear response of torsionally coupled base isolated structure,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1994.
- R. S. Jangid and T. K. Datta, “Performance of multiple tuned mass dampers for torsionally coupled system,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 307–317, 1997.
- R. K. Goel, “Effects of supplemental viscous damping on seismic response of asymmetric-plan systems,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 125–141, 1998.
- V. A. Date and R. S. Jangid, “Seismic response of torsionally coupled structures with active control device,” Journal of Structural Control, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 5–15, 2001.
- W. H. Lin and A. K. Chopra, “Asymmetric one-storey elastic systems with non-linear viscous and viscoelastic dampers: simplified analysis and supplemental damping system design,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 579–596, 2003.
- J. C. de la Llera, J. L. Almazán, and I. J. Vial, “Torsional balance of plan-asymmetric structures with frictional dampers: analytical results,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1089–1108, 2005.
- L. Petti and M. De Iuliis, “Torsional seismic response control of asymmetric-plan systems by using viscous dampers,” Engineering Structures, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 3377–3388, 2008.
- Y. Chi, M. K. Sain, K. D. Pham, and B. F. Spencer Jr., “Structural control paradigms for an asymmetric building,” in Proceedings of the 8th ASCE Specialty Conference on Probabilistic Mechanics and Structural Reliability, University of Notre Dame, July 2000.
- O. Yoshida, S. J. Dyke, L. M. Giacosa, and K. Z. Truman, “Experimental verification of torsional response control of asymmetric buildings using MR dampers,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 32, no. 13, pp. 2085–2105, 2003.
- O. Yoshida and S. J. Dyke, “Response control of full-scale irregular buildings using magnetorheological dampers,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 734–742, 2005.
- D. A. Shook, P. N. Roschke, P. Y. Lin, and C. H. Loh, “Semi-active control of a torsionally-responsive structure,” Engineering Structures, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 57–68, 2009.
- H. N. Li and X. L. Li, “Experiment and analysis of torsional seismic responses for asymmetric structures with semi-active control by MRdampers,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 18, no. 7, Article ID 075007, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- B. F. Spencer Jr., S. J. Dyke, M. K. Sain, and J. D. Carlson, “Phenomenological model for magnetorheological dampers,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 1997.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer Jr., M. K. Sain, and J. D. Carlson, “Modeling and control of magnetorheological dampers for seismic response reduction,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 565–575, 1996.
- G. C. Hart and K. Wong, Structural Dynamics for Structural Engineers, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- L. Y. Lu, “Predictive control of seismic structures with semi-active friction dampers,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 647–668, 2004.
- L. M. Jansen and S. J. Dyke, “Semiactive control strategies for MR dampers: comparative study,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 126, no. 8, pp. 795–803, 2000.
- H. J. Jung, B. F. Spencer Jr., and I. W. Lee, “Control of seismically excited cable-stayed bridge employing magnetorheological fluid dampers,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 129, no. 7, pp. 873–883, 2003.
- G. Yang, B. F. Spencer Jr., J. D. Carlson, and M. K. Sain, “Large-scale MR fluid dampers: modeling and dynamic performance considerations,” Engineering Structures, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 309–323, 2002.
- Y. Wang and S. Dyke, “Smart system design for a 3D base-isolated benchmark building,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 939–957, 2008.