New approximate solutions per unit of time for periodically checked systems with different lifetime distributions
Systems with different lifetime distributions, associated with increasing, decreasing, constant, and bathtub-shaped hazard rates, are examined in this paper. It is assumed that a failure is only detected if systems are inspected. New approximate solutions for the inspection period and for the expected duration of hidden faults are presented, on the basis of the assumption that only periodic and perfect inspections are carried out. By minimizing total expected cost per unit of time, on the basis of numerical results and a range of comparisons, the conclusion is drawn that these new approximate solutions are extremely useful and simple to put into practice.
- J. A. Amaral, M. B. Rosário, and M. T. Paixão, “Data and projections of HIV and AIDS in Portugal,” Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 269–279, 2000.
- F. G. Badía, M. D. Berrade, and C. A. Campos, “Optimization of inspection intervals based on cost,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 872–881, 2001.
- R. E. Barlow, L. C. Hunter, and F. Proschan, “Optimum checking procedures,” Journal of Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1078–1095, 1963.
- L. Dieulle, “Reliability of a system with Poisson inspection times,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1140–1154, 1999.
- U. Hjorth, “A reliability distribution with increasing, decreasing, constant and bathtub-shaped failure rates,” Technometrics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 1980.
- T. Nakagawa and K. Yasui, “Approximate calculation of inspection policy with Weibull failure times,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 403–404, 1979.
- J. Rodrigues Dias, “Influence de la période d'inspection sur les Couts dans l'inspection périodique des systêmes,” Revue de Statistique Appliquée, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 5–15, 1983.
- J. Rodrigues Dias, “A new approximation for the inspection period of systems with different failure rates,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 45, no. 2-3, pp. 219–223, 1990.
- J. Rodrigues Dias, “Some approximate inspection policies for a system with imperfect inspections,” RAIRO Recherche Opérationnelle, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 1990.
- J. Rodrigues Dias, “Analysis of a new method for obtaining different sampling intervals in statistical quality control,” in Actas do IV Congreso Galego de Estatística e Investigación de Operacións, pp. 155–158, University of Santiago da Compostela, Spain, 1999.
- J. Rodrigues Dias, “Sampling in quality control with different predetermined intervals: a new approach,” in Jornadas de Classificação e Análise de Dados (JOCLAD '02), Lisbon, 2002.
- J. Rodrigues Dias and P. Infante, “Parallel systems with different hazard rates: analysis of inspection periods and costs,” Pesquisa Operacional, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 343–354, 2004.
- S. M. Ross, Stochastic Processes, Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics: Probability and Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2nd edition, 1996.
- E. M. Saniga and L. E. Shirland, “Quality control in practice—a survey,” Quality Progress, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 30–33, 1977.
- W. G. Schneeweiss, “On the mean duration of hidden faults in periodically checked systems,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 346–348, 1976.
- S. H. Sheu, Y. C. Chen, W. Y. Wang, and N. H. Shin, “Economic optimization of off-line inspection with inspection errors,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 888–895, 2003.
- J. K. Vaurio, “Optimization of test and maintenance intervals based on risk and cost,” Reliability Engineering & System Safety, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 23–36, 1995.
Copyright © 2006 J. Rodrigues Dias. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.