10th Anniversary Special IssueView this Special Issue
C. G. Qiao, G. R. Wood, C. D. Lai, D. W. Luo, "Comparison of two common estimators of the ratio of the means of independent normal variables in agricultural research", Advances in Decision Sciences, vol. 2006, Article ID 078375, 14 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JAMDS/2006/78375
Comparison of two common estimators of the ratio of the means of independent normal variables in agricultural research
This paper addresses the problem of estimating the ratio of the means of independent normal variables in agricultural research. The first part of the research examines the distributional properties of the ratio of independent normal variables, both theoretically and using simulation. The second part of the research evaluates the relative merits of two common estimators of the ratio of the means of independent normal variables in agricultural research, an arithmetic average and a weighted average, via simulation experiments using normal distributions. The results are then tested using research data from rice breeding multi-environment trials in Jilin Province, China, in 1994. These data are used to demonstrate the diagnostic approach developed for assessing the “safe” use of the arithmetic and the weighted average methods for estimating the ratio of the means of independent normal variables.
- R. L. Hall, “Inverse moments for a class of truncated normal distributions,” Sankhyā. Series B, vol. 41, no. 1-2, pp. 66–76, 1979.
- A. K. M. A. Haque, N. H. Choudhury, M. A. Quasem, and J. R. Arboleda, “Rice post-harvest practices and loss estimates in Bangladesh - part III: parboiling to milling,” Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa and Latin America, vol. 28, pp. 51–55, 1997.
- Jilin Provincial Crop Variety Evaluation Committee, Crop Variety Evaluation Regulations of Jilin Province, Jilin Provincial Science and Technology Press, Changchun, 1995.
- Jilin Provincial Seed Station, Report on Regional Crop Variety Tests of Jilin Province in 1994, Jilin Provincial Science and Technology Press, Changchun, 1995.
- N. L. Johnson, S. Kotz, and N. Balakrishnan, Continuous Univariate Distributions, vol. 1 of Wiley Series in Probability and Mathematical Statistics: Applied Probability and Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2nd edition, 1994.
- S. M. Kaeppler, J. L. Parke, S. M. Mueller, L. Senior, C. Stuber, and W. F. Tracy, “Variation among maize inbred lines and detection of quantitative trait loci for growth at low phosphorus and responsiveness to arbuscular mycorrhisal fungi,” Crop Science, vol. 40, pp. 358–364, 2000.
- D. B. Kamerud, “Solution to problem 6104: the random variable X/Y, X, Y normal,” American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 206–207, 1978.
- C. D. Lai, G. R. Wood, and C. G. Qiao, “The mean of the inverse of a punctured normal distribution and its application,” Biometrical Journal, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 420–429, 2004.
- E. Lukacs, Stochastic Convergence, Academic Press, New York, 2nd edition, 1975.
- E. Lukacs and R. G. Laha, Applications of Characteristic Functions, Griffin's Statistical Monographs & Courses, no. 14, Hafner, London, 1964.
- L. Moreau, H. Monod, A. Charcosset, and A. Gallais, “Marker-assisted selection with spatial analysis of unreplicated field trials,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 234–242, 1999.
- S. Nahmias and S. S. Wang, “Approximating partial inverse moments for certain normal variates with an application to decaying inventories,” Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 405–413, 1978.
- C. G. Qiao, K. E. Basford, I. H. DeLacy, and M. Cooper, “Evaluation of experimental designs and spatial analyses in wheat breeding trials,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2000.
- C. G. Qiao, G. R. Wood, and C. D. Lai, “Estimating a binomial proportion from several independent samples,” New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science, vol. 33, pp. 293–302, 2005.
- D. L. Robinson, C. D. Kershaw, and R. P. Ellis, “An investigation of two dimensional yield variability in breeders' small plot barley trials,” Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 111, pp. 419–426, 1988.
- M. D. Springer, The Algebra of Random Variables, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1979.
- J. R. Witcombe, R. Petre, S. Jones, and A. Joshi, “Farmer participatory crop improvement. IV. The spread and impact of a rice variety identified by participatory varietal selection,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 471–487, 1999.
Copyright © 2006 C. G. Qiao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.