Statistics and Applied Probability: A Tribute to Jeffrey J. HunterView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Mark Bebbington, Chin-Diew Lai, Ricardas Zitikis, "Reliability of Modules with Load-Sharing Components", Advances in Decision Sciences, vol. 2007, Article ID 043565, 18 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/43565
Reliability of Modules with Load-Sharing Components
To increase the reliability of modules, and thus of systems assembled from them, they are frequently constructed using parallel load-sharing components. Examples include jet engines, electrical power networks, and telecommunications networks. We consider the situation when the components operate independently, but when any one of them fails, the load of the failed component is instantaneously distributed among the working components. The entire module fails when the last working component fails. We analyze the survival probability and residual life expectancy of such modules. An obvious application is to the case of the 1998 Auckland power supply failure in New Zealand.
- J. Shao and L. R. Lamberson, “Modeling a shared-load -out-of-:G system,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 205–209, 1991.
- Flight Saftey Australia, “Deadstick in an Airbus 330,” 2001, http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2001/sep/10-13.pdf.
- Wikipedia, “Gimli Gilder,” 2007, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gimli_Glider&oldid=140801954.
- Wikipedia, “1998 Auckland Power Crisis,” 2006, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998\Auckland\power\crisis.
- Ministry of Economic Development, “Auckland Power Supply Failure 1998: The Report of the Ministerial Inquiry into the Auckland Power Supply Failure,” 1998, Ministry of Economic Development, Wellington, New Zealand, http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/ContentTopicSummary.aspx?id=12143.
- W. Q. Meeker and L. A. Escobar, Statistical Methods for Reliability Data, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- C.-D. Lai and M. Xie, Stochastic Ageing and Dependence for Reliability, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- D. N. P. Murthy and D. G. Nguyen, “Study of two-component system with failure interaction,” Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 239–247, 1985.
- D. N. P. Murthy and R. J. Wilson, “Parameter estimation in multi-component systems with failure interaction,” Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 1994.
- H. Kim and P. H. Kvam, “Reliability estimation based on system data with an unknown load share rule,” Lifetime Data Analysis, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 83–94, 2004.
- P. H. Kvam and E. A. Peña, “Estimating load-sharing properties in a dynamic reliability system,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 100, no. 469, pp. 262–272, 2005.
- H. Liu, “Reliability of a load-sharing -out-of-:G system: non-iid components with arbitrary distributions,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 47, no. 3, part 1, pp. 279–284, 1998.
- R. I. Zequeira and C. Bérenguer, “On the inspection policy of a two-component parallel system with failure interaction,” Reliability Engineering & System Safety, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2005.
- W. B. Nelson, Accelerated Testing: Statistical Models, Test Plans, and Data Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- N. Mimoto and R. Zitikis, “The Atkinson index, the Moran statistic, and testing exponentiality,” submitted to Journal of the Japan Statistical Society.
- R. E. Barlow and F. Proschan, Statistical Theory of Reliability and Life Testing, To Begin With, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 1981.
Copyright © 2007 Mark Bebbington et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.