Statistics and Applied Probability: A Tribute to Jeffrey J. HunterView this Special Issue
Review Article | Open Access
K. Gustafson, "The Geometry of Statistical Efficiency and Matrix Statistics", Advances in Decision Sciences, vol. 2007, Article ID 094515, 16 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/94515
The Geometry of Statistical Efficiency and Matrix Statistics
We will place certain parts of the theory of statistical efficiency into the author's operator trigonometry (1967), thereby providing new geometrical understanding of statistical efficiency. Important earlier results of Bloomfield and Watson, Durbin and Kendall, Rao and Rao, will be so interpreted. For example, worse case relative least squares efficiency corresponds to and is achieved by the maximal turning antieigenvectors of the covariance matrix. Some little-known historical perspectives will also be exposed. The overall view will be emphasized.
- K. Gustafson, “On geometry of statistical efficiency,” preprint, 1999.
- K. Gustafson, “An unconventional computational linear algebra: operator trigonometry,” in Unconventional Models of Computation, UMC'2K, I. Antoniou, C. Calude, and M. Dinneen, Eds., pp. 48–67, Springer, London, UK, 2001.
- K. Gustafson, “Operator trigonometry of statistics and econometrics,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 354, no. 1–3, pp. 141–158, 2002.
- P. Bloomfield and G. S. Watson, “The inefficiency of least squares,” Biometrika, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 121–128, 1975.
- M. Knott, “On the minimum efficiency of least squares,” Biometrika, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 129–132, 1975.
- C. R. Rao and C. V. Rao, “Stationary values of the product of two Raleigh quotients: homologous canonical correlations,” Sankhyā B, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 113–125, 1987.
- S. G. Wang and S.-C. Chow, Advanced Linear Models: Theory and Applications, vol. 141 of Statistics: Textbooks and Monographs, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- K. Gustafson, “A min-max theorem,” Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 15, p. 799, 1968.
- K. Gustafson, Lectures on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Mathematical Physics, and Linear Algebra, World Scientific, River Edge, NJ, USA, 1997.
- K. Gustafson and D. K. M. Rao, Numerical Range: The Field of Values of Linear Operators and Matrices, Universitext, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- K. Gustafson, “Commentary on topics in the analytic theory of matrices,” in Collected Works of Helmut Wielandt 2, B. Huppert and H. Schneider, Eds., pp. 356–367, DeGruyters, Berlin, Germaney, 1996.
- K. Gustafson, “Antieigenvalue inequalities in operator theory,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Symposium on Inequalities, O. Shisha, Ed., pp. 115–119, Academic Press, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, September 1972.
- K. Gustafson, “Antieigenvalues,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 208-209, pp. 437–454, 1994.
- K. Gustafson, “An extended operator trigonometry,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 319, no. 1–3, pp. 117–135, 2000.
- K. Gustafson, “A note on left multiplication of semigroup generators,” Pacific Journal of Mathematics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 463–465, 1968.
- R. L. Plackett, “A historical note on the method of least squares,” Biometrika, vol. 36, no. 3-4, pp. 458–460, 1949.
- A. C. Aitken, “On least squares and linear combination of observations,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Section A, vol. 55, pp. 42–48, 1935.
- J. Durbin and M. G. Kendall, “The geometry of estimation,” Biometrika, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 150–158, 1951.
- G. S. Watson, “Serial correlation in regression analysis—I,” Biometrika, vol. 42, no. 3-4, pp. 327–341, 1955.
- G. S. Watson, “Linear least squares regression,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1679–1699, 1967.
- J. Durbin and G. S. Watson, “Testing for serial correlation in least squares regression—I,” Biometrika, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 409–428, 1950.
- J. Durbin and G. S. Watson, “Testing for serial correlation in least squares regression—II,” Biometrika, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 159–178, 1951.
- T. W. Anderson, “On the theory of testing serial correlation,” Skandinavisk Aktuarietidskrift, vol. 31, pp. 88–116, 1948.
- R. L. Anderson and T. W. Anderson, “Distribution of the circular serial correlation coefficient for residuals from a fitted Fourier series,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 59–81, 1950.
- U. Grenander, “On the estimation of regression coefficients in the case of an autocorrelated disturbance,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 252–272, 1954.
- U. Grenander and M. Rosenblatt, Statistical Analysis of Stationary Time Series, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1957.
- R. A. Fisher, “On the mathematical foundations of theoretical statistics,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 222, pp. 309–368, 1922.
- J. von Neumann, “Distribution of the ratio of the mean square successive difference to the variance,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 367–395, 1941.
- J. von Neumann, R. H. Kent, H. R. Bellinson, and B. I. Hart, “The mean square successive difference,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 12, pp. 153–162, 1941.
- K. Gustafson, Introduction to Partial Differential Equations and Hilbert Space Methods, Dover, Mineola, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1999.
- K. Gustafson, “Operator trigonometry of the model problem,” Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 377–399, 1998.
- H. Cramér, Mathematical Methods of Statistics, vol. 9 of Princeton Mathematical Series, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1946.
- R. A. Fisher, “Theory of statistical estimation,” Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 22, pp. 700–725, 1925.
- I. Miller and M. Miller, Freund's Mathematical Statistics, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 6th edition, 1999.
- K. Gustafson, “Parallel computing forty years ago,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 51, no. 1-2, pp. 47–62, 1999.
- S. Puntanen and G. P. H. Styan, “The equality of the ordinary least squares estimator and the best linear unbiased estimator,” The American Statistician, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 153–164, 1989.
- K. Gustafson, “The trigonometry of matrix statistics,” International Statistical Review, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 187–202, 2006.
- K. Gustafson, Noncommutative trigonometry, vol. 167 of Operator Theory: Advances and Applications, Birkhäuser Basel, Birkhäuser Verlag AG, Viaduktstraße 42, 4051 Basel, Switzerland, 2006.
Copyright © 2007 K. Gustafson. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.